You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beorn_of_the_NorthernSea

PLEASE!!! Get the ruddy caps!

40 comments in this topic

Members
728 posts
3,810 battles

I have to ask...  I am STILL a very poor player.  And yet, it would SEEM to me that if you are in a match where the enemy team takes 2 of the 3 caps UNCONTESTED, and even after both sinking a ship, you are STILL BEHIND ON POINTS!!!

So, WHY isn't cap management a thing?  Why are two DDs in a single cap away from the action not being told, "hey, you two, stop your romantic moonlit sailing voyage and SOMEONE get into action in another cap.  To spot, to contest, to defend; ANYTHING!!!

I am just frustrated.  I am watching streams, youtube videos, asking questions in game, and reading the forums to improve my gameplay.  And I am doing so MUCH earlier than I did in my World of Tanks "career" as a tomato.

Now, obviously, the proposed changes in smoke will affect how much DDs can assist team members in BBs, but it even so...  There is no need to practice bad habits, are there? (edit* why did I use two verb tenses here?  I am not going to change it, but, I mean, I've had coffee this morning and everything! *)

And, if I am raging and you wish to smack me across the back of my noggin and get me to shut it, then by all means.  I am a middle-aged cripple; it ain't like I'll get my wee feelings hurt overmuch.

Just disappointed I reckon.

Anyhoo, we merrily return you to your regularly scheduled program.

~B

Edited by Beornotns
  • Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles

I will point out that some DDs are very poor at cap contests. If you have Isokazes vs. Clemsons... the gunboats will generally destroy the torp boats in a cap battle. Then your team is down two DDs before anything else even happens.

Some DDs are really, really good at running behind enemy lines and generally raising heck but not in a straight up duel. That being said, there are some torp DD players who excel at killing enemy DDs (if they aren't too bright). 

It's also extremely dangerous for a DD to cap without support. Two equal DDs can be in a cap, which ever one has support (even a single cruiser or just a spotter plane) will generally win. 

Does that mean you're wrong in your statement... no. I'm not saying that you're wrong in your complaints. There are a number of numbskulls who could cap, who should cap, who can cap... but don't. We've all lost games because of that. 

But it's possible that you're not 100% correct either. There are times when a DD shouldn't cap or can't cap for various reasons. 

• Cool 3

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles

The fault is primarily in us cruiser folk, I think. We often don't support our DDs when they cap, and we're the only ones who can. CV's are too rare to rely on, and BBs can't close effectively.

Radar, hydro, smoke, and AA support are a cruiser's role. Support the DDs. Win the battles. Farm some easy damage along the way.

• Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
3,434 posts

Every class can get upset with another because they aren't doing what they think they should.

Personally I find it frustrating when German BBs seem to want to hump the enemy to death they get that close. Why should that bother me? Because it not only stops me firing my torps at the enemy but also the rest of the team engaging. I've seen a friendly US BB hit a friendly German BB mid-hump and set it on fire. US BB gets pink status because German BB can't put out fire. Now I could look elsewhere for a target but it's not always easy for a big ol' BB to reposition himself elsewhere.

The solution - if you think a ship should behave in a certain way, jump in it and do so - 'it's the only way to be sure' ~ Hicks.

• Cool 1

[RIPQP]
Members
3,710 posts
14,557 battles
45 minutes ago, Beornotns said:

So, WHY isn't cap management a thing?  Why are two DDs in a single cap away from the action not being told, "hey, you two, stop

Why don't you use chat to communicate with teammates?

Writing OP, pls nerf.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have found the reason behind the The problem. "The You First Syndrome" Nobody wants to be the focus of the enemy. Noobs Die, Scrubs Try but Die, Stat Padders hide and snipe. Unicums are Holy Shyt this team sucks I can't carry everyone. Random is Random is Random. A random game a random map upto 24 random players. What do you really think is going to happen? Do like the thousands of players do. Click Battle and hope this game is the "one".

• Cool 2

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles

OP, you're not going to change how people play.  If you think the DD's need to contest caps more, it's up to you to play DD's and contest caps.

• Cool 3

[NGA-R]
Supertester
1,040 posts
5,893 battles
50 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

The fault is primarily in us cruiser folk, I think. We often don't support our DDs when they cap, and we're the only ones who can. CV's are too rare to rely on, and BBs can't close effectively.

Radar, hydro, smoke, and AA support are a cruiser's role. Support the DDs. Win the battles. Farm some easy damage along the way.

I'm so glad someone with far better stats than me has said this.  I've seen way to many battles where the cruisers don't push the caps with DDs and help them.  Its far easier for them to cover a DD and take out the enemy DDs than the friendlies having to do it on their own.  The BBs should be covering the cruisers by taking out the opposing cruisers.  Its all about teamwork which too many who play this game haven't figured out yet.

• Cool 3

Members
728 posts
3,810 battles
44 minutes ago, m373x said:

Why don't you use chat to communicate with teammates?

Writing OP, pls nerf.

You ask a very important question.  And, I believe I have an appropriate answer, but I couch it in the knowledge that my understanding of the game is less than stellar.  And my answer is thus:

I am still very new to this game.  I DO think that there are certain things that should be taken as de rigueur for the current meta in WoWS, but that does not mean that I am adequate to the task of articulating the various tactical thrusts any team should take.  Case in point, I keep hearing how BBs just sit back 15+km and lob shell after shell at the enemy, and yet, I am a KM BB player.  I have the Bayern, Scharnhorst (my most successful BB), Gneisenau, Tirpitz, Bismarck, and Friedrich Der Große, and with the exception of the Bayern I play them secondaries heavy.  So, it is not impossible for me to hang back (BBs have main batteries after all), but it does seem to preclude me from doing what these Kriegsmarine beasties are best at, n'est-ca pas?

Now, I realize that it is NOT the responsibility for unicum players to direct the other players like so many pieces on a Wizard's Chess Set.  And because of that, I reckon it must be personal responsibility.  And so, here we are m373x...  I reckon I should speak up, but who the hell am I?  Just some tomato.  Hadn't it come from someone a bit more... seasoned?

~B

[YORHA]
Members
3,263 posts
26 minutes ago, Ghost_Raven75 said:

I'm so glad someone with far better stats than me has said this.  I've seen way to many battles where the cruisers don't push the caps with DDs and help them.  Its far easier for them to cover a DD and take out the enemy DDs than the friendlies having to do it on their own.  The BBs should be covering the cruisers by taking out the opposing cruisers.  Its all about teamwork which too many who play this game haven't figured out yet.

As a BB main what I have seen happening for some time is the Cruisers head straight for the nearest island and wait for the other side's BBs to show up and spend the rest of the game spamming HE and kiting away.  At some point they get careless and get deleted by a BB which leads to endless posts about how BB AP is OP against CAs.

Meanwhile the DDs run riot and, a lot of times, it is left up to the BBs to deal with them.

Then we get endless posts moaning about how BBs AP is OP against DDs (remember when we used to use actual words instead of acronyms)...  which inevitably leads to WG considering nerfing BB AP.

Lather, rise, repeat...

Members
728 posts
3,810 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Here you go.

rhino-cap_A12393B9_large.jpg

I am a Winchester rifle man, a Remington shotgun man, and a S&W revolver man.  Although my Dad's Browning Citori Skeet over-and-under shotgun was a DARN fine weapon for blasting clay pigeons.

Nice hat though.

~B

Members
155 posts
10,052 battles

When I started playing first I was obsessed with early capping and would die a lot, now I am a little more patient., I wait to see where the enemy team is headed and make a risk assesment before I sail to cap.There is little point taking all 3 caps if you lose half your team in the process.

But its amazing how many games I have been in where we are well ahead on points with minutes left on the clock and people are screaming at me to cap.

So many people fail to look at the points and the clock.

Members
728 posts
3,810 battles
37 minutes ago, Kerrec said:

OP, you're not going to change how people play.  If you think the DD's need to contest caps more, it's up to you to play DD's and contest caps.

do enjoy my DD play.  I mean, I have all the cute ones (Tachibana, Kamikaze, HSF Harekaze, Smith, V-25 and Campbeltown), and several good boats besides (Lo Yang, Farragut, Akatsuki, Mahan, Minekaze) and some I have yet to really figure out yet (Anshan, Izyaslav, Gallant, and just about any other DD in my port).

I think my DD play is better than I've any rights for it to be, but I cannot play DDs while I play other ships.

But you are completely correct!  I need to get my butt out of port and jump in a DD and play.

Thank you!

~B

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,336 posts
11,487 battles

In reference to WOT, have you ever heard of don't cap, kill all?

Some battleships are slow, so slow that they cannot be in position to support capping destroyers.

Some cruisers cannot become focused on, so they play long range support.

Some players are just protecting their WIN8 numbers, where damage is everything.

Now I'm not a Unicom or even close, but I have watched hours and hours of videos. I understand the strengths of each ship and map tactics.  I have noticed that a team that sticks together and focuses their fire, they will, hopefully, whittle the enemy down to a point that they can go into caps.

This game is not about instant 5 minute cap and win. 

This game is about conserving hit points while draining the enemies. 

The last 7 minutes of a game are more important than the first 7 minutes.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
40 minutes ago, Beornotns said:

I am a Winchester rifle man, a Remington shotgun man, and a S&W revolver man.  Although my Dad's Browning Citori Skeet over-and-under shotgun was a DARN fine weapon for blasting clay pigeons.

Browning Automatic Rifle in it's original 30.06 caliber; when you absolutely, positively have to kill every freakin' thing in the room.

(and the hat is totally tits!)

Members
728 posts
3,810 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Browning Automatic Rifle in it's original 30.06 caliber; when you absolutely, positively have to kill every freakin' thing in the room.

(and the hat is totally tits!)

20 round box magazine for the win!

I had forgotten about that old beast.  WHAT a rifle!

~B

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,215 posts
3,871 battles

Speaking as a destroyer: Why should I go for the cap when my entire team decides to run away from it and leave me all by myself?

• Cool 1

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles
12 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Speaking as a destroyer: Why should I go for the cap when my entire team decides to run away from it and leave me all by myself?

You shouldn't.  If you see your whole team go somewhere else, it is good situational awareness to notice this and change your plans.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,215 posts
3,871 battles
35 minutes ago, Kerrec said:

You shouldn't.  If you see your whole team go somewhere else, it is good situational awareness to notice this and change your plans.

While said teammates cry "Cap!" and "Bad DD"

Members
722 posts
5,170 battles
3 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

l try to support when l'm in a cruiser so yesterday l am trying to stay close enuf but still avoid being focused by BB's. We are just trying to take the 1st cap.

Welp my CA has a gun range of 16 km....Amagi detonates me from 15.4 km. He popped out from behind a island less than 2 mins later or Takao overextends and pop Amagi detonates him too. 

About 2 mins after that another BB detonates our full health DD in same cap.

Seeing a pattern here.....

l wonder if perhaps BB accuracy on small ships is just a little too good at ranges exceeding 10 km its fine for other BB's and CV's this was T-8 game.

l play a lot of Cruiser and its really hard now, flame throwers everywhere, every single BB within even remote range is gunning for me then theres waves of stealth torps from DD's or CV's attacking you and this while you try and wasd hack, spot DD's, and try and take em down or another CL and stay sitaware with a low health pool and a easy citadel for everyone to poke at.

Planes constantly spotting you or your torps. Whew lol

The DD's role hasn't got a lot better either as we all know.

This is a hard game huh LOL.

Edited by Furysghost

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,535 battles

If you want a DD to get a cap, try these steps:

1. Make sure it's a DD that has any business being in a cap in the first place. So, not the Russian ones, and also not some IJN ones.
  2. Press Enter. Type, "<Name> I'll cover you if you cap <point>". Press enter again.
  3. If the DD says yes and/or turns toward the cap, go with him and make sure you're in position to beat the crap out of the red destroyer when he spots it.
  4. Win cap. If not, get out of cap alive.

If it doesn't work out, you can always try for the cap later in the game, provided you're still afloat.

Edited by Edgecase

[RIPQP]
Members
3,710 posts
14,557 battles
1 hour ago, Beornotns said:

You ask a very important question.  And, I believe I have an appropriate answer, but I couch it in the knowledge that my understanding of the game is less than stellar.  And my answer is thus:

I am still very new to this game.  I DO think that there are certain things that should be taken as de rigueur for the current meta in WoWS, but that does not mean that I am adequate to the task of articulating the various tactical thrusts any team should take.  Case in point, I keep hearing how BBs just sit back 15+km and lob shell after shell at the enemy, and yet, I am a KM BB player.  I have the Bayern, Scharnhorst (my most successful BB), Gneisenau, Tirpitz, Bismarck, and Friedrich Der Große, and with the exception of the Bayern I play them secondaries heavy.  So, it is not impossible for me to hang back (BBs have main batteries after all), but it does seem to preclude me from doing what these Kriegsmarine beasties are best at, n'est-ca pas?

Now, I realize that it is NOT the responsibility for unicum players to direct the other players like so many pieces on a Wizard's Chess Set.  And because of that, I reckon it must be personal responsibility.  And so, here we are m373x...  I reckon I should speak up, but who the hell am I?  Just some tomato.  Hadn't it come from someone a bit more... seasoned?

~B

You are a part of the team, remember this. Proper communication within the team will lead to interesting suggestions, decisions and situations, especially when you are inexperienced which will give you valuable experience of what works and what doesn't. You will be surprised how many players are shy to take the initiative and need just a little encouragement, a little push to allow them to go for that cap or that kill.  If you feel competent enough to communicate about tactical and strategic decisions on the forum then you should start implementing this in your matches as well.

• Cool 1

Members
1,015 posts
12,913 battles
3 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

^^^This^^^

The most frustrating part of driving any of my DDs at all tiers is that more often than not I end up trying to take a cap all by myself. Sometimes I'll ask for help and occasionally one or more team mates will follow me in but that's more the exception rather than the rule. Playing DDs has helped my CA play in that I know now how I should be supporting them.

To the OP: It's usually not good to be second guessing another captain's action. We all see things in games that we wish had gone another way but if wishes were fishes then no one would go hungry.