You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Louie1701

Higher resolutions(2k, 4k)

23 comments in this topic

[KFL]
Members
689 posts
5,355 battles

I am looking at different monitors and wonder what resolutions people are using with success. I was reading that 4k support wasn't quite there. What about 2k or ultra wide? I tried a search.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

2500x1440 works fine for me with 28" monitor.    4k makes minimap too small, not to mention the writings.     have good fps with gtx970 at either res though 

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles

I use 2560x1600 and UW 2560x1080, I prefer Ultrawide way better, no problems with any of both though.

Switching to 3840x1080 as soon as the new monitor arrives.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
931 posts
10,345 battles

The problem with 4K is that there's no UI scaling so the UI is "tiny" and you can only make the mini map so big. I've gotten use to it and there's not issues with it technically speaking provided you have a graphics card that can support running the game smoothly at 4k resolution. 

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles
5 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

The problem with 4K is that there's no UI scaling so the UI is "tiny" and you can only make the mini map so big. I've gotten use to it and there's not issues with it technically speaking provided you have a graphics card that can support running the game smoothly at 4k resolution. 

Depends, using 4k with a 28" screen is dumb for gaming yeah, it becomes more readable when using a larger size screen (if no scaling.)

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,984 battles
1 minute ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

With the 43" monitor the UI looks awesome.  It's like playing World of Warships through a picture window

(looks at 27" monitor - feeling inadequate)

Wife comes in and says "size doesn't matter"   LOL!

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles
6 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

proof is that she is still your wife :cap_book: :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
3,012 posts

The higher your resolution...the harder your system has to work...including the monitor.  You must decide how vivid you want your picture- the better the detail, the faster you'll be replacing your monitor.  Fact Not Fiction

[KFL]
Members
689 posts
5,355 battles

All very good points in here. I was using a 36in tv. I just bought a 32in curved regular 1920x1080. It's ok but I really thought the difference between the tv and monitor would be more. So now I am thinking of returning it to get a 2k or 4k for that extra wow factor. I do want the ability to play 1920x1080 if I have to on a 4k tho. Some people say it works fine some people say it doesnt.

Those of you thay have 4k screens, do you ever run games in 1920x1080?

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
536 posts
11,824 battles

Using Crossover 40" 405k 4K monitor and games looks fabulous, except chat is not re-sizable and very small.   Using Galax GTX 1080 HOF to power.

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles
6 minutes ago, pck3 said:

All very good points in here. I was using a 36in tv. I just bought a 32in curved regular 1920x1080. It's ok but I really thought the difference between the tv and monitor would be more. So now I am thinking of returning it to get a 2k or 4k for that extra wow factor. I do want the ability to play 1920x1080 if I have to on a 4k tho. Some people say it works fine some people say it doesnt.

Those of you thay have 4k screens, do you ever run games in 1920x1080?

What is the point in having a 4k native rez screen and use 1080p? 

And as for Tv for a PC gaming monitor be carefull in what you get because not all TV's are made for some sort of PC gaming, keep an eye on response time, input lag, refresh rate and most important I'd say to get a chroma 4:4:4 otherwise say bye bye to your eyesight.

That's the reason many PC gaming monitors are more expensive than most TV's, specially comparing sizes (no [edited]), PC gaming monitors will have most of those specs excelled.

IMO if you want big real estate with big rez get the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S1P2D/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER   

Though I'm waiting this one to ship to me https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C7TNC5/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has less PPI (pixel per inch) than the 38" yeah, but I find 1080p PPI more than enough for my gaming needs, I game on a 34" 2560x1080 and the difference will be a wider screen with same PPI, its also faster response, higher refresh, FS2 capable and QLED.

[KFL]
Members
689 posts
5,355 battles
14 minutes ago, Pata1985 said:

What is the point in having a 4k native rez screen and use 1080p? 

Only for games like wows or games that can't run at an acceptable fps. I do have a zotac gtx1080. My desktop and anything else that can run at decent fps will be run at 4k.

Edit. I really do like the curved screen tho so I am still looking into 4k curved at least 32in but want to stick to a $600 budget. 

Edited by pck3

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles

Nice, oh and if you are still in the TV for PC monitor, OLED technology is one of the best atm as in picture quality, but OLED Tv's dont last that many years.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,736 posts
9,439 battles
3 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

I have three 23" monitors on my computer. 

[KFL]
Members
689 posts
5,355 battles
5 minutes ago, Yvonne_Swanson said:

i can only use 1360 x 768 because i have a potato laptop and i don't even have a graphics card lol

Rip. That's sucks tho. Sorry to hear that.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles
7 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

LOL - I have a 19 inch monitor that I have had for ages and a 22 inch LCD TV that I have had - for only a few years less than the montor...