You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sendit2me30

This game is CRAP

61 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
18,015 posts
18,626 battles
8 minutes ago, x2_Weekends said:

I agree it could mean you're good at dodging. It could also mean that the flank you were on was won via skill and unfortunately your team's other flank folded miserably.  It could also mean you're in an IJN DD and you're good at situational awareness and aware of your detection range.  It could also mean you are capping the enemy base while the enemy has nothing but slow BB's left too far to return to defend their cap. 

In short, it could mean any of a numerous possible scenarios that a good DD player will often (maybe always) find themselves in and it has nothing to do with "sandbagging", being a bad or unskilled player or running and hiding.  Those kinds of comments are naive and lack any factual support.  Hyperbole at its finest.

When I'm playing my KamikazeR, I'm often around until the very end, because I do happen to have good sit awareness and work my detection range hard.  Some battles, I won't fire my guns at all, while others, I'll use them quite a bit.  That's very situational.  When I'm in an IJN DD, I try to never get spotted, because stealth is life in an IJN DD.  That said, in late game situations, if I can set up things up right, I'm not afraid to make a torpedo run on an enemy BB if doing so will win the game for my team.  But that usually means that I see that the enemy BB's guns are aimed away from the direction of my approach, and I'm not approaching him from behind, and hopefully I have a speed boost to use to further shorten the time I spend closing the range on him while detected.  But overall, this isn't a tactic I use all that often in an IJN DD.

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,565 posts
7,674 battles
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, most people will tell you that chasing a CV that's run out of planes isn't a wise thing to do if there are other more combat worthy enemies left.  It also depends on the tier and the size of the map.

CVs are the most combat worthy enemies in terms of points (far more than a bb), while in terms of W/L probability, sinking a CV that still has planes aloft is a massive tactical win isn't it? I guess if there are not many dds in the team, and you are needed to cap, priorities shift. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,667 posts
10,299 battles

IF the CV is truly out of planes, chasing him down is a waste of time unless the kill will win it for your team (or you need #5 for a Kraken:Smile_teethhappy:). On the other hand, if those planes are just elsewhere, taking him out is a good thing and your harassing him may make those elsewhere attacks less effective or force him to recall the planes to defend himself. Chasing him may also send him into the arms of an ally. Depending on your range from other enemy ships, you can entice them to fire at you long range (target dummy) instead of easier allied targets. Not every situation is the same.

Beta Testers
1,880 posts
10,762 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 8:22 AM, smf117 said:

So you're saying you couldn't set him on fire with HE to stop him from launching planes and save your torpedoes for a salvo drop to close to dodge or launch one set where his current path is then the other set to where he will be going to dodge the first set? Is that what I am gathering from your post?

To be fair. Kagero is only 2.5kt faster than Enterprise. It can be hard to catch up with one when you need to dodge DBs and TBs.

But if you are the only one left in an IJN DD and the red still have a CV, you should just go duke it out with whatever other red ships left and go back to port.

Members
842 posts

CV hunting in an IJN DD is a fool's errand.

Not only do most upper-tier IJN DDs have a very small (if that) speed advantage over any CV they might be hunting, but that drops to a DISadvantage VERY quickly if you have to turn your DD at all, as IJN DDs bleed speed in any sort of turn radically. A wiggling IJN DD that can do 37knts in a straight line can't even manage 30knts, and if you have to do more than 15 degree turns, you'll be lucky to make 25kts. You've also got the majority of your guns unable to bear in a chase - IJN DDs have at most 2 guns forward, and often 4 in the rear.

For obvious reasons, few IJN DD capts have AFT, so you're stuck with crappy range on your guns, too.

Plus, to be honest, the only way you'll get close enough to torp effectively is if you time it juuuuuuuust right while the CV's planes are on the other side of the map. Otherwise, you WILL get detected, and then are priority #1 for anything in gun range of any CV's team members (and remember, that's almost half the map in most cases).

CV hunting is best left to US and KM DDs, as they have enough stealth and good guns (and sufficient speed).  USSR DDs don't do good either, because while they might be fast, and might have nice guns, they'll get spotted waaaaay away from the CV and get vectored on immediately.

Simply put: a CV in open water is the LOWEST thing on an IJN DD's list of priorities to do.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,016 posts
9,891 battles
13 hours ago, EAnybody said:

CV hunting in an IJN DD is a fool's errand.

Not only do most upper-tier IJN DDs have a very small (if that) speed advantage over any CV they might be hunting, but that drops to a DISadvantage VERY quickly if you have to turn your DD at all, as IJN DDs bleed speed in any sort of turn radically. A wiggling IJN DD that can do 37knts in a straight line can't even manage 30knts, and if you have to do more than 15 degree turns, you'll be lucky to make 25kts. You've also got the majority of your guns unable to bear in a chase - IJN DDs have at most 2 guns forward, and often 4 in the rear.

For obvious reasons, few IJN DD capts have AFT, so you're stuck with crappy range on your guns, too.

Plus, to be honest, the only way you'll get close enough to torp effectively is if you time it juuuuuuuust right while the CV's planes are on the other side of the map. Otherwise, you WILL get detected, and then are priority #1 for anything in gun range of any CV's team members (and remember, that's almost half the map in most cases).

CV hunting is best left to US and KM DDs, as they have enough stealth and good guns (and sufficient speed).  USSR DDs don't do good either, because while they might be fast, and might have nice guns, they'll get spotted waaaaay away from the CV and get vectored on immediately.

Simply put: a CV in open water is the LOWEST thing on an IJN DD's list of priorities to do.

FTFY, the only times running down a DD pays off is when you basically stumble on them and are still unseen. 99.9999999999% of the time a DD's abilities are much better used for other things.

Members
912 posts
9,358 battles

Kek, this thread.  God Bless the misguided DD spending 10 min chasing a CV.  Can I get an amen!?  God love the DD that pulls away from all objectives, chases a potato CV and dies anyway.  LulzX2 

Members
139 posts
2,313 battles

I'm not normally one to say this, because it's true that this game has issues, but to the OP.  Learn to play bud.  Sounds like a skill issue if all your torps are being dodged.  He can spot your torps with planes, he can change speeds and directions, and he might just be a good player.  As to his air drops, if he does it right there's a really good chance he'll hit you.  Cross dropping is hard to dodge if done right.

[GLF]
Members
812 posts
10,102 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 1:38 AM, EAnybody said:

When in vendetta mode, there are no higher priorities! 

ven.JPG

• Cool 1

Members
403 posts
2,441 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, sendit2me30 said:

There are just not enough words to describe how bad this is.

As so often - played the Kag.  There was only me left on our team and a CV + 2 DD on the enemy.  I go after the CV, a Lexington.  I avoid multiple fire bombs and a squad of torpedo bombers.   The Lexington is dodging EVERY SINGLE TORP I throw at it.  And multiple salvo's, all broad side.  The only thing that damages him are my HE shelves.  In the end I was killed by his torpedo planes. 

So what is the crappy - s&*t (s-word) utter meaning and logic of this nonsense??? A huge big monstrous carrier can dodge every torpedo and a small, tiny, super maneuverable destroyer cannot avoid them. Ha - bloody - ha!  And you see this time and again.  

Conclusion - with all the nerfs and the bufs and the tweaks and constant updates this game has finally gone down the drains... it now has only 1 purpose - to be flushed.

you make me regret selling my lex... i would love to get into a match vs you...