You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nighteyez

Ranger, is it worth it?

31 comments in this topic

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,536 battles

Hello all,

I have only been playing for about 6 weeks now, and have already played the Langley, Bogue and Independence. I bought the Saipan two weekends ago when the American ships were on sale, and I am liking it so far. However, I am now wondering if i should  buy the Ranger or not. I have already researched it, mainly to make the Independence an elite ship, but I have compared the load outs of the Ranger to the Saipan, and they both have 4 squadrons, one uses two dive bombers in place of the two torpedo bombers, but since the Saipan is a premium ship, and has tier 9 planes, not too mention exit strafing, (which i still need to work on), I see no reason to buy the Ranger EXCEPT I would need the ship's XP to move on up to the other three tiers (I don't have enough free XP to bypass the Ranger since I used some of it to research it). However, since I have only been playing six weeks, I am not confident enough in my abilities to even want to move up in tiers. Tier 6 is fine by me, and the Saipan is currently only used in Co-Op battles until I can figure out the manual drop and strafing. I have also been looking at the Kaga, since it is out for sale now, but when comparing it to the Ryujo, it does not seem worth it. Yes it is a premium ship, and comes with all the perks, but it has the same planes as the Ryujo, just different load outs. I do like that it has one more squadron then the USN carriers, but can't really justify the cost, since the Ryujo can be had for free. I have enough free XP to work my way up the Japanese carrier line to the Ryujo if I wanted to, so I would do that if I really wanted that extra squadron. Anyway, back to the question. I have looked for You Tube videos on comparing the two, but only find videos where they are in battle against each other. Not ones comparing the strengths and weaknesses of the two. Or the video was so old, it is almost moot as the Saipan I have is different from the one shown in the video.

[LWA]
Members
613 posts
8,764 battles

I have my best results with the Ranger when using it as an "air superiority" set up.   I buff the fighters where ever possible, and with a 10 point captain get the air superiority skill that will give you an extra fighter and dive bomber in the squadron for a total of seven.  You can run airstrike with 3 dive-bombers and 1 torpedo squadron, but it will take more patients and skill to make it work, and it can be very frustrating when the other CV players shuts you down with his fighters.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles

Get the ranger, run air superiority, buff fighters with appropriate mods and skills. Harvest the salt from tears of all other tier 6 and tier 7 CVs in your MM. I have a record of 83 planes shot down in a single battle in my Ranger. Much fun.

Beta Testers
1,174 posts
5,961 battles

Kaga is exceptionally powerful at striking with an extremely high plane count. Kaga and Ryujo aren't even close. She's harder to play well compared to Saipan but she's never boring. 

More on topic, the ranger is complete trash. I strongly recommend everyone stay away from the USN carrier line at the moment with the exception of the Saipan. Just keep playing IJN if you want to play carriers.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Love the Ranger, used correctly it is perhaps the best CV for its tier.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
15 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Kaga is exceptionally powerful at striking with an extremely high plane count. Kaga and Ryujo aren't even close. She's harder to play well compared to Saipan but she's never boring. 

More on topic, the ranger is complete trash. I strongly recommend everyone stay away from the USN carrier line at the moment with the exception of the Saipan. Just keep playing IJN if you want to play carriers.

Get real. USN CVs are very strong when the user knows how to run them. I am not the best CV player but I am not the worst either. I only run USN CVs. Loved them all but they miss balance. Their strike builds are not useful in most matches, their balance builds are weak but their air superiority builds are very strong. The air superiority builds are very fun to play but you have to accept that your job is to scout and provide fighter cover, your job is not doing damage. I currently run the Big E quite often and according to warships.today it has the highest WR among t8 CVs right now. My stats in her are above average. This isn't necessarily about USN being stronger than IJN...I think this speaks more to having a stronger striking capability with strong fighters to also control the skies. She is a great ship.

14 minutes ago, aAkula said:

Love the Ranger, used correctly it is perhaps the best CV for its tier.

Now back to the Ranger, this is the first time and likely the last time I will agree with SALTY. Love the Ranger, used correctly it is perhaps the best CV for its tier. I couldn't have said it better so I won't try. +1

Edited by smf117

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Now back to the Ranger, this is the first time and likely the last time I will agree with SALTY. Love the Ranger, used correctly it is perhaps the best CV for its tier. I couldn't have said it better so I won't try. +1

What is wrong with SALTY?

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

What is wrong with SALTY?

SALTY and I just don't get along. No offense to you but lets not ruin a good thing here. This is about the unloved and underrated Ranger.

Beta Testers
1,174 posts
5,961 battles
21 minutes ago, smf117 said:

Get real. USN CVs are very strong when the user knows how to run them. I am not the best CV player but I am not the worst either. I only run USN CVs. Loved them all but they miss balance. Their strike builds are not useful in most matches, their balance builds are weak but their air superiority builds are very strong. The air superiority builds are very fun to play but you have to accept that your job is to scout and provide fighter cover, your job is not doing damage. I currently run the Big E quite often and according to warships.today it has the highest WR among t8 CVs right now. My stats in her are above average. This isn't necessarily about USN being stronger than IJN...I think this speaks more to having a stronger striking capability with strong fighters to also control the skies. She is a great ship.

At the very least I agree on the load outs. The strike spec on USN CVs is a noob trap, the only viable one is air superiority. The problem is, Saipan does your job better if it really wants to run 3/0/1, not to mention the standard 2/2/0's versatility.

Enterprise is great and Saipan is amazing, and one of the reasons being versatility. The Ranger and USN in general have only one real choice, and you give up the ability to reliably take targets out in exchange for scouting and attempting to check the enemy CV's power. If you enjoy it, more power to you, but good luck if you decide to move onto tiers 9 and 10 against real CV enthusiasts (Taiho, Hakuryu) and your team falls apart around you while he ties your fighters up without a care in the world. 

That's my problem with CV national balance. The USN premium CVS are great, but the tech tree is handicapped.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
1 minute ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

At the very least I agree on the load outs. The strike spec on USN CVs is a noob trap, the only viable one is air superiority. The problem is, Saipan does your job better if it really wants to run 3/0/1, not to mention the standard 2/2/0's versatility.

Enterprise is great and Saipan is amazing, and one of the reasons being versatility. The Ranger and USN in general have only one real choice, and you give up the ability to reliably take targets out in exchange for scouting and attempting to check the enemy CV's power. If you enjoy it, more power to you, but good luck if you decide to move onto tiers 9 and 10 against real CV enthusiasts and your team falls apart around you while he ties your fighters up without a care in the world. 

That's my problem with CV balance. The USN premium CVS are great, but the tech tree is handicapped.

It seems we have reached a common ground but lets be honest...regardless of what class you're in, when your team decides to eat crap. You're screwed anyway lol

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

Don't bother with Ranger or Kaga for that matter till you learn strafe. Manual drops, unless you have to squeeze the shot in between a ship and island, is honestly unnecessary if you know how to actually aim and use auto. But Kaga needs to try and abuse strafe to beat USN, and at times Hiryu, and absolutely Saipan, and at tier 7 your going to see guys like me that have played CV's for 2 years+, and unlike me, don't hold back on auto deleting your planes. Ranger, built with AS and DFE skill can challenge a lone Saipan squadron, but in trouble if they make it 2 on 1. They however basically thrash IJN fighters. One of the biggest CV vs CV issues is the fact USN can dominate the sky, no problem, but lacks punch, IJN has the punch, problem is if we removed strafe tomorrow USN would absolutely own them just because the fighters are that much better. An issue that tends to show up in the low tiers where it was removed. Ranger is in a particularly weird spot as it is limited to 500 pound bombs that are effective enough against tier 5 and 6, sorta 7, the 1000 pound bombs you see on Saipan are OP for the tier, however, vs 8 and 9, damage leaves something to be desired.

Thing is that USN can still do some good damage, but it requires not seeing AA heavy ships that slaughter your planes to stack fires for DoT's. But till you can use strafe, you'll be at a heavy disadvantage, and it'll end up hurting you and the team and trust me, you don't want the aggravation when you consider even decent/okay CV players get crap if they obliterate all the planes, spot and the team is still struggling or just generally think you should do whatever. Why we have an issue in the gap between long time players/pro's and newbies/average players.

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

It's harder to make it work for many than Hiryu. Perhaps those who find success with it can enlighten us...

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

It's harder to make it work for many than Hiryu. Perhaps those who find success with it can enlighten us...

Air Superiority and learn strafes.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

I mean you can easily farm witherers and clear skies with a Ranger using AS. Just force DCP and burn, rinse and repeat. 

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
3 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

The Ranger is Trash.  Albeit, I only play it in Co Op.

Translation: This is my opinion but I really haven't a clue because I've never really tested my abilities against other players. Is that accurate?

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
Just now, smf117 said:

Translation: This is my opinion but I really haven't a clue because I've never really tested my abilities against other players. Is that accurate?

every statement on these forums are Opinion.   And I wouldn't play it vs other players because I am not that great at CVs. but I know I can do nearly double the damage with it's Japanese Counterpart.  Hmm.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
1 minute ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

I wouldn't play it vs other players because I am not that great at CVs. but I know I can do nearly double the damage with it's Japanese Counterpart.  Hmm.

That would make sense considering IJN CV purpose is to deal damage and the USN CV purpose is to control the air. Seems that you are uninformed. Points for your attempt I guess.

Edited by smf117

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
Just now, smf117 said:

That would make sense considering IJN CV purpose is to deal damage and the USN CV purpose is to control the air. Seems that you are uninformed. Points for your attempt I guess.

and when the game rewards your efforts for protecting the fleet, the ship wont be trash. as it currently stands, Damage is what gets you up the tech tree.

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,459 battles
Just now, Shadowrigger1 said:

and when the game rewards your efforts for protecting the fleet, the ship wont be trash. as it currently stands, Damage is what gets you up the tech tree.

ffs refer back to the part where I stated you have to know and accept that your job is to prevent damage against your fleet and not to do damage yourself. You are arguing points that are either uninformed or invalid. It doesn't seem that you are capable of understanding. No longer worth the effort to try and explain.

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles
16 minutes ago, smf117 said:

ffs refer back to the part where I stated you have to know and accept that your job is to prevent damage against your fleet and not to do damage yourself. You are arguing points that are either uninformed or invalid. It doesn't seem that you are capable of understanding. No longer worth the effort to try and explain.

and you know, I stand corrected..  My stats in the Ranger are better than the Hiryu..         I still don't like the feel of it and will consider it trash until it  can match the power feel of the IJN ships. 

V1Xg7bj.png

And you can argue in your petulant pissy tone all you want. and the point you keep missing is, to advance in this game. you need damage, it's fine if you want to relegate yourself to a low XP game to work as a team.  That's your choice, I prefer to work as a Team and to advance on par with my counterpart at a relatively equal pace.  you know. that whole  "balance" thing, that doesn't just Include strike power.

Ranger has 2 options.  All strike leaving you defenseless vs any other CV with fighters  , Strike, or AS  or,

Go AS with 2 Fighters and 2 dive bombers, and still not be able to protect your fleet vs an IJN CV because his 2 fighter strike loadout can and will nullify your fighters and still strike you with farm more firepower than you can return.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Alpha Tester
2,728 posts
4,343 battles

I'm surprised nobody mention that the Lex after it is stuck with the very same screwed-either-way options that the Ranger has while the Japanese counterpart can have their cake, eat it, AND feast on it as well.

Only go for it if you really love US ships...and know that strafe-out can kill planes.

[WOLF3]
Members
157 posts
5,518 battles

Unless you plan on grinding through the line, no.

Of the four CVs at VII Ranger is by far the weakest

• Cool 1