You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

DD.. The Hero or the goat?

90 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Depends on who you play with I guess.  Been running this german DD line, still on Gaede, though just about to move up.  First game tonight.  Rolled it.  Couple of kills, almost easy.  Guys on the team were saying, "dude you are a manic!"  Probably because I took a Farragut down the broadside at 2k, but I knew he had popped torps down that side and I had him.   Next game.  not so much.  Got lit and killed quick.  Still a win.  good team.    But I reflected for a minute and the difference was this.  First team took advantage of my spots and targeted the ships I lit.  Namely enemy DD and Cruisers.  Second team, while still a good team that rolled a win, ignored my spots and left me to deal with whatever was around me. 

Makes a guy think...

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

this is why DD play is so inconsistent.     you can't carry a team that doesn't support you.  only thing you can do at that point, is stay just ahead of the team and wait for the team to move up.         when  you throw in all the radar, hydro and such at higher tier,  they are not really fun to play anymore.     much more fun to play t4 DD.   

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
8 minutes ago, centarina said:

this is why DD play is so inconsistent.     you can't carry a team that doesn't support you.  only thing you can do at that point, is stay just ahead of the team and wait for the team to move up.         when  you throw in all the radar, hydro and such at higher tier,  they are not really fun to play anymore.     much more fun to play t4 DD.   

Clemson is a good clubber.  lol.      But very good point and sort of what I was getting at.  If your team really picks up your support, you can be the hero.  If they don't you are left to your own devices and then everyone is complaining that you aren't doing what they want you to, though they never did squat for you, and you are the goat. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Ju87s said:

are you using the 128s or 150s in the Gaede?

150.  Why?    This is going to be my last game in her, but what did I miss?  lol.  Besies reload time? 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,067 battles
Just now, CaptGodzillaPig said:

150.  Why?    This is going to be my last game in her, but what did I miss?  lol. 

Just curious.  There's always been debate on which guns to use.  I'm in the 150s camp too

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Ju87s said:

Just curious.  There's always been debate on which guns to use.  I'm in the 150s camp too

With the new spotting mechanics I have really gotten away from running guns in the DD's unless I am in smoke, know I can get away with it, or just have to out of pure survival.   I'll take that extra "pop" when I do shoot, since I really don't shoot that much.  When I do have cover the guns seem to cycle well enough.  I can crush enemy DD in a close fight pretty quick.  that was the big advantage. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

18.5 xp for B hull next tier.  might have to run about 3 more games.  have enough to go up and get the upgrade torps. 

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Depends on who you play with I guess.  Been running this german DD line, still on Gaede, though just about to move up.  First game tonight.  Rolled it.  Couple of kills, almost easy.  Guys on the team were saying, "dude you are a manic!"  Probably because I took a Farragut down the broadside at 2k, but I knew he had popped torps down that side and I had him.   Next game.  not so much.  Got lit and killed quick.  Still a win.  good team.    But I reflected for a minute and the difference was this.  First team took advantage of my spots and targeted the ships I lit.  Namely enemy DD and Cruisers.  Second team, while still a good team that rolled a win, ignored my spots and left me to deal with whatever was around me. 

Makes a guy think...

It's not as simple as saying they are ignoring you. They are humans with their own opinions. Good play is not a flow chart, you need to be aware of what your teammates are looking to do and what they can do with their position and how you can best mold into that.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Pulicat said:

It's not as simple as saying they are ignoring you. They are humans with their own opinions. Good play is not a flow chart, you need to be aware of what your teammates are looking to do and what they can do with their position and how you can best mold into that.

Fair enough.  So, if you have a cruiser on your stern, close in.  2 BB's, that you smoke for as you run into a cap, and you spot a DD....which might be a surprise.  Would you expect your close cover cruiser to maybe shoot at said DD you had spotted or would it be better play for him to just run away?

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles
1 minute ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Fair enough.  So, if you have a cruiser on your stern, close in.  2 BB's, that you smoke for as you run into a cap, and you spot a DD....which might be a surprise.  Would you expect your close cover cruiser to maybe shoot at said DD you had spotted or would it be better play for him to just run away?

German smoke is bad.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

German smoke is bad.

This meaning what?  I didn't do what I could for my BB followers or that is a reason for the CA to bail on me without firing a shot?

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

German smoke is bad.

Is it worse than no smoke at all?

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I'm not arguing for or against focusing the DD to be the right action, it's about what that cruiser was preoccupied with. Saying people are ignoring your situation implies they know it's taking place.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Is it worse than no smoke at all?

Yes.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Pulicat said:

I'm not arguing for or against focusing the DD to be the right action, it's about what that cruiser was preoccupied with. Saying people are ignoring your situation implies they know it's taking place.

Say the cruiser had no other immediate target...  I might not have your SALTY stats, but I am not new to this.    I grind my lines. 

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Say the cruiser had no other immediate target...  I might not have your SALTY stats, but I am not new to this.    I grind my lines. 

i grind my teeth

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

Yes.

Seriously aA?   I'll let you take that back before I write you off as just a troll that has nothing better to do that bash anything I post.    You know for all the head crashing we do I still respect you,..and you just about lost it there. 

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Seriously aA?   I'll let you take that back before I write you off as just a troll that has nothing better to do that bash anything I post.    You know for all the head crashing we do I still respect you,..and you just about lost it there. 

I'll bite.

German smoke is a false sense of security, often uninformed players wander into these smoke death traps and within seconds the smoke ends, normally stranding them in a cap they or position they would otherwise never wanted to be in, i don't rate it.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

I'll bite.

German smoke is a false sense of security, often uninformed players wander into these smoke death traps and within seconds the smoke ends, normally stranding them in a cap they or position they would otherwise never wanted to be in, i don't rate it.

Ok I agree with this.  German smoke isn't optimal, but I I happen to be a km ship, and I happen to be the only one popping cover, and I happen to spot a DD close, AND A FLIPPING CRUISER CAN"T EVEN FIRE ONE SHOT AT IT..  ummm...

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

If true, I would say this cruiser doesn't like you specifically, and not some player ignoring a random dd and leave it to fight on it's own out of spite. That's not something people who don't know each other do to the other.

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles

Yep. Thats why as a CA/DD player you are supposed to read the team and react/control to match according.

Good and unicum players produce consistent results this way.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

lmbo.  most players don't have situation awareness or map awareness to even see beyond the ship they are targetting.    asking them to switch target is asking too much from typical taters.     why DD play is so tough unless you  play in a division.  one of the reason I play CA is that I can support DD, but there are also many bad DDers that are afraid to go near cap.      but then, teamwork is OP.  :D    in general though, CA can operate more independently and still perform well, so I play it. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Pulicat said:

If true, I would say this cruiser doesn't like you specifically, and not some player ignoring a random dd and leave it to fight on it's own out of spite. That's not something people who don't know each other do to the other.

Well that is a thought, but considering I have a pretty good time with most people in the game, and only seem to crash heads with certain players here on the forums.  I would say that was unlikely.  The flip side of your high purple stats is that you are in the minority when it comes to win rate, but you are also in the minority when it comes to everyone else in the game.