Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cobra54

Shiratsuyu

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[IMFRI]
Members
1 post
6,435 battles

I think you should just eliminate the Shiratsuyu.  poor guns and now you have taken her smoke.....   I will not buy another premium ship due to this because WoWs can not be trusted to be fair iand even with ship issues.   You got radar on damn near every ship now, DDs with some sort of detection device AND smoke.....    So....  just get rid of this DD, you have made it worthless.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,571
[BIAS]
Members
3,049 posts
9,023 battles

Shiratsuyu is not a premium ship..... So a non-premium OP ship was nerfed (a bit hard I must admit...) and you are going to take your toys elsewhere and play over there? Go for it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,976
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles
11 minutes ago, Cobra54 said:

I think you should just eliminate the Shiratsuyu.  poor guns and now you have taken her smoke.....   I will not buy another premium ship due to this because WoWs can not be trusted to be fair iand even with ship issues.   You got radar on damn near every ship now, DDs with some sort of detection device AND smoke.....    So....  just get rid of this DD, you have made it worthless.....

LOLWUT

 

I mean, what in the world are you even talking about?

 

Someone seems angry. :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts

No! Shiratsuya is life!

 

Okay, I'm biased, the Suzukaze was a Shiratsuyu class DD. More importantly the Shigure was a Shiratsuyu class as well, commanded by Hara, the only Japanese DD skipper who survived the war beginning to end.  Shigure under Hara never lost a man, and fought 2 fleet engagements where the Shigure was the only ship to survive (on the Japanese side) 

 

There is a ton of history to this class. Coral Sea, Midway, Guadalcanal, Tokyo Express, Vella Lavella,  Leyte Gulf, Suraigo Strait, and that is just some of the battles for the Shigure

 

And as has been said, take smoke instead of reload if it's that big a deal. It's a nerf I don't think was warranted, but WG is big on making you take choices in outfitting your ship.

 

And, without the Shiratsuyu, there would be no poi in the game! Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,215
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles

Frankly I called this back when Shiratsuyu was added with the torpedo reloader.

 

The ship was too reliant on the torpedo reloader to be competitive in her tier that her current state, forcing her to choose offense (Reloader) or Defense (Smoke) has rendered the ship much, much less fun to play.

 

I won't say it's worthless because a handful of die-hards are propping up her stats, but the average player has a much harder time making a 34 knot destroyer work without smoke. This nerf pretty much destroyed the ship for the average person. And it's a nerf I saw coming months in advance precisely because the ship was so dependent on the reloader having its own slot.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
13 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I really wanted to like her, but after two zero damage game in a row, I gave up. Maybe someday...poi? 

 

The frustration of a torpedo boat is it is feast or famine. They are inconsistent, their max damage is high, but their median damage is low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,635
[INTEL]
Members
8,441 posts
25,340 battles
30 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Frankly I called this back when Shiratsuyu was added with the torpedo reloader.

 

The ship was too reliant on the torpedo reloader to be competitive in her tier that her current state, forcing her to choose offense (Reloader) or Defense (Smoke) has rendered the ship much, much less fun to play.

 

I won't say it's worthless because a handful of die-hards are propping up her stats, but the average player has a much harder time making a 34 knot destroyer work without smoke. This nerf pretty much destroyed the ship for the average person. And it's a nerf I saw coming months in advance precisely because the ship was so dependent on the reloader having its own slot.

 

I should have read that....  i even bought the premium camo, i liked Shira so much. Then she was nerfed. Life lesson learned: never buy premium camo. 

 

I havent played her since the nerf. Akatsuki is now superior in every way. I would sell it, but cant bring myself to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles

I say we take Shiratsuyu out of the tree and replace her with Asashio.

The Asashio class was everything the Shiratsuyu-class was, just faster and with 6 barrels instead of 5. In truth, I question why WG opted for the Shiratsuyu-class when the Asashio-class was just as good a candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
5 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I say we take Shiratsuyu out of the tree and replace her with Asashio.

The Asashio class was everything the Shiratsuyu-class was, just faster and with 6 barrels instead of 5. In truth, I question why WG opted for the Shiratsuyu-class when the Asashio-class was just as good a candidate.

Because poi.

No, seriously, that's it. There are so many poi fanbois out there, that her presence alone was enough to sell so many on the Japanese DD line split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,611 posts
8,804 battles

I will say we will see the old Shiratsuyu come back as a prem Shigure or poi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
10 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Because poi.

No, seriously, that's it. There are so many poi fanbois out there, that her presence alone was enough to sell so many on the Japanese DD line split.

Yet WG's statistics show that too few people go down the sub branches, thus culminating in their "No USN cruiser line split in the near future" and "No more line splits past USN cruisers for a while, if ever" decisions?

I think the majority of that fanbase is on the forums. And the true "poi" would be in selling a premium Yuudachi. Though, maybe WG put Shiratsuyu in the tree so they could sell a premium Asashio-class. It would inherently be better than Shira simply because it can hit 35kts(seriously, that's a life saver in a DD compared to Shira's 34kts). I mean, I'd be fine with either scenario, I just want to see the Asashio-class, as it's only IJN DD class left unrepresented in the game(from what I can tell).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
9 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Because poi.

No, seriously, that's it. There are so many poi fanbois out there, that her presence alone was enough to sell so many on the Japanese DD line split.

They said a while back that they would finish the second line to T10. Who knows? Maybe an Asashio in our future

1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Yet WG's statistics show that too few people go down the sub branches, thus culminating in their "No USN cruiser line split in the near future" and "No more line splits past USN cruisers for a while, if ever" decisions?

I think the majority of that fanbase is on the forums. And the true "poi" would be in selling a premium Yuudachi. Though, maybe WG put Shiratsuyu in the tree so they could sell a premium Asashio-class. It would inherently be better than Shira simply because it can hit 35kts(seriously, that's a life saver in a DD compared to Shira's 34kts). I mean, I'd be fine with either scenario, I just want to see the Asashio-class, as it's only IJN DD class left unrepresented in the game(from what I can tell).

If they finished the second branch it might be more popular. 

 

The Matsu and Momi classes are also unrepresented as a side note, they are not performers certainly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,215
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

They said a while back that they would finish the second line to T10. Who knows? Maybe an Asashio in our future

 

No, the tier 9 and 10 will be Akizuki Kai (with Shimakaze's engine) and Super Akizuki (With 12.7cm DP guns instead of 10cm DP guns).

 

I'm pretty sure, anyway. We'll go from a 33 knot AA destroyer to a 41 knot AA destroyer, to a Shimakaze with an extra turret and better reload/traverse but only 1 torpedo launcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
17 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

They said a while back that they would finish the second line to T10. Who knows? Maybe an Asashio in our future

If they finished the second branch it might be more popular. 

 

The Matsu and Momi classes are also unrepresented as a side note, they are not performers certainly

I didn't mention them as they were considered "small destroyers" and likely wouldn't fit into the conventional lines(one of the preceding classes to the Matsu-class was a torpedo boat, not a destroyer). Plus, their armaments weren't as good as what we currently have so putting them into a line would be really tricky.(only 3 127mm guns, and only one set of torpedoes, but more AA guns, though probably not as powerful as Akizuki)

Edit: I'm only talking about the Matsu-class, hadn't actually looked up the Momi-class.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,829 battles

Shiratsuyu's problem is that most of the people who play her are completely clueless for tactics. Every time you see someone make a dumb decision, they're in a Shiratsuyu.

 

Last ship alive, 1 vs 3, start a gun fight with 3 cruisers? It's a shiratsuyu player. Leave the cap to sink the CV, losing the game and getting sunk in the process? Shiratsuyu player.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,175 posts
5,973 battles

Shiratsuyu is still somewhat usable but suffers tremendously from being up tiered if you choose to take the torpedo reload booster. You can't really take an advanced scouting position like you can with Kagero or Yugumo and rely on your stealth to play around enemy destroyers, and those two ships actually have pretty decent gun power when forced to fight when falling back. She's just too visible and slow to play without a smoke aggressively like you still could with Kagero/Yuugumo. Akatsuki has awful stealth but has a good rate of fire on her torpedoes, better guns, and has adequate speed at least. 

 

Not taking smoke in that ship is a death sentence in my experience. Literally Benson food. Torpedo reload booster might work with a division or other DD backup, but a solo Shiratsuyu can't really be caught without smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
276
[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

TRB was always a crutch for Shiratsuyu. Without it, her lower concealment was never enough to make up her shortcomings compared to Akatsuki, which is why I fell in love with the latter.

A second point about Shiratsuyu's guns is not only are they fewer in number, they're also positioned badly for what IJN DDs usually use them for (outside of smoke or just before they're sunk): chipping away at enemies they're running away from. The non-superfiring middle turret is actually in a good position to fire forwards(-ish) in an aggressive manner, but she really can't play like that.

Edited by Flashtirade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles

Shiratsuyu have 2 great weaknesses : garbage torps (the uppgraded torps are actually worse than the stock one ) and long CD .Akatsuki is way more efficient when it comes to gunfight, torps and speed.

 

The only thing Shiratsuyu have is her concealment. And considering MM will often put you against T8 where Kagerou, Benson or Akizuki could easily rekt you, Shiratsuyu is worthless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,477 battles

Others have already said it, the ship was only good with the seperate TRB. Now there is no reason to play it other than to get the Akizuki.

 

Glad I saw this coming and didn't buy gold camo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,391
[O_O]
Members
4,335 posts
9,298 battles

I really loved Shiratsuyu when she had both the TRB and smoke.  I had some great games and a lot of fun.  I've tried a few games since the nerf hammer whack, and I can't really get a good game with just one or the other.  She was one of my tech tree favorites, and now she is nothing.  I can't remember any one ship getting destroyed by a change as badly as the Shiratsuyu was.

Akizuki is now my fun DD.  Nerf coming in 10...9...8...

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,874 posts
13,391 battles

She is still a workable ship just not as fun.

Without the TRB there is absolutely no reason to adopt an aggressive approach so you play her a lot more passively. Reminds me of the old Hatsuharu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[NOOOB]
Members
1,440 posts
12,092 battles

Doing the alternative tree DD thing, and really like the Shira.  Grind has been pretty easy, get great games sandwiched with some pretty awful ones.  Shira pretty unforgiving, and like last night being up tiered 3 games in a row does get tiring, but thinking she might be a keeper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
164 posts
6,503 battles

The gargantuan nerf Shiratsuyu got slapped with was so enormously stupid it honestly just reinforces the image of the actual devs being utter idiots.

 

Akatsuki is better than the ship in literally every way except concealment, having better health, guns, speed and torpedoes. The only thing Shiratsuyu had was the third slot reload booster, and then WG took it away with absolutely nothing to compensate. Literally the only thing Shiratsuyu currently does better is capping and spotting, and given the gabage EXP for the latter, and the garbage credits gained for either, is a giant disincentive to actually play the ship.

 

The torpedo issue is especially stupid since they mount the same torpedoes, and is tied to WG's idiotic policy that reload speed is directly tied to launcher size without looking at anything else - there is no reason Shiratsuyu should have had a reload of 101 seconds with 8 torpedo tubes when Akatsuki has a reload of 76 seconds with 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×