You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pastore123

Shooting HE and AP mix

11 comments in this topic

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
394 posts
5,406 battles

As I was browsing the new topics today, I noticed a topic about CV load outs for dive bombers and the mix of AP and HE bombs. I immediately thought about warships having the same ability, but with their same guns. For example, on a BB with a 4 turret firing system, you can choose for two of those 4 turrets to shoot AP and the other two HE. I don't know if this is even a common practice in real life (Was not a seaman) or not, but it would interest me greatly if it was added in game. I'm not sure how it would affect balancing either, if it ever did become a possibility to do such a thing anyway. What are your thoughts?

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles

Personally I'm not a big fan of that. You aim very differently depending on whether if you are shooting AP or HE, especially during close encounters. For example in a critical battleship brawl, if the enemy is at an harsh angle, your fire a mix of AP and HE, half of the shells are gonna penetrate the upper hull and superstructure and set the enemy on fire, while the rest just auto bounces and over pens. If the enemy shows a full board side, half your shells are going to penetrate and have a chance of devastating the enemy with citadels, while the other half of your shells shatters harmlessly...

Yeah. Not a bad idea, but I won't be using such feature very often.

[SYN]
Members
511 posts
5,971 battles

The binary nature of armament load-outs are really cool. It allows us to identify with a dilemma similar to the one that Nagumo faced at Midway.

[HINON]
Members
8,874 posts

The shells for AP and HE are often very different including different flight times so mixing the loadouts with various turrets would not be possible.

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
394 posts
5,406 battles
1 hour ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Personally I'm not a big fan of that. You aim very differently depending on whether if you are shooting AP or HE, especially during close encounters. For example in a critical battleship brawl, if the enemy is at an harsh angle, your fire a mix of AP and HE, half of the shells are gonna penetrate the upper hull and superstructure and set the enemy on fire, while the rest just auto bounces and over pens. If the enemy shows a full board side, half your shells are going to penetrate and have a chance of devastating the enemy with citadels, while the other half of your shells shatters harmlessly...

Yeah. Not a bad idea, but I won't be using such feature very often.

I should have elaborated more in my post, as the player, you have the ability to choose if you do a full ap load out, a mix, or full he. That way you can better prepare for any situation.

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
394 posts
5,406 battles
27 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The shells for AP and HE are often very different including different flight times so mixing the loadouts with various turrets would not be possible.

That would be in real life correct? Also, in real life, what other problems could there be if the load outs were mixed, if any?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,226 posts

IRL you'd run away if your team was getting beat.  You'd get more experience because you failed and had something first hand to study and learn from.  In real life you would use torpedoes to slow down a superior opponent and hope to get a hit.  

In real life folks would just spam mix to avoid having to think about choosing the right ammo.

Although the intent is good, irl would make the worst of it.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles

The problem is this - while not the worst idea, between where you aim with the round type, and some as I recall, having different AP/HE velocities, aiming would be an issue and as it stands, while yes, you would have full control of AP, Mix, or HE, you'd have to add/change a key assignment and what happens when you hit the wrong key? Not to mention that the way the game is programmed everything fires one or the other.

The only reason it really gets brought up, much as I'm more and more against AP bombs and just want HE bombs made that bit more accurate and CV's and AA balanced, is that for those, you have a programming loophole to use, as well as the nation, or nations, this would be wanted for have/exclusively use, DB only set ups and sometimes, burning a BB down takes too long or isn't an option. Airplanes are considered an ammo type (so yes, technically, we have limited ammo) and TB's and DB's are two separate things, you'd have to work around to just AP DB's being a separate entity from HE DB's same as the TB's, and make sure they have a different enough symbol, maybe colour the bomb and markings/shapes similar to AP/HE rounds as is to know what group your sending at a target.

It's more feasible, logical, and even historical than mix salvo's for the other ships last I checked. They added it I may well make use and would not oppose, but I think we have a better shot at seeing German, Russian, Italian, and French CV lines before we see that added.