You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BaronVonTom

Historically Accurate Maps on WG?

Historical Maps on WG  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see historically accurate maps on WG?

• Yes
    • No
    • I prefer bacon to maps

21 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,924 battles

So after 7300 battles, the maps are getting stale.  Some more than others.   I have always thought that having historically accurate maps might be fun.   My favorite?  The Guadalcanal area known as "the slot" for dd/cruiser play.  I don't know how well bb's or cv's would do in an area like this, but it sure would be fun to find out.

State your favorite...include a pic or map of the area you are talking about if you can.

UtxkwlF.jpg

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Although using the planet earth as a template would be cool,wouldn't it too become "stale" after 7300 battles? The maps used here are designed to be fun and engaging for all classes of ships. Although the maps we have are totally imaginary a new map or two would be nice change of scenery.  As long as they remain fun and engaging for ALL SHIPS.

As far as the poll goes it doesn't have enough choices that are evident of the opinions soon to be made aware of.

My choice is make a map that All players can enjoy be it a planet earth accurate map or fictitious. 

Members
1,230 posts
20,572 battles

I think I read that the only historically accurate map in game is Okinawa, but I could be wrong.

Maybe it's a problem of scale?

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,924 battles
11 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

The is a map of the Solomon Islands, and it's called Solomon Islands in-game. It's a low-tier map.

Here's a page from the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Solomon_Islands

8EwLIan.png

Trying to compare them and i can see some resemblance if you zoom in on one area (northwest most islands).....kinda....i guess we can count this as one they have.  

Edited by BaronVonTom

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
31 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

So after 7300 battles, the maps are getting stale.  Some more than others.   I have always thought that having historically accurate maps might be fun.   My favorite?  The Guadalcanal area known as "the slot" for dd/cruiser play.  I don't know how well bb's or cv's would do in an area like this, but it sure would be fun to find out.

State your favorite...include a pic or map of the area you are talking about if you can.

The first problem regarding maps getting stale is there hasn't been a new map for random battles for a long time.  There have been a number of new maps, but they've been used in Ranked Battles and operations and such.  I wish that that new Ranked Battles map was included in the Random Battles rotation.  I also wish that the new maps in the operations were included too, though I want to see the two harbor maps used in a different way. Encounter mode, with a single cap put in the inner harbor of both maps, and the two teams' spawns placed outside the harbor as far from each other and the cap as possible.  I'd also like to see that Raptor Rescue map from operations used, though I'm not as sure how best to use that one.  Plain, ol' Standard and Domination mode battles, I suppose.  But maybe something else too.

But beyond using those maps that already exist but just need to be added to the Randoms rotation, we need some entirely new maps.  My problem here is that for the most part, I don't like what the map design teams have been doing for new maps in WoWS.  They're all boring maps that are too damned choked with tall islands, in a narrow band between the two teams.  And hell, I don't like most of the existing maps either.

One of the more "historical" maps currently in the game, Solomons, is one I don't like. I don't like it because of the way it creates these 3 choke points, with the one in the SW feeling the most artificial of all, since there's no land in sight and only an artificial map boundary to limit your ability to maneuver further away from the island.  I wish that they would make some significant changes to this map to make it feel more open and perhaps a little more historical/real.  Get rid of the big island between the A and B caps.  Get rid of the small islands in the NW and SE.  Keep the big island between B and C caps, and perhaps the smaller one just north of the C cap.  Maybe add a mirroring island just south of the C cap for balance.  Get rid of the moderately sized, tall island just south of B cap.  Now you'd have a map that would be more reminiscent of the area around Iron Bottom Sound, I think.  For domination mode, maybe just have 2 caps.  One where C cap currently resides and the second one in the open area where the island currently between A and B caps currently resides.  I might also suggest adding in a little bit of land in the SW corner of the map so that the entire map feels like it's between two islands, like Iron Bottom Sound.  In fact, perhaps they could change the name of the map from Solomons to "The Slot" or "Iron Bottom Sound".

I'll leave it as that for now.  I could go on and on about maps.  Whether in WoT or WoWS, maps have always been an interest of mine in these two games.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,924 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The first problem regarding maps getting stale is there hasn't been a new map for random battles for a long time.  There have been a number of new maps, but they've been used in Ranked Battles and operations and such.  I wish that that new Ranked Battles map was included in the Random Battles rotation.  I also wish that the new maps in the operations were included too, though I want to see the two harbor maps used in a different way. Encounter mode, with a single cap put in the inner harbor of both maps, and the two teams' spawns placed outside the harbor as far from each other and the cap as possible.  I'd also like to see that Raptor Rescue map from operations used, though I'm not as sure how best to use that one.  Plain, ol' Standard and Domination mode battles, I suppose.  But maybe something else too.

But beyond using those maps that already exist but just need to be added to the Randoms rotation, we need some entirely new maps.  My problem here is that for the most part, I don't like what the map design teams have been doing for new maps in WoWS.  They're all boring maps that are too damned choked with tall islands, in a narrow band between the two teams.  And hell, I don't like most of the existing maps either.

One of the more "historical" maps currently in the game, Solomons, is one I don't like. I don't like it because of the way it creates these 3 choke points, with the one in the SW feeling the most artificial of all, since there's no land in sight and only an artificial map boundary to limit your ability to maneuver further away from the island.  I wish that they would make some significant changes to this map to make it feel more open and perhaps a little more historical/real.  Get rid of the big island between the A and B caps.  Get rid of the small islands in the NW and SE.  Keep the big island between B and C caps, and perhaps the smaller one just north of the C cap.  Maybe add a mirroring island just south of the C cap for balance.  Get rid of the moderately sized, tall island just south of B cap.  Now you'd have a map that would be more reminiscent of the area around Iron Bottom Sound, I think.  For domination mode, maybe just have 2 caps.  One where C cap currently resides and the second one in the open area where the island currently between A and B caps currently resides.  I might also suggest adding in a little bit of land in the SW corner of the map so that the entire map feels like it's between two islands, like Iron Bottom Sound.  In fact, perhaps they could change the name of the map from Solomons to "The Slot" or "Iron Bottom Sound".

I'll leave it as that for now.  I could go on and on about maps.  Whether in WoT or WoWS, maps have always been an interest of mine in these two games.

I agree....was just hoping people would have a little fun with it and show their favorite naval map from ww2.  

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,198 battles

How big do you guys want these maps to be? The entire Marshal Island Chain in a single map would be hundreds of kilometers on a side.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

How big do you guys want these maps to be? The entire Marshal Island Chain in a single map would be hundreds of kilometers on a side.

Yeah, I don't think that people realize just how small even the largest existing WoWS maps are compared to real life.  What we think of as the Ocean map could easily fit into the space between many chains of islands, or straits.  Heck, IIRC, the area where the Battle of Surigao Strait occurred was large enough that the Ocean map would fit into it.  Modern navies, even those of the 20th century rarely fought in small confined areas like we see on most existing WoWS maps.  Admirals want room to safely maneuver their fleets, and captains want plenty of room to safely maneuver their individual ships.

[PNG]
Alpha Tester
1,419 posts
11,016 battles

I would like to see wake Island if at all possible

[JR]
[JR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
390 posts
4,124 battles

The most accurate map in the game is Ocean.  If you want to get any more realistic than that then the map would have to be hundreds of miles long.

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,924 battles
4 minutes ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

The most accurate map in the game is Ocean.  If you want to get any more realistic than that then the map would have to be hundreds of miles long.

Actually, most naval battles were conducted near islands or main bodies of land for the "property disputes".   The big exception is the Battle of the Atlantic.  One could argue Midway was an ocean map.....and possibly Wake Island.  Almost all the naval battles in the Pacific had some land or many islands near them.  

As they have shown with the Solomons map, zoom in on an area is the only way to make it work I think.

The Ocean Map is fun on WG.

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

The real problem is not that the game lacks historical maps it just that the size of historical naval battles was much larger than in game and having a accurately sized map would make for a very long game.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,133 posts
8,749 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

I think I read that the only historically accurate map in game is Okinawa, but I could be wrong.

Maybe it's a problem of scale?

The only historically accurate map is Ocean and you are correct it is the scale that makes more accurate maps extremely difficult if not impossible to implement.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,924 battles
44 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The only historically accurate map is Ocean and you are correct it is the scale that makes more accurate maps extremely difficult if not impossible to implement.

Difficult but I don't believe impossible.  A scaled down to WG scale might be possible depending on the battle.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,198 battles
14 hours ago, BaronVonTom said:

Actually, most naval battles were conducted near islands or main bodies of land for the "property disputes".   The big exception is the Battle of the Atlantic.  One could argue Midway was an ocean map.....and possibly Wake Island.  Almost all the naval battles in the Pacific had some land or many islands near them.  

As they have shown with the Solomons map, zoom in on an area is the only way to make it work I think.

The Ocean Map is fun on WG.

While this is true, the area of the ocean involved in this historical conflicts which took place "near islands or main bodies of land" were so large that if they put the maps in game, what we would get would be a square of empty ocean, or a square of empty ocean where 1 boarder was made of island. The game maps just are not larger enough for this sort of thing.