Sign in to follow this  
icehaddock

Did WG go too far when they gave Royal Navy BBs so much fire chance?

32 comments in this topic

Members
4,239 posts

The biggest problem is the AP shells of the RN BBs is complete ****.  Because of that the only real way for a BN BB driver to do good damage is fire HE.

Though, as a BB driver it feels really good to burn down an Atlanta, Cleveland or other CA flamethrower.

Members
670 posts
4,549 battles

After reading through the forums, I switched to using almost exclusively HE on my British BB's. I'm only about a dozen games into the grind (life distractions) with the Orion, but I've found it's one of those mechanics that if used poorly will still yield mediocre results. If you use HE properly, it yields some serious results.

I had a match last night in my Orion where another Orion charged at me from behind an island, looking to brawl. I kited him for about 2 minutes, setting and sustaining multiple fires on him and sank him from about 3/4 health. He spent the next 2 minutes mocking me for using only HE, but uhm...remind me again which one of us was a sinking, crispy hulk? Which one of us was at 110k damage and still counting? I've found the AP to only really be worth it when you're plugging away at lightly armored cruisers, though you can still citadel many of them with HE.

Really interesting new way for me to play BB's.

Members
646 posts
8,405 battles

The biggest factor, is being able to penetrate and even citadel ships with HE shells. Now throw in fires, and yes Brit BBs are broken af. There in no reason to play anything else right now. Then again, we have been dealing with smoke for years now which is even more broken and that hasn't been fixed either, so. Anyone who has played WoT knows how bad Wargaming is in the balance department. It's no difference here.

• Cool 1

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
379 posts
9,336 battles

Well, where did you think the British were hiding their HE? :cap_look:

Members
4,239 posts
21 hours ago, Panzerlin said:

Well, where did you think the British were hiding their HE? :cap_look:

It wasn't on board their cruisers.

• Cool 1

[M_INC]
Members
82 posts
2,889 battles

I wouldn't consider the british battleships throwing HE ammo to be overpowered, however, it's definitely very annoying. There are enough situations that AP would be a better choice that it doesn't completely defeat the purpose of having AP, but the HE is annoying because there is no real counter play against it. A skilled AP battleship player can beat another AP battleship player by angling their armor and taking shots of opportunity when their enemy is broadside on. This tactic does not work against british battleships however, because the british battleships can still do exellent damage with HE.

Having good HE shells on british battleships benifits two groups of players, more than any others: unskilled battleship players who spam HE at everything because they don't want to take the time to learn to use AP effectively, and skilled players who are facing other skilled battleship players using conventional battleship brawling tactics.

In the first case, this is annoying to enemy players, because it allows them to be beaten or seriously damaged by significantly less skilled players because they're using a game mechanic that requires minimal skill and next to no knowledge of game mechanics to utilize effectively. However, this is somewhat tolerable, as more often than not, the more skilled player will still be able to come out on top by exploiting the new player's mistakes, and it somewhat closes the gap between more and less skilled players while still granting the more experienced player an advantage. The latter case is very bad for the game overall, as there is currently very little a player can do to maximize their chances of success against an HE spamming opponent. The target of the HE spam either dies by playing as aggressively as they would against an AP using opponent, or is forced into a more passive and boring playstyle in order to stand a fighting chance. Neither of these results is a healthy thing to have occurring in the game on a regular basis.

Sign in to follow this