Sign in to follow this  
icehaddock

Did WG go too far when they gave Royal Navy BBs so much fire chance?

32 comments in this topic

[NASTY]
Members
105 posts
5,243 battles

I've been around long enough to know that BB captains have for long time complained how easy it is for other ships to put them on fire

Wargaming have now released new line of Battleshps with crasy HE damage and fire chance.

I'm seeing today players playing british BBs who never even bother switching over to AP.  Just constant rain of fire.

I assume wargaming did this to accommodate for smaller guns on these ships compared to same tier US and IJN battleships.

I feel Wargaming went to far with this.

What do you think?

Members
9,868 posts

Up to tier 5, there is limited reason to use AP. Beyond that, AP is quite useful...but the fire chance does encourage more he spam overall.

Personally I think it's been done to suit the players, many players used to spam HE in high tiers before these ships ever came along.

Members
51 posts
2,382 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

WG gave them sh*t for AP, so what do you want?

Their short-fuse AP is the opposite of crap.

[NASTY]
Members
105 posts
5,243 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

WG game them both higher than average damage and much higher than average fire chance.  

One or the other should have been enough and not both

[NASTY]
Members
105 posts
5,243 battles
16 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

No they did not.

Really!.  It certainly looks like that at the lower tiers that I looked up (Tier 3 - 5).  Got to admit I did not compare the higher tier yet.  Does it even out?

BTW, what exactly does the short AP fuse do?  Does is make it less likely to overpen lightly armored cruisers and destroyers while at the same time make it more difficult to penetrate thick armor like battleship belt armor?

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,156 posts
1,652 battles
56 minutes ago, icehaddock said:

BTW, what exactly does the short AP fuse do?  Does is make it less likely to overpen lightly armored cruisers and destroyers while at the same time make it more difficult to penetrate thick armor like battleship belt armor?

Basically, yes.

[INTEL]
Members
8,441 posts
25,340 battles
3 hours ago, icehaddock said:

Really!.  It certainly looks like that at the lower tiers that I looked up (Tier 3 - 5).  Got to admit I did not compare the higher tier yet.  Does it even out?

Yep, it means more damage to cruisers because clearly cruisers were having it too easy before, while making it very difficult to kill a BB that has American Piercing or Alles Piercing with UK Almost Piercing....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[3COWS]
Members
82 posts
6,561 battles

To be quite honest, I play with a mix of HE and AP on all my BBS, Tirpitz and Bismarck all have good Fire chance, in fact Tirpitz has a higher chance to set fires then the Monarch.

I really think most players just didn't bother changing shells, until everyone said HE on RN BBS is great.

Maybe a video from the developers on BB game play and when to change shells on any BB might take the spotlight of RN BBS.

I wreck on RN BBS are just getting too much attention about HE

I like the fact i can shoot back HE at ZAO's and Kharasbrooks and they back off instead of burning me to death

Anyway

happydaze

[TNG-D]
Members
10 posts
7,293 battles

In a FDG tonight RN Lion shoots (about 15km away) HE,  3 fires,  put it out,  shoots again in about 30seconds, (and im angled which means sfa for HE) 3 more fires with no way to put it out... and Im running flags etc and just cant counter that amount of damage...  so 33k from HE hits, 14k from AP, and 44k from fires (7 total).

IMO they need to modify Fire Prevention skill its a 4 point skill so still have to decide if you want that or CE, AFT, MFCSA, MFCAA or FP, change to max 2 fires and less time on the fire or make the time to that your fireproof longer.

And no it wasnt a 1v1 he had 3 other BB friends so rushing him was out of the question.

• Cool 2

Members
1,498 posts
7,423 battles
13 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

In a FDG tonight RN Lion shoots (about 15km away) HE,  3 fires,  put it out,  shoots again in about 30seconds, (and im angled which means sfa for HE) 3 more fires with no way to put it out... and Im running flags etc and just cant counter that amount of damage...  so 33k from HE hits, 14k from AP, and 44k from fires (7 total).

IMO they need to modify Fire Prevention skill its a 4 point skill so still have to decide if you want that or CE, AFT, MFCSA, MFCAA or FP, change to max 2 fires and less time on the fire or make the time to that your fireproof longer.

And no it wasnt a 1v1 he had 3 other BB friends so rushing him was out of the question.

Yeah it's really messing up the game play as it's a beat all at any range regardless of angle tactic.  People know this and are forced to run away or just be on fire constantly without being able to effectively fight back.

It devolves the match into more passive play and your team constantly breaking ranks.  Not digging it at all.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles
On 9/11/2017 at 1:12 PM, Scout1 said:

Their short-fuse AP is the opposite of crap.

When KGV's AP fails to citadel a broadside Iowa, her AP is cr@p.

Members
51 posts
2,382 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

When KGV's AP fails to citadel a broadside Iowa, her AP is cr@p.

A ship two tiers above you with an underwater citadel.

You'll find that the other tier 7 BBs have about as much trouble doing so.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles
1 minute ago, Scout1 said:

If an Iowa flashes her broadside to Nagato, Colorado AP, that Iowa is going to get f--ked up.

[5D]
Members
53 posts
12,415 battles
12 hours ago, Scout1 said:

KGV has problems with any of the tier 9's with AP vs their broadside. I still liked the KGV, however I was not able to get 1 cit on any tier 9 that was broad. The AP is lacking especially at any given range. I did over come it by aiming at the deck line like all  the higher tiers were German.

12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If an Iowa flashes her broadside to Nagato, Colorado AP, that Iowa is going to get f--ked up.

He is not talking about the AP of other tier 7 BB's, which have an arming state of 0.33, where as the AP of the RN BB arms in of 0.015.  

The real issue here is that 356mm is pretty dam anemic for a tier 7, however the RoF does make up for it. If you play it more like a Scharn you will do well.

RN Penetration

- Fuse Time0.015 s
- Overmatch24 mm
- 5 km528 mm (2.40 s)
- 10 km433 mm (5.29 s)
- 15 km355 mm (8.75 s)
- 16.50 km336 mm (9.92 s)

US Penetration
- Fuse Time0.033 s
- Overmatch28 mm
- 5 km683 mm (2.37 s)
- 10 km559 mm (5.21 s)
- 15 km459 mm (8.63 s)
- 17.12 km423 mm (10.27 s)

Jap Penetration
- Fuse Time0.033 s
- Overmatch28 mm
- 5 km728 mm (2.27 s)
- 10 km589 mm (5.02 s)
- 15 km477 mm (8.36 s)
- 20 km392 mm (12.37 s)
- 20.46 km386 mm (12.77 s)

KM Penetration

Gneisenau
- Fuse Time0.033 s
- Overmatch26 mm
- 5 km638 mm (2.20 s)
- 10 km535 mm (4.78 s)
- 15 km449 mm (7.81 s)
- 17.77 km409 mm (9.71 s)

Scharnhorst

Penetration
- Fuse Time0.01 s
- Overmatch19 mm
- 5 km464 mm (2.07 s)
- 10 km368 mm (4.63 s)
- 15 km292 mm (7.78 s)
- 19.87 km238 mm (11.49 s)

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Citadels are rare now against Iowas. More than likely you'll just get a lot of normal pens.

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles

I don't really mind anymore, been kinda content with fires since the captain skill tech re-work. Most of the time anyways while these British BB's are trying to burn me down their showing me their juicy broadsides while I have AP loaded :Smile_playing:

Members
2,894 posts
1,365 battles
On 9/11/2017 at 4:09 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Granted, its coops, but I find the AP on KGV works fine.  If you get a nice broadside, yeah, it works.  Ofc, the HE, lol, deleted all of a Cleveland or something with 1 salvo, nuked a couple destroyers....lol. 

But yeah, the AP works if you aim well enough.  Plus, wiki says to get the AP within 10-12km, then it really works fine.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

KGV AP works fine against cruisers, so long as they are broadside.

but the AP is also very anemic against BBs, but why even bother shooting BBs with KGV AP, because 10 guns, 6100dmg, 41% fire chance HE.

You can easily get 10,000dmg from 5 hits, which will also, most likely, start 2 fires.

Beta Testers
1,299 posts
3,583 battles

I saw balance the ap out and turn down the fire chance on the he. it amkes nos ense to have good ap for cruisers and then not have some of that good ap on the battleships on a balanced level of course.

Sign in to follow this