You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GreyFox78659

GreyFox's Unsolicited Opinion: How to Control Your Win Rate

21 comments in this topic

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

GreyFox's Unsolicited Opinion: How to Control Your Win Rate; or how to STAT PAD!!!!!!

Yep call it what you want but controlling your win rate is pretty much stat padding. I have the much simpler simple steps to facilitate your win rate improvement.

1. Read reviews on ships and only play OP ships that nearly guarantee wins. Playing OP boats most of the time even if you hate them is a must for STAT PADDING getting a better win rate.

2. Never play Omaha Never grind through a tough ship, free XP over them. This pretty much means you will never suffer through loss after loss because you can not kill everything yourself and means more time in OP boats.

3. Complain constantly about your teammates performance and how they lost the match despite you being on their team Motivate your team to win!

4.Focus on kill stealing  Finish what your teammates couldn't wait in the back until a team softens up enemy for you then move in and kill the weak enemies first.

5. Play only Battleships other classes don't really effect the outcome of battle.

6. Take the game way too seriously. I mean waaayyyy too seriously.

7. Never aid Destroyers or Carriers they are there to be shamed, not listened too.

Remember having fun is not going to win games.

Edited by GreyFox78659

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

See GreyFox78659's win rate for proof of this.

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,043 battles

Little did I know the root of all my stat problems is the Omaha - free exp time and I will achieve nirvana ( or the grunge band Nirvana and will at least smell like teen spirit).

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
28 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

This sounds a little sour.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,661 battles

With the understanding that there may be a grain or two of truth in what you are saying here, I don't think that is the entire story. Some people just have a better understanding of game mechanics, ship characteristics, use of smoke and cover, and a better grasp of situational awareness in general while playing. Does what you describe happen? Sure it does. Do I think it is always the reason for a good win percentage? I do not.

If you are having fun, regardless of win percentage, my hat is off to you. But throwing everyone with "win rate improvement" into some hypothetical basket of selfish jerks doesn't make a lot of sense, brother.

Respects,

Am

[VX9]
Beta Testers
419 posts
7,944 battles

Have 2 accounts...One for fun the other to pad the WR..   Oh did I say that out loud?  I did...Wait, dont break any WG rules...

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,196 battles

I looked at my stats and yes, indeed! Without those pesky 56 battles in the Omaha my win rate would be so much higher! Thanks for the excellent advice, GreyFox; no need to learn those irksome game mechanics now. I'm sure it must be possible to retrospectively skip a ship.

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles

Three easy steps to improve WR that have helped me

Step 1.   Do not overplay, limit yourself to a certain amount of games per day

Step 2.   Stop while your ahead,  even if you have won only 1 more game than you have lost  you finish the day above 50%

Step 3.   Once you have mastered steps 1 and 2 then finish each day with 2 wins more and then 3  then 4  etc etc

My biggest problem throughout all the games i have played is i would win multiple matches 4-10 in a row then before i knew it i  would loose the next 4-10.

So now if i start the day with 5 straight wins then suffer 2-3 straight losses i just stop playing maybe for a few hours or even the whole day.

If i start the day with multiple losses i go to my carry ship the DesMoines get back to 50 % and call it a day

Because even if you finish the day at 50% the next day you do not have to climb out of a hole and you can build upon that 50%

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles
1 hour ago, Amracil said:

With the understanding that there may be a grain or two of truth in what you are saying here, I don't think that is the entire story. Some people just have a better understanding of game mechanics, ship characteristics, use of smoke and cover, and a better grasp of situational awareness in general while playing. Does what you describe happen? Sure it does. Do I think it is always the reason for a good win percentage? I do not.

If you are having fun, regardless of win percentage, my hat is off to you. But throwing everyone with "win rate improvement" into some hypothetical basket of selfish jerks doesn't make a lot of sense, brother.

Respects,

Am

Not directed at those people this is directed at CCs that put this stuff into the minds of the lemmings. My next article is probably going to be on how much carriers effect (no not really) wins and losses. Have fun, don't let the statists get to you, is the theme of these styles topics.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,661 battles
8 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Not directed at those people this is directed at CCs that put this stuff into the minds of the lemmings. My next article is probably going to be on how much carriers effect (no not really) wins and losses. Have fun, don't let the statists get to you, is the theme of these styles topics.

None of that bit about being directed at CCs came through clearly in your original post, brother. But even with that, I find myself wondering why you are seemingly bitter about it. Though I can't claim to have watched or read everything from our CCs, what I have watched and read has been for the most part helpful and informative. Was there one thing in particular that set this off?

Respects,

Am

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles
13 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

This sounds a little sour.

True, but having fun should trump a win rate percentage. I get this vibe that people equate win rate to the amount of joy one should be having. I would rather lose a well fought game than win a one sided slug fest.

[CINA]
[CINA]
Members
9 posts
442 battles

I find it interesting how so many people can be so hung up on win rate. Since you never fight a battle by yourself. (okay, once I did have a one on one Random battle, but that was only once-at tier II) the win or loss of the battle is not something that you are in total control of. Sure, if you do better, your team has a better chance of winning. However, that is not 100%. I have been in battles where I sank 2 or 3 ships, and we still lost. So, even though I did well, I get a loss. Of course, the opposite is true also. I have gone in and been surprised by a sneaky DD and not had any battle contribution, and we still won. So everyone's win rate, good or bad, is only as good or bad as the teams he or she has been on. Me personally, I couldn't care less about win rate. I play to have fun. If we win great, if not, oh well, better luck next time. Maybe I will have learned something in the loss and do better next time. Or maybe MM will not put me in a match with BB's two tiers above me.LOL

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Supertester
725 posts
12,005 battles

I could care less about my stats or anyone else’s.  I am here to have fun and sink some ships.

its a game after all.  

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Step 2.   Stop while your ahead,  even if you have won only 1 more game than you have lost  you finish the day above 50%

Step 3.   Once you have mastered steps 1 and 2 then finish each day with 2 wins more and then 3  then 4  etc etc

My biggest problem throughout all the games i have played is i would win multiple matches 4-10 in a row then before i knew it i  would loose the next 4-10.

So now if i start the day with 5 straight wins then suffer 2-3 straight losses i just stop playing maybe for a few hours or even the whole day.

If i start the day with multiple losses i go to my carry ship the DesMoines get back to 50 % and call it a day

Because even if you finish the day at 50% the next day you do not have to climb out of a hole and you can build upon that 50%

your three easy steps make sense, except for one thing:

the most I've ever won in a row was 4. the biggest losing streak was 12. sometimes, I don't want to go play something else, I want to play WoWs. MM not cooperating? don't feel like reversing off the map? stats going to take a hit.

the vast majority of the time, the first battle played is a loss. many times, when trying to stat pad, I've had two losses in a row. this means minimum 5 battles to scratch my way up over 50%.

sometime, play at 10 or 11 PM pacific time, and see what you think about MM and team play.

[MAPIA]
[MAPIA]
Members
8 posts
6,941 battles
  • Know your role and role can change depending on the situation. Example if you are a CA, at the start your role is to support friendly DD in capping. If you got badly damaged on the encounter, change role as a long range CA support ship.
  • Always be aware of your position relative to your enemies. Use islands, use smoke, use even the caps to hide your position or gain knowledge of the enemies.
  • Know your enemies. If you are a DD, at the start of the match, check for radar ships as they are your biggest threat when you smoke. Also know the range of their radar that can catch you.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
8 hours ago, not_acceptable said:

your three easy steps make sense, except for one thing:

the most I've ever won in a row was 4. the biggest losing streak was 12. sometimes, I don't want to go play something else, I want to play WoWs. MM not cooperating? don't feel like reversing off the map? stats going to take a hit.

the vast majority of the time, the first battle played is a loss. many times, when trying to stat pad, I've had two losses in a row. this means minimum 5 battles to scratch my way up over 50%.

sometime, play at 10 or 11 PM pacific time, and see what you think about MM and team play.

So win your 3 or 4 in randoms without loosing more than 3 or 4 then play the rest in coop if that is usually how it goes for you

I play all times of the days,  during the week i play from 5p.m to 11 p.m and on the weekends i play from 6p.m to as late as 6.a.m  

So it depends are you talking p.m or a.m  pacific time? 

Now looking at your ships i can tell you play a good mix of everything but you are killing your WR with the Alabama.

You have had some success in cruisers and carriers maybe go back and play them some more?

But you have not played more than 59 battles in one ship that being the Alabama.

Still a long way to go Grey,  i know i once was where you are now....maybe even a bit worse at 2000 battles or less and turned it around without joining any divisions.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
8 hours ago, jethro11 said:

I could care less about my stats or anyone else’s.  I am here to have fun and sink some ships.

its a game after all.  

:Smile_medal:Agree with that +1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
12 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

So win your 3 or 4 in randoms without loosing more than 3 or 4 then play the rest in coop if that is usually how it goes for you

I play all times of the days,  during the week i play from 5p.m to 11 p.m and on the weekends i play from 6p.m to as late as 6.a.m  

So it depends are you talking p.m or a.m  pacific time? 

Now looking at your ships i can tell you play a good mix of everything but you are killing your WR with the Alabama.

You have had some success in cruisers and carriers maybe go back and play them some more?

But you have not played more than 59 battles in one ship that being the Alabama.

Still a long way to go Grey,  i know i once was where you are now....maybe even a bit worse at 2000 battles or less and turned it around without joining any divisions.

hi gunstar. thanks for responding.

I don't have an Alabama.

not much experience in CVs, altho I'm trying to play them some.

i'm not grey. well, my hair is, but not my username.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
On 9/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

This is essentially what I do in WoT.  Works there as well.  

Still need to figure out how to consistently win even a few battles early in WoWS before I could implement it here.

Edited by OldFrog75