Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

Shin splints when running in boots?

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Does anyone here have extensive experience running in boots? I've been practicing some trail runs in boots and utes the last couple of weeks, and for some reason my shins are absolutely murdering me, which doesn't really happen when I'm in running shoes. I do have quite a high foot arch so I'm using the blue Superfeet insoles, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

[SYN]
Members
14,363 posts
10,224 battles

Two things I know about boots.

You typically have less ankle movement and this causes your foot to land harder than you would with shoes and can make your shins hurt.
Boots tend to have less cushioning, which exacerbates this problem.

Boots will cause chafing on the legs.
Shave your legs to prevent chafing, especially the ankle area.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I remember this from my time in the service.  I can't recall what made it go away, perhaps the boots just got broken in or my shins did.  But it did pass.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
27 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Two things I know about boots.

You typically have less ankle movement and this causes your foot to land harder than you would with shoes and can make your shins hurt.
Boots tend to have less cushioning, which exacerbates this problem.

Boots will cause chafing on the legs.
Shave your legs to prevent chafing, especially the ankle area.

I'm running in Bates Lites, which seem to have thinner soles compared to the heavier jungle boots, so perhaps that makes the lack of cushioning even worse. I'm trying to get these boots broken in and comfortable, but the difference in weight between these and the jungle boots is noticeable. The Lites are pretty poor for climbing ropes though, but nothing unmanageable.

Edited by DeliciousFart

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
2 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

Out of curiosity, why are you running in boots?  It's widely considered to be a bad idea.

For what I want to do, it's required.

[O_O]
Beta Testers
85 posts
6,850 battles

I know your pain. I spent 30 years in the Marines and had to deal with shin splints a number of times, usually after running in boots and sometimes from long distance hikes. Running in boots on any kind of hard surface can be problematic. Add in hills/inclines and it can be a surefire recipe for shin splints. I got fitted for insoles and made sure to properly stretch/flex my calves before and after my run which helped me considerably. Shin splints usually are a too much/too soon type of injury. Unfortunately, once you get them, the only way to get rid of them is 1-2 weeks of rest. Ice and anti-inflammatory medications will also help. Once you start back up, start with shorter, slower runs.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
1 minute ago, DeliciousFart said:

For what I want to do, it's required.

What is it?  One of those Spartan challenge type things or something?  I would probably walk with the boots to break them in, train in proper running shoes, then wear the boots only when required.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
1 minute ago, AspiringCodger said:

What is it?  One of those Spartan challenge type things or something?  I would probably walk with the boots to break them in, train in proper running shoes, then wear the boots only when required.

Marine Corps.

• Cool 1

[WFR]
Members
431 posts

Running technique will highly affect this. during my time in, my boots were the most comfortable thing, and it sure made wearing them all day really nice.

another factor regarding pain in the shins/lower knee is underdeveloped muscles supporting your ankles. often the muscle is being overstressed as it's too weak to deal with the strain. This might not be the case for you, though.

So basically you need to figure out

1) how strong your legs actually are (IE do you run often? have you ever run before? Have you tried any leg exercises in the gym?)

2) whether or not its your muscles, or the tendons. if you're lacking experience with running and your body, you better consult a pro, because you can really hurt yourself for a long time.

3) if the sole/support/whatever you got going on is actually beneficial to you, or hurting you.

4) lower the intensity of your training, and become more intense over time. start with forced marching, 120bpm for 3-5km per day. a rough approximation of 120bpm is the beat to the song 'black betty' by ramjam for reference. do that until it's comfortable for you to smash 10-15km with a low to medium sweat, then start speeding it up.

EDIT: saw you said you were trying out for the marines.

From here on out, build yourself a rack that can counterbalance yourself, or find something like it. Do 10 pullups whenever you pass a doorway, or enter or leave your house. you'll thank me later.

Edited by SinisterSe7en

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles

Get thick socks, that helps. Don't be afraid of wearing two pairs at once.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
3 hours ago, Devildog23 said:

Good luck!

Semper Fi

Thanks. I ran a sick PFT this past Saturday. Not my proudest score.

3 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Get thick socks, that helps. Don't be afraid of wearing two pairs at once.

I'm currently wearing the Thorlo socks that many have recommended, and they definitely have some more cushioning. It might just be me, but they also seem to "slide" more too.

I'm wondering if tying my laces too tightly might be a problem.

Edited by DeliciousFart

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
2 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

I'm wondering if tying my laces too tightly might be a problem.

Laces being too tight can definitely cause problems.  Also, when I was in basic we only ran in boots a couple of times, but they recommended we keep the laces a little looser by the ankle to allow for better movement.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
4 hours ago, SinisterSe7en said:

Running technique will highly affect this. during my time in, my boots were the most comfortable thing, and it sure made wearing them all day really nice.

another factor regarding pain in the shins/lower knee is underdeveloped muscles supporting your ankles. often the muscle is being overstressed as it's too weak to deal with the strain. This might not be the case for you, though.

So basically you need to figure out

1) how strong your legs actually are (IE do you run often? have you ever run before? Have you tried any leg exercises in the gym?)

2) whether or not its your muscles, or the tendons. if you're lacking experience with running and your body, you better consult a pro, because you can really hurt yourself for a long time.

3) if the sole/support/whatever you got going on is actually beneficial to you, or hurting you.

4) lower the intensity of your training, and become more intense over time. start with forced marching, 120bpm for 3-5km per day. a rough approximation of 120bpm is the beat to the song 'black betty' by ramjam for reference. do that until it's comfortable for you to smash 10-15km with a low to medium sweat, then start speeding it up.

EDIT: saw you said you were trying out for the marines.

From here on out, build yourself a rack that can counterbalance yourself, or find something like it. Do 10 pullups whenever you pass a doorway, or enter or leave your house. you'll thank me later.

Pull-ups are the bane of my existence. Been stuck at 15 for a while, and that new PFT standard requiring 23 pull-ups for full score? Ouch.

Edited by DeliciousFart

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Grunt Candy, stretching and Ice.  Compression fitting over the legs works as well (never tried that method though).  Eventually it passes as you get more used to it, but it's difficult to tough out until you do. 

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
3 hours ago, vonKaiser said:

Grunt Candy, stretching and Ice.  Compression fitting over the legs works as well (never tried that method though).  Eventually it passes as you get more used to it, but it's difficult to tough out until you do. 

I haven't tried KT taping before, and some people recommended these wraps around the legs. Do those affect your mobility while running?

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
On 9/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, DeliciousFart said:

Does anyone here have extensive experience running in boots? I've been practicing some trail runs in boots and utes the last couple of weeks, and for some reason my shins are absolutely murdering me, which doesn't really happen when I'm in running shoes. I do have quite a high foot arch so I'm using the blue Superfeet insoles, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Don't do that.

Don't run in boots.

March in boots, even quickly.

Don't run.

Put on a ruck, load it DOWN. 100 pounds? Start at 50ish, full load and all the crapyou can put on. Boots, helmet, uni/acu's?, Ruck/backpack/something, Chest/back weight to mimic body armor. (High up on the torso). Weigh yourself without all your crap on, and then do the same but full load. Start at 50-60ish, that is a common infantry load. Then work up. Elevation change is good.

It's called a quicktime or 100 steps per minute'ish, 'ish because you should be a bit over. Something like 115-125, its a slow fast walk. When you do P.T. and run in formation it's the thing in-between   

Good explanation: 

As a regular troop I was never asked to "run" in formation or on a hard surface in boots. You wear proper fitting running shoes for that. When you get into things like Ranger training it's different, they are trying to break you down.

Endurance, weight, pace.

Build on those.

Don't run in boots.

@DeliciousFart

Edited by trashpanda_oO0OoO0OoO0Oo
To @ someone

[SPTR]
Members
25,614 posts
10,802 battles

I run in boots for HvZ and paintball on a monthly basis make sure to wear thick woolly  socks and that your boots a tied nice and tight. Ppl in HvZ still run around in runners on the ground after it has rained so they slip when force to make a sudden change of direction when running my boots prevents it.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
7 hours ago, trashpanda_oO0OoO0OoO0Oo said:

Don't do that.

Don't run in boots.

March in boots, even quickly.

Don't run.

Put on a ruck, load it DOWN. 100 pounds? Start at 50ish, full load and all the crapyou can put on. Boots, helmet, uni/acu's?, Ruck/backpack/something, Chest/back weight to mimic body armor. (High up on the torso). Weigh yourself without all your crap on, and then do the same but full load. Start at 50-60ish, that is a common infantry load. Then work up. Elevation change is good.

It's called a quicktime or 100 steps per minute'ish, 'ish because you should be a bit over. Something like 115-125, its a slow fast walk. When you do P.T. and run in formation it's the thing in-between   

Good explanation: 

As a regular troop I was never asked to "run" in formation or on a hard surface in boots. You wear proper fitting running shoes for that. When you get into things like Ranger training it's different, they are trying to break you down.

Endurance, weight, pace.

Build on those.

Don't run in boots.

@DeliciousFart

The infamous endurance course at OCS is essentially a timed 3.2 mile run in boots, LBV, rifle, and 2 full canteen, which is why I'm preparing for that. I'm getting a weighted vest too, both for pull-ups and for some sprints.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,483 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, vonKaiser said:

stretching and Ice.  Compression fitting over the legs works as well (never tried that method though).  Eventually it passes as you get more used to it, but it's difficult to tough out until you do. 

This. I had to deal with shin splints for a long period because I was running hills and stretching + ice was a godsend. Other than that: complete rest. Cushioning won't help you at this point as the inflammation already took place.

Edited by m373x

Sign in to follow this