You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dapmiti

essex help?

11 comments in this topic

[EDEG]
Beta Testers
14 posts
4,591 battles

i suck at my essex... i've got 100k xp left till the midway...

what should i be doing with my essex?

nothing seems to be fun

what am i doing wrong?

help would be appriciated

thanks

Members
1,015 posts
12,931 battles

You've ground out the USN CV line to T9 so you must have been doing something right up until now. Many players won't even touch CVs and of those that do play them many give up on the USN line long before the Essex. The upper tier AA is horrific so I'll grant you that as making it more difficult. The only advice I can give you, you probably know already. For the 1st half of the game play mostly for spotting and air defense for the team. In the second half of the game after the reds have been softened up and had many AA mounts destroyed is when you go after the ships.

Members
474 posts
8,410 battles

I just finished my essex with the 2/1/1 build.   I had to balance between firepower and protection.  Worked well for me.  I'd love to offer more advice but I don't know exactly what issue you are having.

Members
474 posts
8,410 battles
21 minutes ago, Reyteitoku said:

2-1-1 is garbage.

Hardly, does damage and can still protect reasonably well.  Unlike 3-2-0  or give up most of your protection, let teammates die, and get rocked by every other CV class except your mirror image of 1-3-1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,324 posts
14,705 battles
1 hour ago, Reyteitoku said:

2-1-1 is garbage.

Very well reasoned and helpful post. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[ZR]
Members
86 posts
2,565 battles
5 hours ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

Hardly, does damage and can still protect reasonably well.  Unlike 3-2-0  or give up most of your protection, let teammates die, and get rocked by every other CV class except your mirror image of 1-3-1

I tottally would play 3-2-0, if it was a thing. 3-0-2 on the other hand is even worse than 2-1-1.

56k avg damage, less than one average kill,  mere 22 planekills and 47 % winrate. that is pretty awful.

Your teammates die anyway  - its like chess, you dont play to keep everyone alive.

Members
474 posts
8,410 battles
6 minutes ago, Reyteitoku said:

I tottally would play 3-2-0, if it was a thing. 3-0-2 on the other hand is even worse than 2-1-1.

56k avg damage, less than one average kill,  mere 22 planekills and 47 % winrate. that is pretty awful.

Your teammates die anyway  - its like chess, you dont play to keep everyone alive.

Oh so tie middle number is the torpedo bombers?   Thanks, I forget what is what.  Appreciate that.   Mind you in every CV I had till the Essex (excluding my starting tier which had a stupid bad luck), I've done above 50% win chance.  Mind you, I don't exclusively play CV's, so I am more 'casual' on it.   Also playing as a BB/DD/CA, keeping your teammates alive is VALUABLE.   People don't seem to get the idea if I kill 1 ship but keep 4 alive, its far better than killing 3-4 ships and letting 3-4 ships die.  Alive teammates do damage.  

Edit:  Please note I have 1/3rd your CV battles, furthermore I didn't play my CV for about a year.  And didn't get torp planes till the Essex because I got the Lexington right after they changed it.  You state its "garbage" but give no reasoning behind it.  You may be very good at CV's.  I checked your stats, but don't think because I actually spend a moment to help my team.  Scouting, spotting, doing what I can to help the overall that I am bad.   I can't strafe and get those clicks as good as you, I don't know every single minutia of every plane, every ship, every CV I could fight to use it to my advantage like you can.  Just because I don't have that knowledge/practice/skill.  Doesn't mean my choices on HOW to play my CV are bad.  Honestly its people like you who are selfish when it comes to CV play that gives CV players a bad name.  I enjoy saving my teammates from enemy strikes.  Destroying the enemy attacks.  I sit back and learn from my many mistakes, and I have made a LOT.  Especially with how out of practice I am.  For I am out of practice.  Check the CV's I had more practice under.   My Lex, my Ranger, those I played as fighters with bombers only.  My winrate?  Over 50%  Damage ranged, but I did what I could.  So Maybe instead of knocking other players, and giving ZERO help but insults to those who play.  Maybe offering advice, questions, reasoning.  I am still waiting on the original poster to further explain his problem so I can try to help him.

Edited by Valdez_Raptor
  • Cool 1

[ZR]
Members
86 posts
2,565 battles
4 minutes ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

Oh so tie middle number is the torpedo bombers?   Thanks, I forget what is what.  Appreciate that.   Mind you in every CV I had till the essex (excluding my starting tier which had a stupid bad luck), I've done above 50% win chance.  Mind you, I don't exclusively play CV's, so I am more 'casual' on it.   Also playing as a BB/DD/CA, keeping your teammates alive is VALUABLE.   People don't seem to get the idea if I kill 1 ship but keep 4 alive, its far better than killing 3-4 ships and letting 3-4 ships die.  Alive teammates do damage.  

just above 50 % is nothing more than average. and its fine you said that you casual - but for someone like this you seem to have very strong opinions.

if you kill enemy ships they dont do damage to your beloved teammates. You wont stop AP and HE shells mid-air with planes anyway. You wont stop that guy from yoloing or beeing afk, either. spotted torps still need to be dodged, and keeping that bordersurfing BB alive is only a burden.

I dont know whats the point of the example, its clear that it is unrealistic - sinking enemy ships will contribute more to wins than keeping people alive - in almost all matches.

Members
474 posts
8,410 battles

Considering above 50% in US CV's a little bit more than 'just average' but that was a while ago.  We had different opinions on this, but I will say I am more defensive because of the way you respond to my posts.  You should try to be more tactful in your replies and not just call something garbage.

[ZR]
Members
86 posts
2,565 battles

a little bit is not much, if anything.

I am pretty tactful to call the loadout garbage - and not the player.

A lot of player would call essex or the entire usn line garbage, but not me.

I could ve been more direct....but I refrain from from doing so.