• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

146 posts in this topic

Today is 9/11. 16 years ago, two planes hit the World Trade Center, one plane hit the Pentagon, and the last plane's hijackers were sabatoged by brave Americans aboard, saving the lives of those who may have been hurt, while sacrificing their own. Many civilians and first responders died that day. Where were you all those years ago, on that fateful day?
Image result for Twin Tower Plane Crash

911-pentagon-3days.jpg

Image result for 9 11 Pennsylvania Crash Flight 93

Please be respectful of the thread and refrain from responding to anyone posting or siding with any conspiracy theories.

Also, look through this forum thread for time-checks on the timeline of the attacks. You will see them in big letters.

Edited by Battleship_MaineMk1

WHile this is in the wrong section I will happily respond. I was at home, having a day with my family and playing with legos, building the twin towers themselves because I had JUST learned about them... just to look up at the TV and see the buildings I had learned and were building go down. 

I cannot truly remember. I was only 5, but I do know I was at home, probably doing school, but other than that, I don't remember.

I had gone to downtown Chillicothe, Ohio (my home-town) so I could pay a phone bill at Chillicothe Phone (Ma-Bell). When I walked in they had the waiting room TVs on and the volume all the way up.

The first plane had hit one of the towers and the News was broadcasting about it, while I was standing in line the young Lady, (who was waiting on me was crying) about the time I got up to her the second plane hit the other tower.

The Young Lady looked at me with tear filled eyes and asked "who could of done this?" I told her I felt it was most likely terrorists, and probably Arabs. Most of the room was in tears (including me) has we watched the TVs.

I paid the bill and headed home, by the time I got home both towers where in flames. I worked security then and because of this incident I was called it, the factory I was a officer at (Kenworth) was on the defense contractors standby list (they could be tooled up to produce war equipment), as the week passed and more news came out and learned more I was amazed how many people had forgotten history.

On one of my 3rd shifts, the cleaning crew was really young (17-21) and they was talking about it. I reminded them that this was not the first time that the USA had been attack, I could tell by the blank look on their faces they has no idea what I was talking about!

So I said December the 7th 1941 remember? Still the blank look, "The Attack on Pearl Harbor" I said, to which the youngest of the Ladies said "That is when the Russians attacked us right?

Was in a meeting with our group leads.  Someone opened the door and told us a plane had crashed into a building in NYC.  I thought, "Okay, busy air traffic corridor....we'll hear more about this I'm sure."  A bit later same guy came in and said a second had crashed into the 2nd WTC building.  I said "Gentlemen, we are at war."  We adjourned and went to where the news was on.  Several there with kids were nervous.  Any who had kids, I told them to leave if they wanted and spend the rest of the day with their families if they felt they needed to.  Many were visibly shaken and some nearly in tears.  Later I remember hearing that the astronauts could see the plume of smoke and dust without the need for any optics. 

26 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

On one of my 3rd shifts, the cleaning crew was really young (17-21) and they was talking about it. I reminded them that this was not the first time that the USA had been attack, I could tell by the blank look on their faces they has no idea what I was talking about!

So I said December the 7th 1941 remember? Still the blank look, "The Attack on Pearl Harbor" I said, to which the youngest of the Ladies said "That is when the Russians attacked us right?

Not to mention that little scuffle we had with the Brits around 1812. 

I was 15 and I was heading for work when a friend met me on the street and told me what has happened, didn't know what to think about it at first but later I watched the news and got an idea of the magnitude of the event. 

fix'd

Edited by m373x

I was on duty and was listening to the radio when the first reports came in.  The very first reports I heard sounded like a small, private plane had hit the first tower.  Then reports of the second plane began.  I stopped by my mom's place to see some of the TV coverage, and it was very clear by that point what was really going on.  A couple of hours later we were hearing reports that the entire North American aviation industry was being grounded immediately.

In the days that followed, however, I was humbled to see the American people pull together.  A sense of nation swept the country and American flags were hanging everywhere.  We are still the same Americans...I wish that sense of nationalism would have stuck around longer...

5 minutes ago, m373x said:

Not sure if jet fuel can melt steel beams.

Just don't, man.  Please don't turn this into a 9/11 conspiracy argument.

59 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

:Smile_facepalm: Why?????

32 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Not to mention that little scuffle we had with the Brits around 1812. 

Or the Truck Bomb at the Towers

9 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

:Smile_facepalm: Why?????

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I was only in 2nd grade when it happened, but I do remember another teacher coming into our room and telling ours to turn the tv on, and I remember seeing images of the towers with smoke coming out of them.

Other than that, unfortunately I don't remember much else. Our teacher didn't have the volume up and was keeping us busy with worksheets.

But in honor of all those whole lost their lives that day: :Smile_honoring:

Sitting in the conference room at work with the entire office watching in shocked disbelief! The sorrow and rage in that room was almost visible in the air. :etc_swear:

The sorrow still remains for all those families who suffered loss that day. Pride for the brave passengers who tried to fight back on flight 93. Cold hatred for the psychotic nutcases who wrap themselves in God's name to justify their acts against others all over the world. 

When the news broke I was headed out to fly a training mission with my crew, we canceled the mission and stayed in operations to watch the news.  The next day at the airfield was extremely odd, no sound of aircraft what so ever, just an eerie silence.

33 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

It can't.

Then I guess the steel aircraft hanger that burned in my then hometown when I was a kid didn't collapse into a pile of scrap.

Hint: watch blacksmithing videos on YouTube. Iron and steel loose most of their strength when nowhere close to melting. 

I was sleeping when my dad ran into my room and told me to come look at the TV.  I got there just in time to see the 2nd plane hit live on TV.   I was so young I did not really understand any of the politics going on behind the attack, but I still vividly remember the shock in my dad's voice when the 2nd plane hit.

59 minutes ago, m373x said:

I was 15 and I was heading for work when a friend met me on the street and told me what has happened, didn't know what to think about it at first but later I watched the news and got an idea of the magnitude of the event. Not sure if jet fuel can melt steel beams.

Really, you went there. First off the towers had large diameter pressurized gas mains that got sheared off and ignited. Not to mention ton upon ton of fabric, paper, wood, plastic etc that added to the conflagration. Please, let the adults remember and go harp this somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

Today is 9/11. 16 years ago, two planes hit the World Trade Center, one plane hit the Pentagon, and the last plane's hijackers were sabatoged by brave Americans aboard, saving the lives of those who may have been hurt, while sacrificing their own. Many civilians and first responders died that day. Where were you all those years ago, on that fateful day?

OK, so on the 9/10 the day before, Monday..  I was in a business meeting in the Twin Towers on the 78th floor with a group of investment bankers.  The meeting was scheduled for 9/11 at 9:30 but I had got into NY early and got a phone call on Sunday saying that since I was already there.. let's move the meeting to Monday.   So on 9/11 itself I had re-arranged my travel back to the UK and was on the 7:30 am flight out of NY when the towers were still standing and I watched them out of the window.

About an hour into the trip, strange things started happening..  the news feed on the plane stopped working and shortly after we were joined by 2 F18's (I believe).. one on either wing tip which stayed for about an hour or so with us.   No-one would tell us what was going on, but when we landed at Heathrow, the place was crazy and we were pounced on by news reporters all screaming.,.  what do you thi8nk about what happened in New York.. to which all we could do was look and stare.  It wasn't till we were out of the airport that we heard what had happened later that evening UK time.

None of the people I had met with the day before survived  :Smile_honoring:

M

I can't be more proud of those men and women on United 93.  They knew their plane was hijacked, and they were hearing reports of what was happening in New York and Washington DC.  All on board probably knew their fate.  Many probably refused to believe it and were hopelessly thinking all could turn out well if they just did nothing and let it happen.  Others, however, turned into warriors.  Knowing their chances of survival were minute, they banded together, hatched a plan, and attacked their armed captors.  Their bravery and heroism is truly remarkable.  They have my utmost respect and admiration.

2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I can't be more proud of those men and women on United 93.  They knew their plane was hijacked, and they were hearing reports of what was happening in New York and Washington DC.  All on board probably knew their fate.  Many probably refused to believe it and were hopelessly thinking all could turn out well if they just did nothing and let it happen.  Others, however, turned into warriors.  Knowing their chances of survival were minute, they banded together, hatched a plan, and attacked their armed captors.  Their bravery and heroism is truly remarkable.  They have my utmost respect and admiration.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."

10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I saw this in another forum thread. 

It has been 16 years since that horrible day with the loss of humanity. The victims are remember today from that horrendous act. They were the only flight to fight back versus evil. Today is my part in remembering a field in Shanksville, PA. A field that was last site to get its memorial completed due to funding. Granted the field is not part of a major city or a military facility, however it too should not be forgotten on this day. 

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_93

http://www.honorflight93.org/

I was at work. When we heard that a plane had hit one of the towers we thought it was another one of those small commuter or private planes. Then when we heard another plane had hit the other tower we were dismayed. It wasn't until I got home that we had found out what had really happened that day.

8 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

PLEASE! Let's just ignore the conspiracy comments and get back to the topic of the thread. Just ignore and move on.

100% Agree