Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NoCoGaming3645

Bad UI/UX design for consumable hotkeys

8 comments in this topic

Members
842 posts

It's a pretty bad (and very basic error) to have multiple different consumables mapped to the same keys on different ships.

That is, we currently have a fixed number of consumable "slots" on each ship, mapped to T R U Y hotkeys.  The problem is, not only can each key potentially have different consumables mounted based on your in-port decision (e.g. Hydro vs DAA), but different ships use different hotkeys for the same consumable. For example, U is usually Heal, but on some ships, it's T, with U mapped to smoke.

I see this happen ALL the time in battles where people obviously push the wrong button. This is AWFUL User Experience design, and a very elementary mistake that any UI/UX designer would point out in 2 seconds. Especially since the game encourages people to switch ships regularly.

Programatically, the correct thing to do is map a unique hotkey to each consumable, and then enforce the "which do I chose" selection in port.

Heal should always be (let's say) H, regardless of which ship I'm on, and what other consumables I've chosen.

The same for Repair Party, Radar, Hydro, Smoke, Defensive AA, Fighters, Spotter Planes, and every new consumable that someone dreams up.

We've got more than enough hotkeys left to assign.

• Cool 5

[TBW]
Members
6,305 posts
11,856 battles

I agree, I hate having to look every time because, I have made the mistake of hitting the wrong key.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles

I haven't really had a problem with it. Maybe once or twice I have pushed the wrong consumable but not I would have done that regardless. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
6 hours ago, EAnybody said:

It's a pretty bad (and very basic error) to have multiple different consumables mapped to the same keys on different ships.

That is, we currently have a fixed number of consumable "slots" on each ship, mapped to T R U Y hotkeys.  The problem is, not only can each key potentially have different consumables mounted based on your in-port decision (e.g. Hydro vs DAA), but different ships use different hotkeys for the same consumable. For example, U is usually Heal, but on some ships, it's T, with U mapped to smoke.

I see this happen ALL the time in battles where people obviously push the wrong button. This is AWFUL User Experience design, and a very elementary mistake that any UI/UX designer would point out in 2 seconds. Especially since the game encourages people to switch ships regularly.

Programatically, the correct thing to do is map a unique hotkey to each consumable, and then enforce the "which do I chose" selection in port.

Heal should always be (let's say) H, regardless of which ship I'm on, and what other consumables I've chosen.

The same for Repair Party, Radar, Hydro, Smoke, Defensive AA, Fighters, Spotter Planes, and every new consumable that someone dreams up.

We've got more than enough hotkeys left to assign.

Been asking for consistent key assignments across ship since like, well, almost since public opening day. Nothing yet. GL with this request! 

Sign in to follow this