You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Bunyan_

Kamikaze (not the "R")

21 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
287 posts
13,599 battles

So I was playing a game and saw a kamikaze and a kamikaze R on the same team. I know about both, but I was wondering... when did the kamikaze go for sale or whatnot?

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

I think it was only available on NA through personal offers and maybe the Christmas Crates.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,607 posts
8,799 battles

I know they sold it on NA at one point I think it was right b4 the IJN dd line split and the torp changes being said that they wouldn't sell it again.

shot-17.09.10_19.57.49-0494.jpg

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
1 hour ago, _Bunyan_ said:

Now there is no difference between them... right?

Nope, why Fujin, Kami, Kami R and formerly Minekaze (as it used to have the exact same stats as them and they were all based off it just I believe stock hull AA and HP), were simply at one time, and still really are "The Kaze Clones" - at one time while my drawing skills suck and I'd need a decent free program to do it I was thinking of doing a TankToonsesq play with WoWs and having it be a parody of "Avengers, age of Ultron" with the Kaze clones as Ultron (or as I planned to call it, Kazetron). Minekaze now has the lower torp speed and all, but Kami R, Kami and Fujin differ only in name and paint scheme, with Fujin the most likely to be sold again, due to it's Halloween theme. 

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles

There was some hype, right around x-mas - "last time it would be sold", picked one up, you could get it as a single - fun little torp machine

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles

Kami  was available last few days of December 2016, and Like a week of January 2017, for $13.99 i think it was?  Very cheap little troll bote.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
20 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Nope, why Fujin, Kami, Kami R and formerly Minekaze

Please allow me to straighten this out, as @WanderingGhost is slightly off point on this one.

Fujin, Kamikaze, and Kamikaze R are all the same ships; when I say same I mean EXACTLY the same except for the camo/paint.

SAME EVERYTHING.

Minikaze is similar, though different; she was NEVER a Kami sister (there are only 3 I know of). Minikaze is just a very similar DD from the same era as the Kami boats.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Please allow me to straighten this out, as @WanderingGhost is slightly off point on this one.

Fujin, Kamikaze, and Kamikaze R are all the same ships; when I say same I mean EXACTLY the same except for the camo/paint.

SAME EVERYTHING.

Minikaze is similar, though different; she was NEVER a Kami sister (there are only 3 I know of). Minikaze is just a very similar DD from the same era as the Kami boats.

I may have miss worded what I meant somewhat, I was never sure if they were the exact same ship, they looked similar to me, at times, but what was really more going for was that there was a time where, as much as they may have been a different class but similar that for the most part, on paper and game play pre-nerf, Minekaze was almost the exact same as Fujin and both Kamikaze's. Brain does not always function right after 1 am.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles

In game Kamikaze (and K-R) and Fujin are basically the old Minekaze with premium tag, camo ...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,870 posts
13,378 battles

There were slight differences between the Kami sisters and Minekaze.

From memory the torpedo arcs were smaller on the Minekaze and it was slightly faster.  Apart from those they were pretty much just reskins.

Edited by Camo68

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

Kami is a most excellent little tin can.  If you ever get a chance to pick one up, and enjoy stealthy DD play, do not hesitate.  It is well worth the money.

B

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
11 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Minekaze was almost the exact same as Fujin and both Kamikaze's.

The sad truth about what WoW has done to IJN DD's is as follows; when Fujin was originally introduced she was considered SUBSTANDARD when compared to Minikaze, and at first was not universally greeted with the warm reception she gets now. Fujin, and the other two Kami sisters were only appreciated when WoW took the nerf hammer to both the Minikaze and the IJN DD's in general, bringing up what was originally a marginal torpedo boat and making her a stealth monster.

So apparently the trick to being successful in an IJN DD is to buy a "meh" premium and wait for WoW to nerf the rest of the line into making it a monster.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

So apparently the trick to being successful in an IJN DD is to buy a "meh" premium and wait for WoW to nerf the rest of the line into making it a monster.

The rare power un-creep? decreep?  

*waits patiently for harekaze to become ZOMGPOWURRFUL* 

Edited by AnimaL21

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

Yeah, the Kamikazes are no better than they ever were, just better by comparison to the nerfed Minekaze.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
12 hours ago, Umikami said:

The sad truth about what WoW has done to IJN DD's is as follows; when Fujin was originally introduced she was considered SUBSTANDARD when compared to Minikaze, and at first was not universally greeted with the warm reception she gets now. Fujin, and the other two Kami sisters were only appreciated when WoW took the nerf hammer to both the Minikaze and the IJN DD's in general, bringing up what was originally a marginal torpedo boat and making her a stealth monster.

Thing is I never understood that rap. I did get it before the Minekaze nerf, and it was just as good to me, just was it at that time Minekaze had 10 km torps I think that were just as fast? To me IJN was bordering OP as someone that really only played IJN DD's when it came to DD's, and post nerf, I still think they are mostly fine, maybe just a tad over nerfed. But that's me, I got the Fujin/Kami R and loved them. Then again, how many say Shino is crap and I love the thing and think it's great.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles
2 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Thing is I never understood that rap. I did get it before the Minekaze nerf, and it was just as good to me, just was it at that time Minekaze had 10 km torps I think that were just as fast? To me IJN was bordering OP as someone that really only played IJN DD's when it came to DD's, and post nerf, I still think they are mostly fine, maybe just a tad over nerfed. But that's me, I got the Fujin/Kami R and loved them. Then again, how many say Shino is crap and I love the thing and think it's great.

I think the "issue" was just because as you said, these premium were as good as the regular one. People who bought it probably felt like they have been deceived. Why would you spend real money on a ship that is identical to the one you can have with in game credit ?.  Same thing can be said to people who buy Prinz Eugen and come on the forum to say "I hate her she sucks, like the Hipper"

Come to think it's pretty funny how WG nerfed the IJN line and Minekaze because according to their "data" it was OP, then like 5 hours after the nerf, they decide to sale the Kamikaze, Fujin (basically the pre nerf Minekaze) .

And Shinonome isn't crap....but her concealment make her hard to play. At least to me

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
25 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I think the "issue" was just because as you said, these premium were as good as the regular one. People who bought it probably felt like they have been deceived. Why would you spend real money on a ship that is identical to the one you can have with in game credit ?.  Same thing can be said to people who buy Prinz Eugen and come on the forum to say "I hate her she sucks, like the Hipper"

Come to think it's pretty funny how WG nerfed the IJN line and Minekaze because according to their "data" it was OP, then like 5 hours after the nerf, they decide to sale the Kamikaze, Fujin (basically the pre nerf Minekaze) .

And Shinonome isn't crap....but her concealment make her hard to play. At least to me

See, regardless of if they are the same class or not to me, Shino is a Fubuki with an extra turret and torp acceleration built in basically. There's only 1 km difference in Fujin spot range if you don't go all out on stealth, which I've worked with. Shino can get almost 2 full stealth build, and has the 2x2 in the back that I encounter another DD alone, I turn to run because they have to broadside to match me or chase firing 2 barrels max, and if other ships, drop smoke as I run. For me, it's like every other IJN DD but the guns to me are better.

And simply put, a name, a slight difference, or just a collector. Pennsylvania if they make a tech tree split would be an Arizona that maybe, depending how they do it, gets more AA. But maybe they make it a tier 7 with the 1945 ish upgrades. Or maybe it stays at 6 but I won't regret Arizona because it's Arizona. Shangri-La as I propose it is a stock Essex, just P-51's swapped in for the F4U and B-25's for the DB's, basically a visual change. Hell, if we get USS Philadelphia it may be a generic Brooklyn clone. Sometimes, it's the name and the small things. Bismarck and Tirpitz are now almost the same, I regret neither, albeit, I do better in Tirpitz, and bare in mind that it was before they buffed it, and with honestly limited torpedo use (because they usually get knocked out before I'm in range). As I recall, Wargaming was pretty open Prinz was a clone basically, if not CC's like Mouse were. Though the other "Why" - skipping the sometimes long and painful grind.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
10 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

at that time Minekaze had 10 km torps I think that were just as fast?

I remember Mini having her 10K torps; but I remember them as being slower than molasses in February. Fujin (and her sisters) were not ever bad ships; they were just never the OP, BB sinking terrors they are now before the huge torp nerf. When Fujin was first introduced she had decent speed, camo, detection, etc.; but none of her skills was really OP. Her guns rotated marginally better than Mimi; but she was slower overall. Many players did, and still do, confuse the 3 Kami boats with both Mini and Isokaze, because in fact they were quite similar until the line ships got nerf-hammered to death.