Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Drakenred

The orvill

27 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,292 posts
Just now, pmgaudio said:

Exactly! I'd love to help him but I don't know what to help him with

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,297 battles
4 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Exactly! I'd love to help him but I don't know what to help him with

IKR....
I  mean we all know Seth McFarland is a comedy genius.... so I am not sure what the issue is....

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles
30 minutes ago, Drakenred said:

Ok....

what the hell was was that I just watched?

and does anyone who made it know?

It's a Star Trek spoof.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,292 posts
Just now, pmgaudio said:

IKR....
I  mean we all know Seth McFarland is a comedy genius.... so I am not sure what the issue is....

Maybe he just hasn't seen Star Trek? Maybe he was expecting it to be about Popcorn? Or one of the Wright Brothers?

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

Well to me the problem is that felt like it was dragging, and parts were needlessly predictable.

I suspect part of the problem is trying to maintain the original ST series pacing in a hour long format while trying to remain a comedy.

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
43 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Maybe he just hasn't seen Star Trek? Maybe he was expecting it to be about Popcorn? Or one of the Wright Brothers?

I was hopeing for something along the lines of Galaxy quest.

what I got was a hour long episode of Hyperdrive, or a episode or Red Dwarf with half the script cut out to make time for the special effects.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

Seth McFarlane is a HUGE trekkie and his dream is to either be in/on Star Trek or create a show in honor of it, Orville is this show. It actually takes things from several scifi shows it appears. Honestly hes pretty passionate about it and I think the show will end up pretty good if its given time (which it a hard thing considering the modern TV market)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,785 battles

I enjoyed it. A lot. The tree was funny.

Beta Testers
1,222 posts
8,353 battles

Not enough gags.....show will run out of steam and McFarlane will soon resort to potty humor B4 it's cancelled. Galaxy Quest was sooooo much better.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
49 posts
5,973 battles
2 hours ago, Scotty_SE said:

Not enough gags.....show will run out of steam and McFarlane will soon resort to potty humor B4 it's cancelled. Galaxy Quest was sooooo much better.

Absolutely this.

Members
10 posts
1,075 battles

Seth McFarland has a gift for comedic voices and animated characters. 

When he leaves that realm, prepare to be disappointed. 

It is like they couldn't decide if they were filming Star Trek, or SpaceBalls; and it is just confused and sad. This show was one of the biggest wastes of time, money and effort I've ever seen. 

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

To be fair last weeks was good.

but this week?

seriously?

were they taking pot shots at China and it's now Basicaly defunct one child policy and the quacks who try to convince people they can "cure the gay" or something? The entire thing was just painful to watch.

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,730 battles

I watched the first two episodes and just kind of lost interest. Not funny enough to be a comedy, not serious enough to be a "regular" sci fi show.. The set designs are great, decent effects, props, makeup, and costumes. But as with most new tv shows/movies, the writing is just bad. The characters are not interesting, the dialogue is juvenile, and tons of plot holes. I love sci fi shows, love Star Trek, and think Galaxy Quest was a fantastic movie with just enough goof and just enough seriousness to make it truly awesome. I was wishing for greatness with Orville, hoping for watchable, but IMHO it is just awful. 

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

Seriously when the blatantly offensive sexual deviant  jellow pee monster ends up being the least offensive thing in the episode you know you have a problem.

[SG72]
Members
1 post
593 battles
On 9/10/2017 at 11:31 PM, Umikami said:

I enjoyed it. A lot. The tree was funny.

That was extremely predictable. The moment the super tree was talked about I know it would be used somehow. Then the time field thing gave the how.

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

I will say this about Discovery. It sucked less than Orville.

But. . . That's not saying much...

that said, the Discovery is off to a slightly rocky start, not as bad as NG season one, but still nothing it can't recover from.

That said, did they realy have to go that far to prove they were ignoring Roddenberry golden rule?

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

Well this episode ....

From best to worst

4 Comand performance

3 For the world is holl er sorry if the stars should appear

2 Old wounds 

1 about a girl

This is on a scale on 1-10 by the way,

Seriously, the only reason to watch this is it's on after Gotham.

In a way it's like watching a bad televised ripoff of squirrel girl only with less dramatic tension and no clue as to why she was funny.

and frankly I'd wrather not waste the electricity to watch it any more.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

I'm trying to catch up today, the third episode is good. Tackling sex change is a difficult subject and they did it in a pretty good way, serious yet light hearted. I'm sure TNG would have been pretty serious lol. It feels like Orville is finding its feet

[SYN]
Members
14,350 posts
10,224 battles

Like Family Guy and American Dad, It's very fresh and enticing at the start, but gets stale very quickly as the formerly fresh ideas get recycled until it's just a sloppy mush.

Kind of like a Brandon Fraser and other one hit wonders, except Seth is somehow able to harness that... whatchamacallit into a show.
Most other people are only able to do that with songs.

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,730 battles

I dunno, really don't find it very funny. It has a few moments but nothing that makes me laugh out loud. More of just a "aww that was cute" moments. Again not funny enough to be a comedy, not dramatic enough for a "real" sci fi show. Just kind of meh. Don't hate it, want to like it, but really just is not all that good. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

I got caught up last night, the third episode is the highlight of the season so far, very trekky with the topic and how it was handled. That said I see solid plots but the execution is very hit or miss. Some really good moments followed with meh moments. I know Seth is a huge sci-fi geek and a bigger Trekkie so I'm hoping this doesn't to the show rehashing lame jokes or story lines

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

next on Not Startrec! The Crew set out to steal a Krill bible and debate murduring kids!

Ooohhhh kaaaaayyyyyy........

Aparently from the sound of things, no one  outside of the Krill has an actual clue about them beyond what they look like, and somehow we can carry on a conversation.....

Sign in to follow this