You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Camo68

What is the best Tier 4 Destroyer?

Tier 4 Destroyers  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Tier 4 Destroyer?

36 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles

After mucking around with cruisers I thought I would get back to my favourite class DDs.

I hadn't played the Clemson so thought it would be fun to play a bit in it in conjunction with the British BB release.

What a nice little ship and so strong where the Isokaze wasn't, contesting caps and fighting other DDs. So I wondered which was the better of the two and it was still the Isokaze as it's torps really do counter BBs where the Clemson struggles due to detectability (And RN BB HE salvos doing 10,000 damage and starting 2 fires!) .

So what do I think is the best tier 4 DD?  Neither, IMO it is the V-170. The perfect balance of low detectability, good torp range and guns that you can duel with!

What do you think is the best?

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
10,592 battles

C'mon Camo68, you could have prefaced the title with "Lifting the veil on sealclubbing" or lifting the tier on.... :Smile_teethhappy:

o7 mate

Edit: Might have to have a look at the V-170 soon(ish)

Edited by 33nfidel

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles
1 minute ago, 33nfidel said:

C'mon Camo68, you could have prefaced the title with "Lifting the veil on sealclubbing" or lifting the tier on.... :Smile_teethhappy:

o7 mate

It's true I do love to put those pesky seals back in their place!  But in my defense there weren't too many new players going up the RN BB line.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Clemson simply offers so much to offset its lower torp range.  The guns are fantastic...they can shred other destroyers and when firing from concealment (smoke or from behind an island) you can make battleships really hate you.  She has torps on both sides of the ship.  If you can get close enough, you drop one side of torps, turn to flee and drop the other side of torps for a T9-level torp wall.  Or, you can YOLO charge in between two ships and torp them both at the same time. 

Plus, there are a lot of missions for destroyers that start at T4.  Co-op can be easy mode for these missions, and Clemson is an absolute monster in Co-op.

Clemson, hands down.

[BLUE_]
Members
385 posts
14,090 battles

The boat that have 12 torps in tier 4 (i dont mind torp range until this tier), that have 8 guns (can fire 6 of them in a broadside), that smoke consumable and can compete drift with street cars. What was the name of that ship again?

Edit: if someone wants to say another ship that isnt Clemson 1v1 me with "your best tier 4 destroyer". If u can win i'll give u cookies!

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,453 battles

Why not all?

The Clemson is an absolute beast, reasons known/unknown.

Isokaze, imo, feels like an old prebuff Minekaze.

The Izzy has great guns, and lol torps.

V-170 is a balance that is amazing.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,785 battles

V-170 is good against same tier opponents, but has difficulty with higher tier DD's. This is an issue Clemson does not suffer from, and for that reason, good against uptiering, I picked Clemson over the others listed.

[TOG]
Members
18 posts
9,026 battles

Clemson can do everything, it can be a beast against other tier 4 DD's, hold it's own versus most tier 5 DD's, and just be a pain in the neck against cruisers and BB's, It is a Carrier killer if it gets close. A great all around DD.

However, you can just take over a game if the torps are running well playing a Isokaze or a V-170. If the torps are not hitting, especially in the Isokaze, you are in for a long ( or very short) game. 

Izzy is a ball to play, it can roast anything you fire at, I've just never had a monster game in one. 

If I had one last ranked battle to play, I would take the Clemson.

Edited by acm123b
spelling

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

you can have fun with all of them, but I do have clemson in my port.  I did enjoy v170 due to its front firing torps.  izy is also pretty good with better range gun, but torps are weak.     

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,701 battles

I would have voted for Isokaze before the nerf. She was my favorite DD. Now she's just not worth the time.

Clemson is still great. Fast path of destruction.

Until I ran into some noob who decided to follow me and mirror my move, including launching torpedoes, from behind me...

Members
117 posts
6,924 battles

I have kept both the Izy and V-170 in port but like others have said they are all really nice boats. That being said the Izy is my favorite.

Edited by Slyv

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Izo use to be my seal-clubber, High Cals on a regular basis, then the nerf. Now it's more fun t just stay at T10 with Gearing, Khab, and Shima

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

I prefer Clemson. However, Clemson does need a somewhat well-trained captain perform at its best, since it has a relatively high detection range and a fairly low gun range. 

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,726 battles

The Clemson is undoubtedly the strongest in a bully sense, but for those with a more patient, stealthy, conventional play style... The V-170 is in my opinion, ALMOST equally as overpowered.

She is almost like a Kamikaze but at t4, with worse torps. Very similar play style.

I just had this game in her and I won't lie, I'm still buzzing.

O0mkYO0.jpg

Nevermind the 6 kills, or the TWO DOUBLE STRIKES...look at those defended ribbons. lol.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles
4 hours ago, SalvoSanta said:

I just had this game in her and I won't lie, I'm still buzzing.

O0mkYO0.jpg

Nevermind the 6 kills, or the TWO DOUBLE STRIKES...look at those defended ribbons. lol.

Your application to Seal Clubbers anonymous has been accepted........

Nice game

360 posts
194 battles

I'm a big fan of the Clemson, for a lot of the reasons discussed. But recently, I've found that the V-170 can be just as fun, especially using the forward firing torpedo in duels with other DDs.

Members
810 posts
7,099 battles

If there was ever such a thing as T-4 ranked Clemson would be a no-contest choice. Outside of that though I prefer the V-170. It's much more relaxing and casual low tier boat for me. IJN-like concealment and torp set but has guns that are much more useable. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

I play Clemson a lot. It's the best of the 2 for me. 170 was fine, but considering how well Clemson works for me I wasn't that interested in having another T4 clubbing machine.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
180 posts
4,256 battles

V-170 is perfect for torp-rushing BBs. Fire off the front torps about 5km out to force them into evasive action or get them to burn DC on flooding, then turn and fire your remaining torps 2km or closer to finish them off.

Beta Testers
3,585 posts
4,261 battles

The Clemson is the better ship for dealing with cruisers, and enemy carriers if you can get close enough to leverage the AP of the Clemson. But the Izyaslav is the superior with regards to rate of fire, fires per minute, range, and ridiculously thin profile from the front.

DPG, the Clemson wins. Overall K/D the Clemson will most likely win.

But for sheer waspy annoyance, the Izyaslav is one of the most fun ships I've played. She can get down to very low levels of detection, has much better gun range and rate of fire for similar damage - with higher chance of fire over the clemson. Battleships HATE my Izyaslav. And even Cruisers will have difficulty dealing with an Izy at near max range spamming them with HE in a way the Clemson only dreams of doing.

Her torpedoes are weak, but hell, torpedoes still do damage at least. And she has no AA....but who does at tier 4? Lastly, because of her higher rate of fire, she can easily overpower the Clemson in a gun fight. Better arcs, faster rate of fire.

Both are good, but one is a op boat, and the other is just a fun really-gud boat.

The other tier 4 DDs dont matter unless their captain is actually decent.

Edited by aether_tech