You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

28 comments in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

No really. Despite the fact that I have zero games in one I do like them. Some have a cool history (Langley) others had a glorious combat history (Big E) others make for an interesting "what if" (Zeppelin.)  I even like the looks of the RN ones. 

Yes, I've been taken out by one more times than I like to think about. Everybody and their little sister knows that the Arizona has terrible AA. Same with most DDs. 

But like it or not, they are part of history, and belong in a game with a historical bent, even if it is "arcade like." The game would be lessened if they were removed. So learn to deal with them. They are on the same map as you, NOT over the horizon. Wrangle your team into something like a task force, and  go get him if it bothers you that much. Make it priority one. 

Or just play the game. Last night I was in a game where our Lex was the first ship taken out. I have no idea why he "Leeroy Jenkins!!" up the middle of a map, but we were a ship down, and had no air cover the rest of the game. Guess what? We won. CVs are NOT repeat N O T   O. feaking P. At least in this game. 

I have no idea why they are hated so. It is to the point I want to play them just because I'm tired of all the flack they take. (pun intended) I'm about to unlock the Langley, for my "training wheels CV" then get either the Saipan, Kaga, or dare I say it, ZEPPELIN as soon as I give more blood. Hell, I'd buy the Big E right now if I had the bucks, knowing I couldn't play her till I "got gudder." 

I really think, as a community we need to cut them some slack, and if anything show them some love. I for one are glad they are here. 

As always, my two cents. 

P.S. Yeah, airdropping onions on BBs sounds like fun... :Smile_playing:

• Cool 5

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

I cut them slack when they bring fighters to a match.

• Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
779 posts
6,171 battles

When I get a match in which there are two T7 CVs on a side and I am in a T5 CL (with T5 AA, which is to say no AA), then I don't like CVs so much. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,025 posts
16,967 battles
16 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I cut them slack when they bring fighters to a match.

Help out teamates whenever possible? Certainly; still not a CVs job to babysit and coddle eleven other players for twenty minutes; especially at higher tiers, with lunatic levels of AA, Defensive Fire cruisers running around like roaches, catapult fighters everywhere, and rudder shifts that would just about put a PT boat to shame.

[CINA]
[CINA]
Members
29 posts
843 battles

Only been playing a little over a month now, and I love my CV's. Play mostly Japanese ships (was all Japanese until I ended up with two 10pt captains from Russia and Germany) and just today sold my Tier 4 Hosho to make room in port for the Tier 6 Ryujo. I still have the Tier 5 Zuiho, and so far my biggest fear is letting my team down while playing, as I am not that good yet. Especially now I have to learn strafing, and manual drops. Think I will stay at Tier 6 for quite some time. LOL

Members
1,603 posts
3,573 battles
4 minutes ago, Tinaka_Hiro said:

Only been playing a little over a month now, and I love my CV's. Play mostly Japanese ships (was all Japanese until I ended up with two 10pt captains from Russia and Germany) and just today sold my Tier 4 Hosho to make room in port for the Tier 6 Ryujo. I still have the Tier 5 Zuiho, and so far my biggest fear is letting my team down while playing, as I am not that good yet. Especially now I have to learn strafing, and manual drops. Think I will stay at Tier 6 for quite some time. LOL

Don't take guys like this seriously.  Some people just have a hard time adapting to changing game play and hate having to use actual brain power against CV's.  Welcome to the game and just enjoy what you want to play,  my friend.

• Cool 3

[AK]
Members
93 posts
7,529 battles

You know how boring battles would be without CV's? Cruisers would have nothing to do. :cap_haloween: It is a good thing the upper tier CVs get more squadrons of planes because with all the cruisers out there with AA fits, and even some BB's, planes drop like flies.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
1 minute ago, Nighteyez said:

You know how boring battles would be without CV's? Cruisers would have nothing to do. :cap_haloween: It is a good thing the upper tier CVs get more squadrons of planes because with all the cruisers out there with AA fits, and even some BB's, planes drop like flies.

im a cruiser main and I find plenty of things to do when there are no CVs.  I prefer games with no CVs.

Members
609 posts
7,242 battles

Lots of people hated Graf Z. But if you use it correctly, you may not know you can devastate one of the Tier 8 Turtle backs ( Amagi, and yes it was tested. ) with AP bombs or even the Tier 9 Izumo and not just the KM BBs ( such as Bismarck )
Just, dont use it on Tier 8-10 US BBs... 

Although Im kinda excited we get to test her next week, they announced they will give the players ( who owns Graf Z. ) a test/copy of the ship. Hopefully they buff the fighter planes or even bring back her TBs

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,263 battles

A good CV can carry a game. A bad one is just a wast of a ship slot.

Yes, you could say that about any class, but it's even more pronounced for CVs. At least a bad BB will soak damage, a bad Cruiser will take at least some of the enemies time to kill, and a bad DD will force somebody to react to it.

A bad CV is just...there.

But again, a good one, is more appreciated by me than any other ship.

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles
19 minutes ago, DJ_PON3_ZaNe said:

Lots of people hated Graf Z. But if you use it correctly, you may not know you can devastate one of the Tier 8 Turtle backs ( Amagi, and yes it was tested. ) with AP bombs or even the Tier 9 Izumo and not just the KM BBs ( such as Bismarck )
Just, dont use it on Tier 8-10 US BBs... 

Although Im kinda excited we get to test her next week, they announced they will give the players ( who owns Graf Z. ) a test/copy of the ship. Hopefully they buff the fighter planes or even bring back her TBs

Yeah, she needs a buff. I'm not sure about Me 109s as carrier planes anyway.. FW 190s would make more sense. But people don't like it when I talk about planes, LOL. 

Edit: Why am I looking at the World of Warplanes tech tree? Somebody stop me... 

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth

[NG-NL]
Members
4,949 posts
8,094 battles

Without CVs, DD stealth is imbalanced. Bbs can bow-in tank, and stealthy CAs have an easy time repositioning.

With or without them, far as I've seen from playing Zao/Hindenburg more frequently, players are so used to camping at high tiers that a CV's presence no longer makes a difference.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,364 posts
7,938 battles
55 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Yeah, she needs a buff. I'm not sure about Me 109s as carrier planes anyway.. FW 190s would make more sense. But people don't like it when I talk about planes, LOL. 

Edit: Why am I looking at the World of Warplanes tech tree? Somebody stop me... 

Thing is, to their credit, they went with historical aircraft, which falls in line with every other premium released in regards to accurate modules and all. And yeah, 109 is as much a fit as the Spitfire, it worked and could work, just not the best. Here's where the problem (as I see it because I did not have funds the one day it was for sale to get GZ) lies. Of the various CV's Germany designed and conversions started, GZ I would say has the best case for ONE, 1, UNO, EINS, TB squadron, but it doesn't need it. Drop the Stuka to tier 6 or 7 (where it actually belongs) and add planes to the reserve as well as to the squadrons so it has as many, if not more DB's per group, than USN, gearing it that if it stay DB's only, to excel as a DD hunter and cruiser annoy-er, which GZ and her guns were were built for close defense against ships like this and commerce raiding. The tight circle and additional bombs, possibly needing a slightly heavier one, mean more potential hits, more damage, more fire setting chance. BB's with their repair would just have to worry about being caught flat foot with a lot of fires burning, DD's would likely have the most to fear with it. The 109 T, which is really at it's core a 109E, is a 1938 vintage aircraft, a tier 6, that they gave tier 7 stats to, and put as a tier 8. They wanna argue it for 7, fine, give it tier 7 stats and make it tier 7 and again, increase the reserve, so that like Kaga and E, it can make use of a larger reserve, and the DFE skill to make up the power difference some what. Make it what USN AS should be, a defense/anti scout CV. That uses DoT to deal with a larger ship. Course it'd help if we had AA and all balanced. Thing is, HE DB's are underestimated. Case in point, I had a fairly fast match other day in Lex AS, where I dealt 66k damage with no detonations. Keep in mind, that is 66k, setting fires and what little alpha I get, with auto drops only, no manual. You give me that tighter circle like Saipan, Kaga, I'm not running into my issue missing DD's and score a few more hits, I can be as effective as Shokaku. The shipsthat would rely on DB's (USN, GZ/German CV) need to just have tighter drop circles with I'll say at least 6 planes per group or more, IJN and likely UK can have those larger circles as they will most likely be based around TB's meant to BB hunt.

They just make DB's on ships meant to rely on them more accurate with enough planes in the group, you don't need AP bombs.

And prophet is right, at this point, I try and make sure I got at least 1 fighter squadron. - But I have 1-3 fighter squadrons, to try and ward off and intercept planes that could attack any one of 12 ships, plus possibly enemy fighters tying them up, plus usually demands from the team to scout that can put 1 or more groups out of position and when the team is spread over the map, sometimes, it's too much ground to cover effectively. Yeah, I have fighters to help defend the fleet, and my own aircraft, keyword is help, like they say, not babysit and coddle the team. Especially when an AA build Cleveland against a Ranger (without the extra 5% hp it's planes can get) can get up to 80% chance per second to destroy USN TB's which have the most health of the tech tree ships at that tier above. Or the maxed out around 40% Colorado has vs a Ranger. Sticking near teammates, especially cruisers, is your best and most reliable defense against enemy planes, you run off on your own 4 grid squares from where my fighters are, sorry, not much I'm going to be able to do. 

The one thing I will disagree on though is OP status of CV's - they are not entirely un-OP. If a manual torpedo drop gets through, it's OP as hell. That comes from the mouth of a CV player that has used it in the past to basically go "lol, bye :cap_haloween::etc_red_button:" Even with stupid high turn rates that were given to ships, actually to help counter both DD torps and this mechanic dropping at point blank, and AA, that Wargaming staff in a Q and A earlier this year basically said every AA buff was to try and counter this mechanic, and is part of why it was removed, rightfully albeit poorly, from tier 4 and 5, though the bigger issue there is loss of strafe which is a separate issue. People wanna say "oh it requires skill" as a balance justification, but sorry, it's no different then the glitch in Modern Warfare to get under the map on overgrown or the 3 gun glitch on Der Riese, a bit of practice it's almost muscle memory and at this point most CV players that use it know how to counter the turn and they still eat 6+ torps. Even someone like me that lets their skills get rusty avoiding using it, the only real misfire I had using it, the torps resurfaced perfectly where I wanted on Kaga as a DD tried to smoke after running aground, problem is gunfire killed it as they dropped and I didn't realize a cruiser and DD that had been on the other side of the island instead of heading to the cap were trying to flank him and a torp hit the cruiser that was just in range. One out of the several I've been more liberal in using the last few days. Rest basically devastated what I hit. If we want real balance with CV's, it needs to go, or it's minimum range needs to be a lot closer to auto drop ranges.  

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

They could just leave the Zepps DB alone, and as a few have said, give her some TP... That being said, her AP bombs where pretty scary. :cap_wander_2:  I'd be the guy who would run out of planes, get mad, and charge in with the Zepps secondaries blazing.. :cap_rambo: Not the way to win, I know. 

Anyway, we all know CVs need a re-work, but Wargaming has to many things on its plate I.M.O. So for now I guess we need to be patient..yeah I know more wishful thinking... 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,509 battles

CVs of any nation have limited coverage and striking ability.

Generally they will cover the fleet, themselves and their strike element.

As a DD or any vessel that is weak AA, don't yolo off. As someone that dabbles in CVs you are target number one. Having 2-3 torpedo squadrons line a solo DD isn't hard, any manual dropping into smoke also flushes them nicely.

There is a reason why some ships have strong AA and CVs avoid them unless they have to.

[SIDE]
Members
713 posts
3,123 battles
On 9/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, Nighteyez said:

Just wanting to point out that most cruisers in this game does not have defensive AA any more, or have pretty mediocre AA scores. It wasn't like that when the game first game out. =p

[TBOW]
Members
1,173 posts
10,408 battles
9 hours ago, Merlox said:

Just wanting to point out that most cruisers in this game does not have defensive AA any more, or have pretty mediocre AA scores. It wasn't like that when the game first game out. =p

At the lower tiers I agree, but AA starts to show up at T6, and seems to get progressively stronger up the line.  They want to stop the camping change the strafe from plane to plane to plane to ship.  And do no make the AA guns able to have 100% survival rate with a Mod.   As the ship takes damage so should the AA.  That will stop camping because then these ships are more vulnerable to a CV attack. And at T9/T10 a CV wants to get you bad enough he will.  I have in my Missouri (95 AA rating) got a almost full load of torpedoes.

Members
210 posts
2,630 battles

Recently, I decided to play CVs for the sole reason of giving me experience with all 4 types, but I've found I like it so much, it's pretty much all I play these days!

Members
2,274 posts
7,301 battles

I dont really like to play CVs, its a RTS style, but if i want to play RTS ill go for Starcraft, AoE or Total War. 

But i do like them in game because they add some nice features. But they have two big problems. 

- One is the skill floor. The difference of skill often makes a very on sided matchup, and this is really bad fo the team with the bad player, its half way to a defeat from the start.

- The other is the MM. Having two tiers of difference between the CV and other ships is really bad. Like a T8 CV is unfair against a T6 ship (not called Clevland). A T8 CV vs a T10 ship is unfair for the  T8 CV.

IMO, the way the game works atm, CVs will never be "balanced", they are either too OP or too UP.

[SIDE]
Members
713 posts
3,123 battles
7 hours ago, gcangel82 said:

At the lower tiers I agree, but AA starts to show up at T6, and seems to get progressively stronger up the line.  They want to stop the camping change the strafe from plane to plane to plane to ship.  And do no make the AA guns able to have 100% survival rate with a Mod.   As the ship takes damage so should the AA.  That will stop camping because then these ships are more vulnerable to a CV attack. And at T9/T10 a CV wants to get you bad enough he will.  I have in my Missouri (95 AA rating) got a almost full load of torpedoes.

That's true. I guess the reason why I rarely see CVs being a big deal is that I mainly play as Tier 6 ships. (Perth, Ashnan, Warspite, Now nelson.) just due to my hatred of tier 10. games. lol But normally it's just Clevelands and Atlantas that CVs are scared. 

[TBOW]
Members
1,173 posts
10,408 battles
8 hours ago, Xlap said:

- One is the skill floor. The difference of skill often makes a very on sided matchup, and this is really bad fo the team with the bad player, its half way to a defeat from the start.

- The other is the MM. Having two tiers of difference between the CV and other ships is really bad. Like a T8 CV is unfair against a T6 ship (not called Clevland). A T8 CV vs a T10 ship is unfair for the  T8 CV.

IMO, the way the game works atm, CVs will never be "balanced", they are either too OP or too UP.

I agree the Skill Floor is high, also that the MM needs to be a + or - 1 for CVs to make it more balanced.