You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

Ok, I have the Kagero.
In about 7k EXP, I can drop my Free EXP and have a Yugumo.

I also have Harekaze, and I love me some Harekaze.
The catch is that the Harekaze is a slightly faster Kagero [stock hull] with much better guns in the form of American Carrier Catapults or those 100mm DPM machines. [I prefer those Midway guns myself :Smile_glasses:] (although slightly worse AA due to Harekaze not having some of the mounts that Kagero has... although lol@IJN DD AA)

The Kagero gets better torps when she gets mod 2s, and has better HP [on the required second hull], but the Yugumo gets both of those stock. MM wise, Kagero sees T10 Yugumo sees T10. 8 really isn't the best MM Tier.

Yugumo gets MUCH better torps in the form Mod 3s, [although that's only after getting past the F3s, a torp that I feel is a deathtrap (since I don't feel comfortable with anything that has less than "near 10km" range (Mod 3 with Accel fit that enough despite the .4 km loss)]

Sooo hmmm... Do I ride out the Kagero? Or do I jump it?

Edited by AirshipCanon

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Go ahead and ride it out, m8, especially seeing that, as soon as you unlock the Yugumo, you can just sell Kagero and still have a Kagero in your port, thus saving you credits. This goes double if you've already kitted out your "tree" Kagero with upgrade modules.

Edit: It also depends on if you've already got the two FXP ships currently in the game.

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,363 posts
5,025 battles

I kept mine. It is a great ship, though it isn't for everyone. Granted, if you have problems with Kagero's play style then Yugumo isn't going to be much better for you. I love them both.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
18 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

It also depends on if you've already got the two FXP ships currently in the game.

I haven't got either the Nelson or the Missouri, nor the intent to really bother with them. If I save my F.EXP, it's to boost somewhere down the Pan-Asia line if I feel like it might be worth it when they happen, or to get Shima.

5 minutes ago, AdmiralPiett said:

I kept mine. It is a great ship, though it isn't for everyone. Granted, if you have problems with Kagero's play style then Yugumo isn't going to be much better for you. I love them both.

My big consideration is that I already HAVE a premium Kagero that has better guns and is a Premium with Premium perks. It's like playing Kongo when I have the ARP Kongos, except more so since Harekaze is slightly faster and has better guns at the cost of lolAA and being stock hull only, and having more F.EXP earned and credits.

I love the ship, don't get me wrong. Harekaze is definitely my favorite ship, so by that logic, having Kagero should be a no brainer, but I'm like... why not just drop this F.Exp and get down the line?

Edited by AirshipCanon

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,363 posts
5,025 battles
5 minutes ago, AirshipCanon said:

My big consideration is that I already HAVE a premium Kagero that has better guns and is a Premium with Premium perks. It's like playing Kongo when I have the ARP Kongos, except more so since Harekaze is slightly faster and has better guns at the cost of lolAA and being stock hull only, and having more F.EXP earned and credits.

I love the ship, don't get me wrong. Harekaze is definitely my favorite ship, so by that logic, having Kagero should be a no brainer, but I'm like... why not just drop this F.Exp and get down the line?

Oops, yeah. I see that now. It is almost dinner time, so 90% of my brain power is dedicated to food at the moment.

Hmmmm. In that case I would personally skip the Kagero if you have nothing else to use that free exp on any time soon. If you are worried that Yugumo will be a pain to grind, it isn't. That ship is wonderful IMO. Probably better tier-for-tier than Kagero is. The only thing I'm saving free exp for in the high-tier IJN DD line is for dumping the stock Shimakaze torps ASAP.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

Grind out the Kagero and save your FXP for upgrading the modules on Yugumo as soon as you get it.

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

I personally kept my Kagero. Great little boat with troll 5.4km detection range.

I'd say play out the Kagero and keep your Free exp to get to the Type 93 mod. 3s and the Yuugumo B hull. Don't bother with the F3s, unless you like suicidal torp runs. Yuugumo is manageable with the stock torps, as they're the same as Kagero's upgraded ones, but that extra 2km in range can be a life saver since you're guaranteed to see radar ships at T9. (I tried grinding out the necessary exp to go straight to the mod. 3s, but couldn't stand still having 10km torps at T9 when radar was more prevelant, so I used some Free exp to jump to the mod. 3s and haven't looked back since. Screw F3s, I prefer the utility in the extra range via, it isn't as hindering if my target turns away after letting torps loose.)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,858 battles
1 hour ago, AirshipCanon said:

Do I ride out the Kagero? Or do I jump it?

I liked the old Kagero better than I like the new one, and I didn't like the old one much. Yugumo, however, is a very different story.

[CAST]
Members
1,160 posts
7,185 battles

I like my Kagero.  I am grinding through it, but don't find it to be a much of a grind.  Its quite enjoyable.  If you are in a hurry to grind up the line, or if you don't have anything to save the Free XP for, then skip it.  But if you are just skipping it for the sake of skipping a potentially poor ship, then it shouldn't be skipped, because it is a very good ship in the right hands.  If you are a stealth DD player, this ship will fit that bill and allow you to grind through it and enjoy the ride.  After all, that's why we play the game isn't it, to play and enjoy the various ships.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
207 posts
5,271 battles

I would ride it out.

The Kagero is not a bad IJN DD, but I love the Yugumo. Both the Kagero and the Yugumo have 2x4 torp launchers, so their use is similar.  I run the Kegero with torp acceleration and the Yagumo with smoke.  I like both to these ships more than the Shima. I run TAE captain skill on all three ships and TTM3 upgrade on the Yugumo and Shima. Set up this way I get a torp reload of 100  sec for the Kegero (5.4km detect), 87 sec for the Yugumo(5.5km detect), , and 117 sec for Shima(5.9km detect).

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles

They're birds of the same feather.  And Kagero isn't that much worse than Yugumo.  I'm not sure why you'd want to spend that much to free exp it.  Also t8 is the fastest grind imo.