You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
fourteenfour

Dynamic sights

5 comments in this topic

Members
457 posts

I was under the impression that the timing for this was set to 30 knots and fixed to 20 knots but at times it feels as if its relative to something else.  So is there mined information about how it truly scales?

Members
4,735 posts
5,464 battles

As far as I'm aware, the sight is calibrated for battleship sized targets going 30kts. The italicized part is important(the static sights work similarly just calibrated to 20kts), battleship sized targets are battleships, carriers, and most cruisers. Destroyers, and I imagine some light cruisers, are smaller and require a little more lead time than the indicated shell flight time.

iChase has a good explanation for the static crosshair here, where he goes over the difference between battleship sized targets and non-battleship sized targets:

In this video, Notser goes over the dynamic sight:

Edit: Speaking from personal experience, you also have to be aware of the shell characteristics of the ship you're currently in. For example, Cleveland will require greater lead times(seemingly regardless of ship size/speed) for targets further out, because the shell arcs are floaty. I imagine the opposite is somewhat true for ships that have 'railguns' i.e. ships with high velocity guns where the shell's velocity doesn't drop off massively out to max range.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

I tried the dynamic but I couldn't hit a thing so I personally stick to static.

[NSEW]
Members
413 posts
7,896 battles

A guide of Battleship speed of 30kts. Speed of ship actual, Speed of your shells, ships size, and your ping. I find that knowing the enemy ship speed is the single most decider on how to effectively hit. I could be wrong of course.

Members
7 posts
372 battles

tldr: Get Nomogram crosshair from Aslain's mod pack. Learn it. Then win.

The dynamic crosshair doesn't do what you think it does. When anyone says "the dynamic crosshair is scaled to 30 knots", they have not understood what the dynamic crosshair does. (Yes, that includes Notser at the time when that video was made. Sorry, Notser.)

The only thing that separates dynamic from static is that dynamic scales with zoom level. That is all - you can zoom freely and still have the same number of ticks for a given target at a given speed at a given distance. If you're always zoomed in max, it's just like a static crosshair.

These are the variables that are needed to hit a target moving at 90 degrees angle to you:
1. Speed of the target
2. Flight time of shells to aiming point
3. The distance to the target.

1 and 2 are self explanatory, but why do we need number 3?

Let's say you're standing on the docks, and a ship passes in front of you at 30 knots. You hold out your arm and use your thumb for measurement. It's pretty far away, so it takes 1 second for the bow of the ship to go from one side of your thumb until it shows on the other side of your thumb. The width of your thumb is your tick.

Now imagine instead of far out, the ship passes at 30 knots just in front of your thumb, so your thumb will almost be scraped. Will it still take 1 second for it to pass behind your thumb? Of course not! It will pass by in an instant.

Distance to the target matters, and neither static nor dynamic sights cares one iota about it. You're always using your thumb as one tick, regardless of how far away the ship is.

The best static and dynamic crosshairs can do is to say "the crosshair is scaled to 30 knots at X km distance to target". For any other distance, nearer or farther, you will have to compensate. Nearer targets will need more lead.

This is why Notser says to shoot destroyers using the force:

•  They are small, so precision is important
  •  They are fast, so much lead is needed
  •  They are often closer than other targets, so the error from the crosshair is proportionally bigger.

So, what is a poor captain to do? The solution is Aslain's mod pack, and the Nomogram crosshair.

The first time you get it loaded, you will go "wth!? This sight is all over the place! How can I ever use this piece of manure!?" You've just taken the red pill, and the impact of distance to target is washing over you. Watch how the scales change as distance to target changes. Whenever the scales feel crazy narrow or spread out, it means your old crosshair was way, way off.

You'll get used to the rescaling, and after a while you won't even notice it happening.

The crosshair has two scales:

• The bottom one with tighter ticks - one tick here is 20 knots at the distance of your target.
  • The top one with more space between ticks - one tick here is 30 knots at the distance of your target.

That 30 knot Kongo giving a nice, full broadside? If flight time is 2 seconds - 2 ticks on the top scale. If flight time is 5 seconds - 5 ticks. 10 seconds - 10 ticks. 20 seconds - 20 ticks.

If you like to shoot by counting rather than feeling, this is your sight. Learn it. Love it. Sink those pesky destroyers.

"But krfsm, what if there's an island in the way? Won't it throw the scales way off?"

No. As long as you have something targeted, the Nomogram sight uses the distance to your target for scaling, rather than the distance to the object you're pointing at. How that works is a topic for another post. Trust me, it just works.

The one problem is when you're shooting at one ship in a whole bunch, all at different distances. If you don't have your intended target locked, your sight will not show the correct ticks. (And other problems happen, too.) Always have correct target lock.

"But what about shell characteristics?"

That's taken care of by the alt interface's shell time to target. If it says 15 seconds to a 30 knot target, it is 15 ticks on the top scale. The reason Clevelands are harder to shoot with is because you get very long flight times, so errors in judging speed matters more. (Ships travel longer distances before shells impact.)

Somebody should do a video to explain this better.

• Cool 3