You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lonesome45

Minotaur and Overpenetrations

13 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
14 posts
8,098 battles

I was looking forward to getting the Minotaur and then I played it on the test server. Virtually every hit was an overpen. In one match I had 86 hits and every single one was an overpen for minimal damage. This is shooting at all ship types, including plenty of hits on BBs. It seems I only get citadels and overpens and not that may citadels. Is this typical for this ship or is there something I can do to get more than the minimal damage from overpenetrations?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles

With the short fuse of Minotaur's AP I call shenanigans on your claim of 'only overpens on every ship type'. Even on broadside destroyers you should get plenty of normalpens. Please provide a replay.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,323 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

With the short fuse of Minotaur's AP I call shenanigans on your claim of 'only overpens on every ship type'. Even on broadside destroyers you should get plenty of normalpens. Please provide a replay.

I second the call of shenanigans.  

When I played the Mino on my Corgi account the majority of my hits were pens. Out of Pens, bounces, shatters, and overpens... overpens were the smallest minority. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles

I don't know about any Irish shenanigans stuff, but Minotaur is a monster.

[STW-N]
Members
14 posts
8,098 battles
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, Lert said:

Well, you don't have to believe me, I guess. I did say it was on the test server, though I don't see why that would make a difference. I did not record it and the test period is over so I cannot retry. But I can't think of any reason someone would just make that up.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles
Just now, lonesome45 said:

But I can't think of any reason someone would just make that up.

Me neither. It simply does not correlate with my own experiences in the ship and the very idea behind, the purpose of the short fuse AP. Hence me asking for proof. Not to call you a liar or to claim you're making things up, but to see for myself and possibly help find an explanation.

Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,196 battles

Minotaur will get all full pens on basically anything- broadside DDs and up. If you're getting overpens either it's been nerfed on the PTS or you're hitting the far reaches of superstructure.

[SOTHS]
Members
6 posts
2,680 battles

I don't get over pens with the Minotaur on the test server.   At tier 10, it doesn't want to damage anything except destroyers.   The base range is poor, while the 16% range boost seems beneficial, but the slow muzzle velocity makes it hard to hit anything at range unless the target is stopped.  On tier cruisers can face palm the Minotaur and the Minotaur doesn't seem to generate the defensive damage to run  any off.  The torps are welcome but are a one trick pony.  In short I find many problems with the Minotaur not just over pen.  Didn't mean to steal your thread it just that the ship needs lots of love, preferably starting with adding he and fire damage to the shell type(s).   In my limited experience over pen is the least of the issues with the ship.  Your mileage may vary.

[SYN]
Members
14,363 posts
10,224 battles

only time I get overpens with RNCL is when I shoot at DD superstructures.

Beta Testers
1,357 posts

Strangely enough, last night my Mino was raining lead on an NC BB at 17km distance and I was scoring citadel hits on it. I don't understand how and even the NC was baffled by it. They were cute little ~800dmg citadel hits though but they added up haha.

Members
74 posts
17,392 battles
On 10/7/2017 at 5:27 PM, Skyfaller said:

Strangely enough, last night my Mino was raining lead on an NC BB at 17km distance and I was scoring citadel hits on it. I don't understand how and even the NC was baffled by it. They were cute little ~800dmg citadel hits though but they added up haha.

No way possible for a Minotaur to hit 800 damage on a citadel, considering a citadel from a Minotaur would be 3200 damage. Screenshots of these '~800 damage' citadels, or they didn't happen. 

On 10/6/2017 at 8:19 PM, CptJim said:

I don't get over pens with the Minotaur on the test server.   At tier 10, it doesn't want to damage anything except destroyers.   The base range is poor, while the 16% range boost seems beneficial, but the slow muzzle velocity makes it hard to hit anything at range unless the target is stopped.  On tier cruisers can face palm the Minotaur and the Minotaur doesn't seem to generate the defensive damage to run  any off.  The torps are welcome but are a one trick pony.  In short I find many problems with the Minotaur not just over pen.  Didn't mean to steal your thread it just that the ship needs lots of love, preferably starting with adding he and fire damage to the shell type(s).   In my limited experience over pen is the least of the issues with the ship.  Your mileage may vary.

The base range on Minotaur is the same as DM; hence, both ships are capable of being really stealthy to get in close to do their damage.

Same tier CAs can swat you aside like a fly. Then again, a CA should swat aside a CL with relative ease, in a straight up gunfight. This is why you have such nice, amazing, single shot torps.

The only buff the Minotaur really needs is a bit more side armor, if anything. No way does the Minotaur need HE; if they give Minotaur HE, it would literally be a Belfast at T10 with a heal and torps, minus radar (honestly, if Minotaur had HE, I would literally smoke camp in 1-2 spots the entire match, and Minotaur would become the worst cancer in the game).

Minotaur, as it sits right now, is relatively balanced. it defines what a glass cannon is and should be. It wrecks destroyers, does well against other Minotaurs, and has to pick its battles with anything packing bigger armor/guns. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,402 battles

Enemy Minotaur sunk my Bis last night, each continuously pew pews took 1000ish to 6500ish damages into my Bis regardless how much I WASD

So the Mino is very powerful if played right