Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

Warships You Never Heard Of

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,014
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles

During the war of 1812 the Great Lakes were a major battleground. Major battles along with many skirmishes were fought on Lake Erie and Lake Champlain with only minor skirmishes on Lake Ontario. For unknown reasons the war for Lake Ontario turned into an arms race to rival the battleship race of the early 20th century. A friend is doing some research for a what if Battle of Lake Ontario and the list is mind boggling and this is just built to being built and not the proposed ships which included a 130 gun five deck first rate SOL that would have been bigger than the Santisima Trinidad which fought at Trafalger that was proposed on the US side in response to the British 76 gun ships

Carronades were extremely powerful but short range cannon and were not counted in for the rating.

Some example of Ships of the Line and Frigates

British

St Lawwrence - 68 gun SOL, 32 - 68# carronades, 34 - 32# carronades, 34 - 32# cannon, 34 - 24# cannon

Wolf & Canada  - 76 gun SOL, 36 - 32# carronades, 76 - 24# cannon

 

4th rate frigates

Psyche - 28 - 32# carronades, 28 - 24# cannon

Princess Charlotte - 2 - 68# carronades, 16 - 32# carronades, 24 - 24# cannon

Plrince Regent 4 - 68# carronades, 24 - 32# carronades, 28 - 24# cannon

 

US

 

New Orleans 63 gunSOL 24 - 32# carronades, 63 - 32# cannon

Chippewa 63 gun SOL 24 - 32# carronades, 63 - 32# cannon

4th rate frigates

Mohawk 16 - 32# carronades, 26 - 24# cannon

Superior 26 - 42# carronades, 30 - 32# cannon

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I have heard of the term carronade, and the term cannonade. Though was not aware of this info. Good post! :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,014
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles
8 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I have heard of the term carronade, and the term cannonade. Though was not aware of this info. Good post! :Smile_great:

 

Basically a carronade was a very short barreled cannon that could fire a much larger ball than a cannon but at a much shorter range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

 

Basically a carronade was a very short barreled cannon that could fire a much larger ball than a cannon but at a much shorter range.

So, for a long and short of it. Normal broadside cannons are the pellet shotguns, and carronade's are the shotgun slugs, so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,014
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

So, for a long and short of it. Normal broadside cannons are the pellet shotguns, and carronade's are the shotgun slugs, so to speak.

 

More like the reverse but yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
13 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

 

More like the reverse but yes.

Er. Yeah. Now that I give it a second thought my analogy was off. Don't even know why I put an anology to it...I understand it just fine...:cap_hmm:

 

I dunno. I'm weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,014
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles
9 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Er. Yeah. Now that I give it a second thought my analogy was off. Don't even know why I put an anology to it...I understand it just fine...:cap_hmm:

 

I dunno. I'm weird.

A much better analogy is cannons were muskets while cannoades were sawed off shotguns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,099 battles

Found this on a search for carronade.  Wow.  For the time period, that would be pretty brutal.  68 pounder. ...

 

B

 

 

220px-68carronade.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
[TASH]
Members
4,988 posts
7,872 battles

While we're on the subject of Great Lakes warships...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sable_(IX-81)

I believe these two are the only freshwater carriers ever built, and the only paddle-wheeled carriers in the world.  They didn't have defensive armament, so they're technically not CVs or even CVEs.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,014
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles
1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

While we're on the subject of Great Lakes warships...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sable_(IX-81)

I believe these two are the only freshwater carriers ever built, and the only paddle-wheeled carriers in the world.  They didn't have defensive armament, so they're technically not CVs or even CVEs.

They didn't even have hangers but they were a brilliant way to safely train both pilots and the deck crews for CV's. Some years ago the local news had a pilot from one of the taffy's although he wasn't with Taffy 3. He reminisced about a CV pilot that had just transferred onto the Jeep carrier he was stationed on complaining about landing on them and he told him I landed on the Wolverine, this is nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×