Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SniperAurora

Does the aiming system mod on the Des Moines really help?

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
[SFOR]
Beta Testers
107 posts
8,011 battles
1 minute ago, Pulicat said:

Afaik everything else in that slot is garbage compared to it. 

Yeah just thought the aa range mod would help the team but I'm not much of a teamplayer so...lol thx anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,509
[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
Just now, ProteinBar69 said:

Yeah just thought the aa range mod would help the team but I'm not much of a teamplayer so...lol thx anyway

Look at it this way. You may see a cv at best 1 out of 5 games average. So using the aa mod will get its value used 20% of your games while the aim mod gives 100% of your games. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[SFOR]
Beta Testers
107 posts
8,011 battles
Just now, Pulicat said:

Look at it this way. You may see a cv at best 1 out of 5 games average. So using the aa mod will get its value used 20% of your games while the aim mod gives 100% of your games. 

10/10:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,392 battles

Its easier to know how to aim so you won't need the aiming system mod.  Then you can run AA range to swat down those pesky fighter/spotter planes with ease.  Also helps using the ROF mod so you spew shells every 4.5 seconds.  Easy to hit stuff when you saturate an area with shells.  Plus divisioning with a cv to become a 7.2km no fly zone is always fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,440
[5BS]
Members
4,539 posts

I took it less because I needed it, and more because, as other mentioned, the others are crap and the boost to secondary range helps with DD hunting a little. Least useless probably is the single best explanation for a 'preference' for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,179 posts
5,973 battles

Cruisers are already accurate enough to the point where it's not that big of a deal compared to literally sniping planes out of the sky the moment you are detected by planes. 

 

It's the most valuable mod IMO for the Des Moines in that slot. Carriers are uncommon but creating a no fly zone as wide as the detection radius of the ship by air is incredibly helpful to your team. I'll take the 10m dispersion loss at max range for that all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,799
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

I could go with the aiming mod, but for craps and giggles I went all out for AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,183
[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
45 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Its easier to know how to aim so you won't need the aiming system mod.

 

Aiming system mod is more valuable the better your aim is.

 

It's people who don't know how to aim that benefit from bad dispersion shotguns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,392 battles
22 hours ago, issm said:

 

Aiming system mod is more valuable the better your aim is.

 

It's people who don't know how to aim that benefit from bad dispersion shotguns.

I find more value out of my des moines by running full AA build since I generally division with a CV and DD.  I don't need the aiming system cause I have no issue landing shells on target

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,084
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,695 posts
10,037 battles

I run the AA range mod, just for the odd occasion of downing a carrier strike - and the slightly more common one of downing catapult fighters spotting me over an island, your AA range gets pretty close to your air spot if you do.

All T10 cruisers have 2.05 sigma, no matter what the dispersion your shells 'roll' very low dispersion more than any ship other than Yamato. Reducing the dispersion by 7% is pretty slight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,183
[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
1 hour ago, Icecaptain said:

I find more value out of my des moines by running full AA build since I generally division with a CV and DD.  I don't need the aiming system cause I have no issue landing shells on target

 

Yeah, but that' not what you previously said.

 

What you said, and what I posted in response to, was that learning to aim negated the need for a dispersion buff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
561 posts
3,460 battles

I use the AA mod because it, combined with AFT gives you're med and large caliber AA the range of 7.2 km. Which is very close to your spotting by air distance. Which makes it hard for CVs or float planes to keep you or your allies around you spotted.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
240
[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,494 battles
17 hours ago, Stonehammers said:

I use the AA mod because it, combined with AFT gives you're med and large caliber AA the range of 7.2 km. Which is very close to your spotting by air distance. Which makes it hard for CVs or float planes to keep you or your allies around you spotted.

^This. It makes it a lot easier to keep allied BBs under your air envelope. Its over 14km across. That's a lot of real estate.  When your AA opens up at 7km most of them will go away (the mod is doing its job), but if there are several BBs in that envelope, they either have to risk it or stay away. If it scatters the torpedoes or shoots down a plane or two, or even just makes the planes go away every few games its still useful. Main battery dispersion is already tight. I'm not sure 7% tighter than tight is really doing as much as increasing the shield of protection I can offer against bombers. I don't think tightening the dispersion is a bad choice at all, but I think the AA mod is much more decisive and provides more team benefit overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[DRACS]
Members
3,360 posts

I'd stick with the AA mod, personally, even if you don't see many planes. The aiming system mod on a ship with a 2.15 sigma (I believe) and very tight dispersion is really not needed. Her shells are already pinpoint precise, and someone with a good aim can rack up huge damage numbers on DM. The 7% change doesn't affect sigma. Only max dispersion. On the other hand, your AA is devastating and increasing that can really help your team. And you.

 

Also note that even if there are no carriers in play, there will still be plenty of cruiser/battleship launched spotters. Shooting them down robs them of their eyes.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,799
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
42 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I'd stick with the AA mod, personally, even if you don't see many planes. The aiming system mod on a ship with a 2.15 sigma (I believe) and very tight dispersion is really not needed. Her shells are already pinpoint precise, and someone with a good aim can rack up huge damage numbers on DM. The 7% change doesn't affect sigma. Only max dispersion. On the other hand, your AA is devastating and increasing that can really help your team. And you.

 

Also note that even if there are no carriers in play, there will still be plenty of cruiser/battleship launched spotters. Shooting them down robs them of their eyes.

And at max range, you're only really going to hit a big battleship. And that's if he's brain dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[DRACS]
Members
3,360 posts
13 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

And at max range, you're only really going to hit a big battleship. And that's if he's brain dead.

 

The 7% tighter dispersion isn't going to help that. At all. That's due to the floaty shells not being able to reliably hit a small moving target at that range unless they are sailing in a straight line for the over 10 or 15 seconds it takes for the shells to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

For ships that have powerful AA such as the Des Moines and Cleveland, I'd go with the extended AA range. Des Moines shoots so fast anyway that dispersion doesn't really matter that much unless you're trying to hit a wiggling DD. Ships that have naturally awful AA like the Atago, Budyonny, Mogami, Charles Martel, etc. will benefit more from the slightly better dispersion than with the extended AA range.

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×