You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beatty_10

What's Up With Notser?

57 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,518 posts
11,957 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

WG seems far to interested in pumping out premiums, and avoiding addressing some of the basic issues with the game.

This.  When they are trying to pass off an Arethusa class trade protection cruiser as a tier 6, you know they are just trying to grab cash.

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

Looking at some of the comments on his videos, I can understand why he's getting more and more frustrated. Hate speech completely unrelated to content, people disagreeing without any real arguments to back their opinion, people flat out insulting him or his content........ I understand people may not agree with Notser, but some don't understand the basic concept of respect. And he's really not happy with the direction the game is taking, and you can feel that as well. 

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
4,161 posts

In both videos Notser just sounds tired of seeing certain things that are not balanced, even though they are pretty obvious and have seemed to be that way for a while?

Seems that he's not far off the frustration levels that caused iChase to make the mistake he made by letting his emotions get to him and saying exactly how he felt; rather than stating how bad he thought things had got....in a nice way.

I don't know what requirements WG request of CCs or the workload they expect, but maybe a break taken by CCs every once in a while (like a leave request) may be needed just so the CCs don't burn out. With all that the CCs do for the community I don't think this would be a big ask. :Smile_honoring:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,372 battles

I don't pay attention to things like subscriber numbers, but it could be that part of what is happening is that Notser is reaching the point where he has enough viewership that his next main challenge is to learn to deal with the doooosh bags who are so prevalent online. I seem to remember part of what he said in both of his uploads today involved really trolly commentators on his channel/stream.

[CCF]
Members
723 posts
5,369 battles

l guess l was not the only one who just received the wows survey??? Of course you all took the time right cough cough....

In there l told them what l have been championing for a long time now.

ITS the human element of this game that makes or breaks it.

The rank and file can sail, shoot, and when it comes to the brainier side of the game not so much or just NOT.

So the side effect for most myself included is frustration with the lack of abilities or even basic understanding of how to play the game.

Lack of ....WASD, positioning, capping, sitaware, focusing fire, yolo, camping, any shred of strategy, basically these are all symptoms of player base that does not know how to really play beyond bare basics.

How many have the ships properly upgrades or set up? Or the same for their capts? l still see commonly see misuse of ammo selections or torps fired way out of parameters

This leads me to burn out and l have taken more than a few breaks or just slacked way off in my interest. l suspect thats fairly prevalent amongst those of us who frequent the forum.

So what did l say in the survey...fix totally revamp tutorial for the low tiers and training system and actually make something that produces players able to play beyond sail n shoot. They will understand the more advanced side to the game and we all benefit.

Incentivise it, structure it, delay progress from low tiers till they get immersed in the strategy side as well, etc.

Thats the nuts and bolts of it...

[SALVO]
Members
17,978 posts
18,611 battles
10 minutes ago, Furysghost said:

l guess l was not the only one who just received the wows survey??? Of course you all took the time right cough cough....

In there l told them what l have been championing for a long time now.

ITS the human element of this game that makes or breaks it.

The rank and file can sail, shoot, and when it comes to the brainier side of the game not so much or just NOT.

So the side effect for most myself included is frustration with the lack of abilities or even basic understanding of how to play the game.

Lack of ....WASD, positioning, capping, sitaware, focusing fire, yolo, camping, any shred of strategy, basically these are all symptoms of player base that does not know how to really play beyond bare basics.

How many have the ships properly upgrades or set up? Or the same for their capts? l still see commonly see misuse of ammo selections or torps fired way out of parameters

This leads me to burn out and l have taken more than a few breaks or just slacked way off in my interest. l suspect thats fairly prevalent amongst those of us who frequent the forum.

So what did l say in the survey...fix totally revamp tutorial for the low tiers and training system and actually make something that produces players able to play beyond sail n shoot. They will understand the more advanced side to the game and we all benefit.

Incentivise it, structure it, delay progress from low tiers till they get immersed in the strategy side as well, etc.

Thats the nuts and bolts of it...

Fury, I'm not sure that there's a thing you can do to force people to not be stupid or ignorant about how to play their ships intelligently or how to set them or their captains up intelligently.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
3,801 posts
16,264 battles
1 hour ago, Pata1985 said:

looking for attention only IMO.

I read this in your voice.

Members
2,720 posts
2,845 battles
3 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

He's right in that battleships have received excessive pampering in recent patches.  The fire chance of RN battleships is just the latest in a series of examples.  There is absolutely no reason why any battleship should enjoy a +40% chance of setting fires, far in excess of any cruiser - ironically the very class of ship that inexperienced/clueless battleship players endlessly complained about in that regard.  If the devs even bother playing the game at all (as in playing to play and not testing out specific things) they probably play just battleships most of the time, and probably not that well.

Truly an outrage. This was something Dunkerque could only enjoy. WG, I will forgive you if you bump Dunkerque's fire chance to 70%. :cap_tea:

Members
2,639 posts
5,353 battles

It's also hard to compete with other CC's for viewership when they all pretty much say the same thing. They need to get more creative with the topics they release. You can only talk so much about a ship build or new mechanic before it becomes a redundancy. At this point, it's just a bunch of echoing voices.

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
Just now, Volga1987 said:

Can someone explain to me why we should care about him, at all?

You obviously care enough to comment in a topic about him. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,978 posts
18,611 battles
58 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

It's also hard to compete with other CC's for viewership when they all pretty much say the same thing. They need to get more creative with the topics they release. You can only talk so much about a ship build or new mechanic before it becomes a redundancy. At this point, it's just a bunch of echoing voices.

This is where Jingles stands a bit apart from other WoT and WoWS youtubers, at least for me.  With Jingles, it's not just about builds and mechanics and so on.  He tries to entertain people as well, which is a big reason I enjoy him so much.

On the flip side, one youtuber I don't particularly enjoy at all is panzerknacker.  He never seems to say a single word in his replays.  They're soooo damned boring to watch, IMO.  Honestly, any schmuck with the right software can repost people's WoT or WoWS replays.  What makes people entertaining to watch is the commentaries on those replays.  I love whenever some player gets citadelled, Jingles says something along the lines of "... and that's a paddling!"  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles
4 hours ago, m373x said:

Flamu tilted him too hard with the "IFHE explained" guide and he still hasn't recovered. Getting your ego rekt can be devastating.

I agree that Flamu hit him hard.  On the other hand, Notser sets himself up for it.  Watching his videos he often talks confidently and authoritatively about things, but sometimes what he's saying isn't correct and if you're familiar with what he's talking about it's clear he's BSing.   Basically he looks at things and guesses how they should work or something he thinks is rational and then says that.  I really noticed this when he was talking about his computer builds, because it's an area I know very well.  That rig he built to stream with is overly complicated for what he wants to do and it's clear he doesn't fully understand why he was having problems for months.

The other issue is that from his point of view, a lot of things revolve around him.  Wargaming changed German DDs at the last second?  Notser says it's his fault for informing people wrong with the pre-release footage.  Wargaming dropped the Graf Zepplin unexpectedly?  Notser says it's his fault people are going to buy the ship based on his old videos.  (Not enough of his fault to take actually take the old video down and lose out on the revenue from it, but his fault none the less).  Same thing with Arizona and stealth-sigma changes.  It's his fault people are buying a ship that's different from his preview videos.

In reality those changes are outside of his control and not his fault at all.  But it's a symptom of how he views himself.  It also comes across when's talking about his streams.  People are out to get him because he's so good.  He's at an elite level that can pull off things most people can't.  (He's good, but it's not good to toot your own horn).

That self-centric view can inflate an ego and make someone feel good, but it also puts an enormous amount of pressure on the person.  It's not healthy and it also attracts people who'd like to take them down a notch.  Humility's an under rated quality for people in the public spot light.  Notser could use some.

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,518 posts
11,957 battles
47 minutes ago, Anumati said:

Turns out WG repeatedly making mistakes has an effect on people who love/loved the game.

True words

• Cool 1

Members
136 posts
1,932 battles

I like Notser when he is being objective.  Sure sometimes he gets things wrong but it's also good to get different points of view of other CC's.

He does seem to be suffering from frustrations with WG's business decisions, pressure to produce content by the CC program and good old fashion burnout currently though.  In my opinion, where he is going wrong is losing his "Notser vibe", objectivity and regularly attacking the people who play the game and his viewers instead of the game itself.  I have to admit I don't like his personal attacks and stereotyping of a segment of his viewer base, pretty unprofessional really and something I would not expect from someone who does this as a business.

On one side I agree with many of the issues he presents but I don't like his attitude of late either.  I hope things get better for him soon.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

[CAFE]
Members
1,424 posts
11,186 battles

When people speak on a topic with authority, the expectation is they understand what they are talking about. However, I do not think it is right for the Flamu followers to harass him on a constant basis. 

My my only personal gripe about Notser was when he called me a cheater and aimbotter on stream (was real nice seeing that clipped on our clan chat). He went on and on all match about me cheating... Just because someone out played you does not make them a cheater. 

Edited by FratStar4Life
  • Cool 1

[CCF]
Members
723 posts
5,369 battles
6 hours ago, Crucis said:

Fury, I'm not sure that there's a thing you can do to force people to not be stupid or ignorant about how to play their ships intelligently or how to set them or their captains up intelligently.

Yes thats a good point thats why l stress incentives and step by step structure to make them WANT to improve thru fun and rewards.

Trying to force them into anything will fail with the vast majority l agree. Way moar cookies and lot less stick LOL.

[TLOD]
Members
263 posts
8 hours ago, Aduial said:

You obviously care enough to comment in a topic about him. 

More curious to why there is a topic about someones bad mood, thats why i commented, not because i care about this guy. And now i care enought to explain it to you, still dont care about this guy.

[4HIM]
Members
2,001 posts
5,037 battles
14 hours ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Not to mention Notser lives in the Houston area. Real life stress does happen, it's not all fun and games

Yep.  If he's in Houston I'm sure he's tired.  So many people are spending their previously free time helping others in flood damage remediation.  Everyone is tired.  I didn't flood, but my folks had some of their stuff (though not their home) flooded.  Plus some friends we went to help.  Then I volunteered with our local church to do recovery work.  This was a lot easier during Ike when I was 9 years younger.  But almost everyone I know is dragging right now. 

Once this calms down I should probably look him up and buy the dude a drink.