You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beatty_10

What's Up With Notser?

57 comments in this topic

[RIBIT]
Members
261 posts
4,246 battles

Notser posted a video on Youtube today titled, What is up with me, in which he vents some frustrations with the game and related issues. His earlier post today, Cleveland stil rocks, is dripping with sarcasm and frustration, too. He didn't sound like himself  

I enjoy and appreciate Notser and have learned a ton from watching him. But I get a sense he's burning out. It sounds to me like her needs to take a long break from Warships to recharge the batteries, maybe develop an outsiders perspective on things. Do something else for a while, 

I know not everyone is a fan of his. But I would hate to see us lose his valuable contributions to the game.

Any thoughts? 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles

Burn out is a real danger, especially for people who do a lot of test work (not just Community Contributors but Supertesters too).  We've been very busy this summer, putting a lot of time into evaluating ships as they've come out.  Testing can be a lot of fun, but it can also be very taxing when something isn't fun to play (*cough* Graf Zeppelin, *cough* Kii *cough cough!*)  Add onto this the pressures of producing content to a schedule and you can quickly see how this can wear down on someone. 

• Cool 5

Members
471 posts
1,992 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Burn out is a real danger, especially for people who do a lot of test work (not just Community Contributors but Supertesters too).  We've been very busy this summer, putting a lot of time into evaluating ships as they've come out.  Testing can be a lot of fun, but it can also be very taxing when something isn't fun to play (*cough* Graf Zeppelin, *cough* Kii *cough cough!*)  Add onto this the pressures of producing content to a schedule and you can quickly see how this can wear down on someone. 

So by that statement I would gather that the Kii is possibly gonna be a mehboat?

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Over the past few months Noster has seemed more and more despondent.  Watch any of his videos from last year and he's always cheerful and upbeat.  He's not like that any more.

He's right in that battleships have received excessive pampering in recent patches.  The fire chance of RN battleships is just the latest in a series of examples.  There is absolutely no reason why any battleship should enjoy a +40% chance of setting fires, far in excess of any cruiser - ironically the very class of ship that inexperienced/clueless battleship players endlessly complained about in that regard.  If the devs even bother playing the game at all (as in playing to play and not testing out specific things) they probably play just battleships most of the time, and probably not that well.

That Cleveland video - his frustration with that Schors players is understandable.  Seriously, why would you take a ship - especially one as vulnerable as the Schors - and just drive directly into a gaggle of red ships at the start of the match like that?  Why even bother playing?  "I play for fun!"  Right...  You see this kind of mindlessness in matches all the time.  If someone is interested enough in a game to download it and play it, and grind to a Tier VII cruiser, you would think they would have enough sense to know what works best for a boat and what doesn't, and get more "fun" out of it.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 3

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
7 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

So by that statement I would gather that the Kii is possibly gonna be a mehboat?

We'll have to see.  Ships change a lot during testing.  Keep in mind, the difference between something being fun to play and being miserable to play can be the difference of a few degrees per second on turret rotation speeds.  Sometimes all it takes is some very small changes to make a ship into a winner.  Kii is still in early development, so anything can and will change.

• Cool 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,459 posts
6,631 battles

I don't follow or watch much (if any) of the community content published on Youtube, but there is a huge amount of it, by talented individuals who obviously devote silly amounts of energy and thought to some very professional looking productions. Hats off to them. (But no surprise if some do find it all too much). 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
25 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Kii already has been improved from her original preview videos. Her guns now turn faster and reload faster, and she has a bit more range now.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles

Like any relationship, there are going to be rough patches. Sometimes the other party grows in a direction that is just not compatible with our needs and expectations. Could be a little of that. But Notser has a real life, too. And that might have a bearing on what seems a bit of a harsh edge to some of his recent work.

Either way, I appreciate his longstanding efforts on our behalf and wish him nothing but the best, whether that means him soldiering on, taking a break, or stepping away entirely. Though I selfishly hope that he will be able to find a renewed love for the game that can overpower what seems to be some unhappiness about recent changes and/or feedback from subscribers.

Though the chance is slight, if you read this Notser, know that many of us respect what you do and understand that any form of social media, including Youtube, subjects you to the pressure of more or less constantly bombardment from people looking for something to criticize and/or complain about, regardless of what you do or how well you do it. Do what you can to enjoy what you do, brother. Whatever that is. Even if that means doing it differently or not doing it at all. Life is short.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
25 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Not to mention Notser lives in the Houston area. Real life stress does happen, it's not all fun and games

True, but Notser has been downbeat months before any hurricane hit.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles
17 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

We'll have to see.  Ships change a lot during testing.  Keep in mind, the difference between something being fun to play and being miserable to play can be the difference of a few degrees per second on turret rotation speeds.  Sometimes all it takes is some very small changes to make a ship into a winner.  Kii is still in early development, so anything can and will change.

All of this. Sometimes glad login issues got me kicked from ST, I know GZ it's well documented my opinions on what they were doing without being in that group, had I been testing I'd likely have been crawling up the walls foaming at the mouth. Albeit had it not been pulled from sale in 24 hours I'd have bought one to see what exactly needed to change and pose actual feedback because well, I'm enough of a masochist to still bang my head on a wall playing CV's in their current broken state, what's one more.

And yeah, I recall some of the boats getting tested being pretty different than what we got, Hell, even between Alpha and Beta some ships/lines had huge swings. Let alone minor tweaks that improve a ship sometimes. Pensacola is a good example.

Though add that, and the fact anytime they are on live server for what is basically end stages of testing usually, they go in battle, every red goes ":cap_wander: new ship DESTROY IT" and focuses it down, can also make things frustrating. I remember testing Tirpitz on live and first match 2 Yammy's, an Iowa, and 3 cruisers all launched salvo's at me even though 3 other more threatening BB's were closer and actually shooting at them. Suffice to say it did not end well.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Yeah, i came close to posting those today, but some peeps seem to have issues with Tubers on a personal note instead of the information they give.

[RIBIT]
Members
261 posts
4,246 battles
Just now, Wulfgarn said:

Yeah, i came close to posting those today, but some peeps seem to have issues with Tubers on a personal note instead of the information they give.

Saw that too, Wulfgarn. Gave me pause.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,090 battles

its funny he says the exact same as flamu all the time about different class balance, but he seems to have a dedicated troll posse that only berates him.

Members
2,274 posts
7,311 battles

He probably needs a break. I love this game but sometimes i need a break. I imagine a guy that spent most of his day playing or making content about the same thing. It must be boring.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,464 battles

Flamu tilted him too hard with the "IFHE explained" guide and he still hasn't recovered. Getting your ego rekt can be devastating.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts
6 minutes ago, awildpervert said:

its funny he says the exact same as flamu all the time about different class balance, but he seems to have a dedicated troll posse that only berates him.

Unfortunately that kind of goes with the territory

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,459 posts
6,631 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Unfortunately that kind of goes with the territory

Just because something is inevitable, doesn't make it right (if such a thing really is happening, is it?)

[KNTAI]
Members
3,125 posts
7,509 battles
45 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Over the past few months Noster has seemed more and more despondent.  Watch any of his videos from last year and he's always cheerful and upbeat.  He's not like that any more.

He's right in that battleships have received excessive pampering in recent patches.  The fire chance of RN battleships is just the latest in a series of examples.  There is absolutely no reason why any battleship should enjoy a +40% chance of setting fires, far in excess of any cruiser - ironically the very class of ship that inexperienced/clueless battleship players endlessly complained about in that regard.  If the devs even bother playing the game at all (as in playing to play and not testing out specific things) they probably play just battleships most of the time, and probably not that well.

TBH, I agree with RN BB's needing some tweaks. I'd prefer they get more reliable AP (higher pens ) values, and that they get raised citadels (Not Yamato levels, but at least NC levels).

Anyway, as for Notser being more edgy... Dunno. Maybe he'd like to take a break or something. As people have said, you do get burnt up on thins from time to time.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I enjoy and have learned much from Notser's videos, and there are some good points made in the video.  From the video it sounds like Notser has been focusing on WoWS heavily for some time, and losing interest in something over time is very human.  For most of us shifting from one focus to another can be easier, but for those who are reaching to be or, are already part, of some public status it's more difficult to make a shift.  I think Notser has very solid skills in communication and media, so if they were to turn to other subjects, I think it will be entertaining and educational. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

It's been said that being a part of the program means WG kinda expects you to do two vids a week.

Jingles made mention that he felt much better after leaving and he could see a positive change in Chase since he declined to come back.

I posted a comment this morning on the first vid posted giving support, but also to remind him about creating new content.  He's wanted to do that since that WOT Tuber issue not long ago.

Overall i think it's the frustration about the number of vids for WOWS, haters that are just plain A**holes, worry over WGs shenanigans towards Tubers, and figuring out the next step with other content. I bet a good many haters frequent this forum. The elitists that judge and correct you if you're one decimal point off and rake you over the coals for it.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts

6 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Just because something is inevitable, doesn't make it right (if such a thing really is happening, is it?)

It doesn't make it right but you have to learn to deal with it. I am a writer and have been published, and you get some awfully nice stuff from fans, but there is also is an element which is just hateful. No matter what you do, some people  will just tear you down.  It may not be right, but it's also not going away. 

It's absolutely a thing, people take cheap shots at celebrities

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,090 battles
12 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

It doesn't make it right but you have to learn to deal with it. I am a writer and have been published, and you get some awfully nice stuff from fans, but there is also is an element which is just hateful. No matter what you do, some people  will just tear you down.  It may not be right, but it's also not going away. 

It's absolutely a thing, people take cheap shots at celebrities

hey anon whats your pin name if you dont mind..just curious probably shouldve pm it.

Edited by awildpervert

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles

He sounds burned out and frustrated.  I feel his pain, and as a contributor, potentially relying on this for income, he can't escape it.  He can't just play something else when the people who make him money, watch for this game.  You can feel trapped.  That was a major contributing factor to me leaving Supertest.  There was so much content that needed to be tested, I didn't have much time to play my own ships.  There were DE BB's, RN CL's IJN DD's back to back to back, plus several premium ships, and none of you can know the pain of the RN CL testing.  Change after change after change.  Frustration with the game balance, frustration with the direction of the game, it all builds up.  For me, I knew I needed to step back.  I had to choose between playing my own account with a RL buddy, or ST.  ST had to get cut.  Notser can't really step back; it IS his job.

Members
9,862 posts

Perhaps he simply sees the direction WG is heading, and doesn't like the outcome?:cap_hmm:

WG seems far to interested in pumping out premiums, and avoiding addressing some of the basic issues with the game. OP CV's seem to be the game of the week now.

Heavy advertisements for the last 2 months have barely kept numbers level, which means we continue to bleed players. 

The change in various rewards from last year to this one is head scratching. Are they really struggling so much that they want people to buy camo at 20 cents a pop or more?:Smile_amazed: