Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is the KGV worth it? Is it a keeper?

69 comments in this topic

[VW]
Members
2,133 posts
13,163 battles

I think she’s great. Prints arsonist. Definitely not a brawler, best played long to mid range where you can start fires, disappear, wait for fires to die, relight, repeat. In a brawl i find she is too squishy and the ap is wierd because of the fuses. For me the forward facing rurrets is an asset because you present a smaller target while still posing a threat. You can use terrain to guard your flank and punish whoever shows up.

Edited by monpetitloup

[WOLF9]
Members
1,234 posts
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

It's the ship I'm looking forward to. So far I've been having a good time in the Orion, those HE shells are amazing. I wonder if the KGV is a keeper, whether it's worth it. I've heard mixed opinions on it, some seem to be enjoying her while others can't do crap with it.

A little about my playstyle:

-Close to medium range, tends to get into brawls. (7-15 km)

-Prefer to push and be aggressive, but can kite away when necessary.

-I like setting fires and dealing fire damage, but pound broadside cruisers and battleships with AP.

-Overall, average to slightly above average player.

Does KGV have decent maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy? Secondaries?

NO

[EGO]
Members
73 posts
8,816 battles

I can confirm that the KGV has no carry potential whatsoever.  None at all.

Spoiler

shot-18_09.17_23_23.20-0216.thumb.jpg.ddf25c3bf50fbd65c9871548d6649cd8.jpg

shot-18_09.17_23_23.21-0769.thumb.jpg.47e211b21390b2771443b3fbe80d3efd.jpg

shot-18_09.17_23_23.24-0137.thumb.jpg.3da6c708d51c1fbcb06bd9c268c8c7d8.jpg

Seriously, though, the trick to the KGV is to use AP where appropriate.  Too many people look at the KGV's relatively small caliber guns and short RN fuse and dismiss her AP rounds entirely, which is a huge mistake.  As you can see from the screenshots above, her AP is quite serviceable when used against appropriate targets at appropriate time.  For instance, that Myoko had been sailing broadside to me at about 9km while I beat up his buddy, then continued to do so while I swung about 100 degrees to port and deleted him from nearly full health in a single salvo.  Apparently he didn't think I had anything but HE.

[HRG]
Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

Does the British Battleships get better after King George V is it wroth going up the line King George V Kills me with the Turret turns have to turn the whole ship. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,583 battles
1 hour ago, Riker_2 said:

Does the British Battleships get better after King George V is it wroth going up the line King George V Kills me with the Turret turns have to turn the whole ship. 

If you're complaining about turret traverse, I'm guessing you're still at Tier VI or lower.  Those are terrible traverse times.  Starting with KGV it gets respectable and you never see the 72 second traverse times of QE and prior RN BBs.

180 degree turret traverse times:

IV thru VI QE 72 seconds

VI Premium Warspite 54.55 seconds.  Why same tier, same class Queen Elizabeth did not get Warspite's traverse time, I have no idea, and it really hurts her, IMO.

VII KGV thru X Conqueror, including Premiums VII Hood, Duke of York, Nelson 45 seconds

[HRG]
Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

I am at tier 7 need two million more credit for tier 8 Battleship i have been watching Whiskey gaming lounge videos and he says the tier 8 is so so how does it do when it is up tiered do you use AP or HE most of the time is it wroth getting or try and free XP Passed it.

[TACG]
Alpha Tester
296 posts
2,830 battles

All in all. I would say the KGV is an awesome ship. Just try gather enough xp to skip Monarch. that thing is horrible deserves to be in the scrap yard

• Cool 1

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,521 battles
On 10/7/2018 at 1:00 AM, Starfleet1701 said:

All in all. I would say the KGV is an awesome ship. Just try gather enough xp to skip Monarch. that thing is horrible deserves to be in the scrap yard

Agree!  It's the one battleship I have that I use HE about 80% of the time cause it's so damn fun! The other day I did 115K damage with 19 fires against 4 ships that I toasted so bad I just let my team mates kill them as I was low health and had to island hide at the end. We won a close random battle on the Haven map. The enemy Fuso player which I harassed and torched for 55K damage finally spotted me and killed me. Only had about 23 battles in her so far but 8-10 have been 100K plus damage. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by dust340man

Members
52 posts
On 9/9/2017 at 2:02 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

It's the ship I'm looking forward to. So far I've been having a good time in the Orion, those HE shells are amazing. I wonder if the KGV is a keeper, whether it's worth it. I've heard mixed opinions on it, some seem to be enjoying her while others can't do crap with it.

A little about my playstyle:

-Close to medium range, tends to get into brawls. (7-15 km)

-Prefer to push and be aggressive, but can kite away when necessary.

-I like setting fires and dealing fire damage, but pound broadside cruisers and battleships with AP.

-Overall, average to slightly above average player.

Does KGV have decent maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy? Secondaries?

It's DEFINITELY not worth anything... guns are lousy..reload is horrible.. get the Nelson.. or wait till you can get the Lion, Conqueror... KGV wasn't worth adding to the game.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,521 battles
On 10/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Bluffrat_2018 said:

It's DEFINITELY not worth anything... guns are lousy..reload is horrible.. get the Nelson.. or wait till you can get the Lion, Conqueror... KGV wasn't worth adding to the game.

Sounds like one of the guys that has been torched by a KGV.  😋

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,882 posts

I haven't been rushing up any one line, and the RN BBs just don't beg to be played as far as I'm concerned, so... I just finished grinding through the KGV... my only concern in getting rid of it is that the Monarch won't be any better for its tier.

Members
579 posts
3,361 battles
On 11/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Just had 1st game in the KGV and it is a huge step up over the T6 QE. KGV can actually get somewhere with decent speed, it maneuvers okay for a BB, and while the guns are small at just 356MM for a T7 you have a super fast reload and great turret speed. I find them pretty accurate too. I didn't see any T8 or T9 BB's in my 1st game but the AP did just fine on the T7's and was lethal on the T5/T6 ships. I actually barely used the HE (used it on a DD chasing me).

The KGV reminds me a little of the T5 KM BB Konig and how that ship is armed with small guns. Even if I end up hating the KGV after playing it more I am still so glad I used that free XP to get past QE. Man what a steaming pile that T6 is. KGV just has to be better.

XYTJJZ1.jpg

What a fantastic ship!

[ARGSY]
Members
7,567 posts
5,172 battles

I wanted to love this ship. I really did. And my best games in her were really good. But almost every time I played her, either....

1) My own team got thoroughly steamrolled, so that any epic killing I did ran up against loser XP algorithms.

2) My own team steamrolled the enemy so thoroughly and uniformly that I didn't get a chance to do much at all (pick off a couple of cruisers here and there).

Very rarely the stars aligned and the games were spectacular in every way, but overall it wasn't worth the frustration. I threw on every flag and camo I could to drag myself over the line, then moved my captain into the Monarch and sent KGV to the breaker's.

There is a list of ships I would rather not grind again, and the KGV joins the Fushun and Karlsruhe on that list. Maybe down the road when I have oodles of credits and elite captain Xp I might buy her back and drive her for fun in co-op, but that time is not now. 

• Cool 1

Members
670 posts
4,536 battles

I really, really want to like this ship. In my first 12 games, I won the twelfth. Maybe my problem is that I'm used to playing super-dreadnoughts, particularly in the form of the Warspite of QE. Even when angled, I'm getting penned regularly and I've never really needed Expert Loader before so waiting 25-ish seconds to load AP for a broadside cruiser is just too long. The KGV just doesn't seem capable of carrying a match, so if my team is even half-potato I'm almost guaranteed a loss because I can't exert much influence myself.

Yes, the fire chance is nice. Though that damage isn't very sticky, it can be healed back by the BB's you're usually targeting with HE. Too bad I'm hearing the Monarch isn't much better because I have enough ships that have been a brutal tier 7-8 grind to add another disappointing game play experience into the mix.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
622 posts
2,789 battles
On 12/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, Jiggiwatt said:

I really, really want to like this ship. In my first 12 games, I won the twelfth. Maybe my problem is that I'm used to playing super-dreadnoughts, particularly in the form of the Warspite of QE. Even when angled, I'm getting penned regularly and I've never really needed Expert Loader before so waiting 25-ish seconds to load AP for a broadside cruiser is just too long. The KGV just doesn't seem capable of carrying a match, so if my team is even half-potato I'm almost guaranteed a loss because I can't exert much influence myself.

Yes, the fire chance is nice. Though that damage isn't very sticky, it can be healed back by the BB's you're usually targeting with HE. Too bad I'm hearing the Monarch isn't much better because I have enough ships that have been a brutal tier 7-8 grind to add another disappointing game play experience into the mix.

The biggest problem with KGV (and her sister Duke of York) is that the firing arcs are TERRIBLE, particularly on the rear turret, which forces you to give a huge amount of broadside in order to bring that back turret to bear... which you want to do whenever you can because it's 40% of your firepower, yet you risk getting punished heavily for doing so. You really have to pick your fights carefully to get the most out of the ship. And sometimes opportunities never arise because your team melts, or conversely they never arise because your team runs away with the game and you're left HE spamming for scraps.

I do like Monarch better, because both the AP and the firing arcs are better than on its predecessor. Most guys apparently don't, though, and I can certainly see why: it does not feel like a powerful ship in the way Bismarck, NoCar, and Amagi do. I won't be keeping it.

--Helms

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
912 posts
11,308 battles

Dispersion was adjusted (up). Hard to hit as well as before, shells miss a lot more than they used to. I was a 50K damage player, not about 30K damage per game.

Members
275 posts
4,042 battles

Here is a super-duper secret.  Don't be an HE spamming scrub.  AP should be your default ammo.  I learned this way back with DoY that has worse reload.  The AP may not be the greatest but it will kill cruisers just fine and those are your primary targets for influencing a match in a BB.  The quicker you kill enemy cruisers the safer your DD's are which protects you from enemy DD's since they can afford to sit between you and the enemy with your own cruisers to back you up.  The quick reload of the KGV is perfect for this.  The other part of this super duper secret is to shoot AP at BB's upper belt for normal damage pens, you can still get very hefty salvos off easily over 10k even as high as 20k, with a 25s reload that is powerful.  The reason you use AP is that the damage is delivered quicker which eliminates enemies much quicker and influences the match much more.  Fire damage is also all repairable pen damage is only half repairable.

Also invest in expert loader, I said don't spam HE not don't use HE.  your HE is powerful enough and you can switch quick enough that it is useful for targeting DD's and Bow tanking BB's, this really is a powerful tool.

• Cool 3