Jump to content
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is the KGV worth it? Is it a keeper?

69 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,285
[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles

I have played it enough to decide I like it a lot and will keep it so I bought the perma camo. Good ship. Tougher than I expected but it does struggle to deal damage in T8/T9 matches due to the small guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,081 posts
10,922 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

it does struggle to deal damage in T8/T9 matches due to the small guns

you can switch to HE, farm DOT a bit, repeated, and switch back to AP to do more damage. Players do not have to stick to HE only while playing British BB ... it situational awareness, and know when to switch ammo. This is regardless if you t7 entering a t9 as top tier. This even more opportunity for t7 farm XP and credit. I loved if i am in those game in my KGV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,081 posts
10,922 battles
On 9/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, Zionas said:

Does KGV have decent maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy? Secondaries?

you played her at stock??

 

i just got her, play at stock, and i now can do a bit of upgrade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,285
[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
6 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

you can switch to HE, farm DOT a bit, repeated, and switch back to AP to do more damage. Players do not have to stick to HE only while playing British BB ... it situational awareness, and know when to switch ammo. This is regardless if you t7 entering a t9 as top tier. This even more opportunity for t7 farm XP and credit. I loved if i am in those game in my KGV

I do actually use the HE quite a bit even though it goes against what I feel BB's should do. I should have been more specific and said deal damage that matters ie; devastating salvos with AP that obliterate stuff. You can wrack up decent fire damage with it but the AP struggles vs T8/T9. I like it a lot though despite that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,081 posts
10,922 battles
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

up decent fire damage with it but the AP struggles vs T8/T9. I like it a lot though despite that.

I am on the different opinion on this issue. First of HE/AP regardless, if you know where to hit, even bb at higher tier then you, will matter. Your ammo maybe bounces/shatter/no citadel hits, but why not go for severe damage instead aiming for those citadel? it do the same and sometime more consistent DOT. HE first to get fire, hold and wait, HE again after they use DC; HE again to get 3/4 fire, switch to AP and aim .... t8 wont last long ....

Last minute measure, if the player bow in since their bow armor is bouncing your round, HE get the fire, take an opportunity or the upper hand. If not, RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,285
[PVE]
Members
7,175 posts
12,358 battles
12 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

I am on the different opinion on this issue. First of HE/AP regardless, if you know where to hit, even bb at higher tier then you, will matter. Your ammo maybe bounces/shatter/no citadel hits, but why not go for severe damage instead aiming for those citadel? it do the same and sometime more consistent DOT. HE first to get fire, hold and wait, HE again after they use DC; HE again to get 3/4 fire, switch to AP and aim .... t8 wont last long ....

Last minute measure, if the player bow in since their bow armor is bouncing your round, HE get the fire, take an opportunity or the upper hand. If not, RAM

For KGV your scenario is fine BUT if you have other BB's with normal guns for their tier the AP can wipe them out in 1-2 salvo's vs needing multiple ones to start fires, get them to put them out, restart the fires, then finally swap to AP. All that time they can still shoot you or your team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,081 posts
10,922 battles
8 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

For KGV your scenario is fine BUT if you have other BB's with normal guns for their tier the AP can wipe them out in 1-2 salvo's

we been deviated away from the main topic. Other bb will have their play style differently. For the KGV, this is; it should shine as taking advantage of the most of the HE fire chances and switch to AP when opportunity given at any given battle and facing any given BB head on, this included facing higher tier bb. Encouraging player play the ship properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[DRED]
Members
23 posts
3,313 battles

All I read was AP bounces and HE is the way to go.  But, I got tired of high % hits..but low HP.   All this week I've been slowing down my aim and hurling AP and have found it pretty darn effective...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles

Hey

I'm not a huge fan of the RN BB's so far but the KGV is the best for it's tier and I am now running the Monarch.  Not as much fun as the the KGV.  Overall, I still prefer my German BB's.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
202 posts
5,049 battles

Does the KGV's survivability get much better with the B-hull? I've been playing it stock in co-op while I re-train my commander, and it seems to take AP pens through the bow all the time. Its armor actually seems like a downgrade from the QE, which I found to be quite tanky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles

Definitely a keeper most of it's stats are just decent but it has the amazing RN HE which is amazing. Also it's British so that's one of the main reasons why I kept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,312
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

KGV is a solid ship.  More importantly, because of her fast firing guns and dependence on HE, she scales well when she's bottom tier.

 

Nagato, Colorado have problems when their mighty 410mm / 406mm AP can no longer LOLPEN 25mm bows of Tier VII and lower BBs.  Because the VIII-IX BBs they encounter can just angle, bow tank their shells with zero problems, while they themselves get crushed by the large enemy guns.

 

Gneisenau, Scharnhorst ability to push and brawl is heavily mitigated in the High Tier Meta.  USN BBs at VIII-IX are no longer sloths to run over.  They got speed and they got the guns to make them pay.  Gneisenau and Scharnhorst have unreliable guns and suspect power in an VIII-IX match.  In a VIII-IX match, unlike lower tier matches, German BBs can no longer easily, commonly solve their problems simply by pointing towards another BB and going Max Throttle.  It's pretty funny to watch an Amagi crush Scharnhorst while kiting it.

 

Nelson?  She's big and she can be LOLPENNED by even 380mm AP.  She's too easy to hit with BB guns and she'll eat citadels especially from powerful 406mm+ guns.  Nelson actually has a citadel to protect.  What's this?... Oh, Musashi!  How rude of you to show up in Nelson's match!

What better target for Musashi to feast on than a large, super-clumsy BB with 25mm armor and a big, exposed citadel!  MMMMmmmMMMM!  Tasty!

 

Meanwhile, you got stealthy, fast sailing, maneuverable KGV.  She's no better armored than her VII BB peers, but unlike Nelson, she has a safer Citadel nor a sitting duck.  KGV can try to pick her fights like Scharnhorst, but KGV's great HE shells let her deal good, reliable damage against the much more toughly armored VIII-IX BBs.

 

It's easy to hold up a ship, proclaim it's great when it's top tier smashing ships 2 tiers lower.  But how does that ship fare when bottom tier?

 

The answer is that KGV holds up in such cases.  Not saying she's super easy in a VIII-IX match, but her toolkit is much more useful than many of her peers in Tier VII BB land when bottom tier.  The funny part is she's doing this with only 356mm guns in a Tier VIII-IX match.  And those guns are bigger, stronger, more reliable than Scharnhorst's.

 

I even called KGV the best VII BB back in August 2017.

And I still believe that now.  Better than Scharnhorst.  You will find Nelson as the statistical leader of VII BBs, but you'll also find how uncomfortable Nelson is when she's bottom tier.  Meanwhile, KGV just sails along, sneakily, and spamming HE with her waterline citadel at a comfortable speed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
776
[WOLF6]
Members
2,298 posts
5,124 battles

And yet, Nelson has one of the highest BB win rates in the game. Highest at T7, I believe also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,312
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
1 hour ago, Thornir said:

And yet, Nelson has one of the highest BB win rates in the game. Highest at T7, I believe also.

And yet Nelson gets citadeled pretty easy.  That's undeniable, also.  She takes a beating but she gets punished just as harshly.  KGV is faster, stealthier, more maneuverable.  She just does just fine and is not wholly dependent on a superior gun BB to miss a ship as large as Nelson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
776
[WOLF6]
Members
2,298 posts
5,124 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

And yet Nelson gets citadeled pretty easy.  That's undeniable, also.  She takes a beating but she gets punished just as harshly.  KGV is faster, stealthier, more maneuverable.  She just does just fine and is not wholly dependent on a superior gun BB to miss a ship as large as Nelson.

Hey, I get it. I don’t have a Nelson and I am sure it has issues. All I am saying is that despite its problems, it’s doing really well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
37 posts
3,252 battles
On 9/9/2017 at 2:23 PM, TornadoADV said:

The biggest strike against her is that 1/3rd of her firepower is stuck in the rear turret with frankly terrible unmasking angles.

40% of her firepower is in that rear turret. It’s an issue. Fortunately she fires a tight pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,312
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
On 7/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, NeptunesInferno said:

40% of her firepower is in that rear turret. It’s an issue. Fortunately she fires a tight pattern.

At least the gun arrangement is more useful than Izumo's.

YEEESH!

 

Anyways, I remember when KGV came out, I was saying that her arrival meant Scharnhorst was no longer the Queen of Tier VII BBs.  I came across resistance to that proclamationHow dare someone ever question that there's a better BB in Tier VII than Scharnhorst!  Nobody was willing to admit for a while that Scharnhorst, herself being the definition of Power Creep compared to Nagato & Colorado, has finally herself been Power Crept.  Not only by FreeXP / Premium Ship Nelson in the same tier, but also by free, tech tree ship KGV.

 

I LOVED SCHARNHORST.  Had plenty of great games with her.  But after playing KGV on Day 1 of her release, I was blown away.  In my head, "Can KGV really be better than Scharhorst?... It can't be."  But after more and more time, it only became much clearer.  The match I had where I kited and trolled 2 different Scharnhorsts in a match, killing them, without even getting into <10km range was an enlightening moment.  Nagato, Colorado cannot maintain separation to establish their gun superiority over Scharnhorst.  KGV is fast, not as fast as Scharnhorst, but fast enough that any chase against the RN BB was going to be a long and drawn out affair, and Scharnhorst's unreliable gunnery would be her downfall.  Scharnhorst needs to get close to do her best work.  KGV doesn't.

 

Today it's more acknowledged, Scharnhorst has been Power Crept and KGV herself is a magnificent ship.  But there's still a bunch out there that think of Scharnhorst's status in the game as if Royal Navy Battleships had not arrived yet.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

At least the gun arrangement is more useful than Izumo's.

YEEESH!

 

Anyways, I remember when KGV came out, I was saying that her arrival meant Scharnhorst was no longer the Queen of Tier VII BBs.  I came across resistance to that proclamationHow dare someone ever question that there's a better BB in Tier VII than Scharnhorst!  Nobody was willing to admit for a while that Scharnhorst, herself being the definition of Power Creep compared to Nagato & Colorado, has finally herself been Power Crept.  Not only by FreeXP / Premium Ship Nelson in the same tier, but also by free, tech tree ship KGV.

 

I LOVED SCHARNHORST.  Had plenty of great games with her.  But after playing KGV on Day 1 of her release, I was blown away.  In my head, "Can KGV really be better than Scharhorst?... It can't be."  But after more and more time, it only became much clearer.  The match I had where I kited and trolled 2 different Scharnhorsts in a match, killing them, without even getting into <10km range was an enlightening moment.  Nagato, Colorado cannot maintain separation to establish their gun superiority over Scharnhorst.  KGV is fast, not as fast as Scharnhorst, but fast enough that any chase against the RN BB was going to be a long and drawn out affair, and Scharnhorst's unreliable gunnery would be her downfall.  Scharnhorst needs to get close to do her best work.  KGV doesn't.

 

Today it's more acknowledged, Scharnhorst has been Power Crept and KGV herself is a magnificent ship.  But there's still a bunch out there that think of Scharnhorst's status in the game as if Royal Navy Battleships had not arrived yet.

I played a few matches with Scharnhorst and I was like, meh, then I played KGV and I really liked her, then with Hood I was blown away. In my opinion she's the best T7 BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98
[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
4,259 battles
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I played a few matches with Scharnhorst and I was like, meh, then I played KGV and I really liked her, then with Hood I was blown away. In my opinion she's the best T7 BB.

I love my Scharnhorst, but KGV baffles me with the unusable third turret and terrible AP power. I like the DoY much better because of the improved AP. 
For most purposes too, Scharnhorst is indeed a better ship because if it really wanted, it can outrange the KGV. It has far better bow armor too, better AA, better reload, better sigma, torpedoes for brawling, almost 2x faster turrets, and so on....
I can get why the KGV is so popular, but it's been creeped into balance like the Conqueror in that you absolutely positively HAVE to spam HE to a degree to get the most out of it, If I load HE in KGV or DoY I absolutely know I can get big numbers, but it feels so silly. Having your AP clang off other BB is entirely pointless, because it's like Scharnhorst again. Except Scharn is faster. Conqueror is loathed for being generally unkillable and having silly HE power, but also....it can't actually affect matches very well. Because it doesn't have the raw AP power of Yamato or Montana, nor the Titan-esk GK, it can't actually provide presence. The Conq doesn't be a threat because it just slips in and out of stealth and farms fire damage. 
Which, everyone just heals away anyway. 

KGV has an inflated version of this effect because at lower tiers you have a little more people that don't have so much common sense when dealing with fires. KGV is definitely good, but in a firefight with a decent Nagato or Colorado at 15km? No. Lol no. You'll get overmatched into oblivion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,795 battles

Picked up the Schanrhorst and KGV recently and my results show I'm a much better KGV player. LOL! I think that 44% fire chance with DE and 2 fire flags  make the difference? Plus I feel people ignore the KGV probably more than a Scharnhorst in battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,312
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
4 hours ago, dust340man said:

Picked up the Schanrhorst and KGV recently and my results show I'm a much better KGV player. LOL! I think that 44% fire chance with DE and 2 fire flags  make the difference? Plus I feel people ignore the KGV probably more than a Scharnhorst in battles.

It's not that people ignore KGV.  Quite honestly, if you are in range of Cruisers they'll love spamming you for lots of regular HE penetrating hits due to the 32mm armor all over the ship.  IMO, the problem for Scharnhorst is that she's a brawler that needs to get close.  She is constantly looking for openings to get close to do her best work and that's how she eats lots of damage.  Poke at the wrong time, get focused at the worst time.

 

Meanwhile, KGV is just sailing along at her leisure, at the engagement ranges she already prefers (medium and long range), and not stressing over a weird drive to get super close, because she has zero need to get super close.  She also has better concealment.  She's a much more simple ship to play.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,795 battles

I burned up and sank a USS Mass BB the other day in my KGV. He was focusing too much on other ships and using his powerful secondaries at them while I sniped him from 14-16km setting him on fire multiple times. Toward the end of the battle I met him and an Amagi at close range with me being south of them and our Tirpitz being north of him and the Amagi. The Tirpitz took care of the Amagi and I sank the USS Mass doing 67K damage to him total during the battle and 110k damage total to all ships with 10 fires and 2 ships sank.  Having a lot of fun in the Tier 7 KGV these days.:cap_horn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
153
[FLS]
Alpha Tester
635 posts
2,818 battles
On 10/22/2017 at 12:00 AM, Sventex said:

This is my take on the KGV.  She's a high damage Battleship that has no carry potential what so ever.  Even if I'm doing 150k damage, it means nothing towards victory.  A Nagato has good secondaries and a very powerful alpha, I can use her in the late game to sneak up on a ship using terrain and devastate it.  A Dunkerque is very fast and can bow-tank, and has bow armor proof against 14" shells and lower which can be applied to monstrous effect in the late game.

The KGV only has fire potential.  The Alpha on the KGV is abysmal, within 6km, the AP rounds will still shatter and bounce off the hull of another Battleship.  Even against close range cruisers the AP was a bit dubious.  I have to use HE at point blank if I want to get anywhere, and killing with fire is a slow process.  I guess she's a good support division ship, she has no obvious weaknesses, but when it's crunch time, you can only set the Reaper's cloak on fire and hope.

 

In 25 battles, I've won only 7.  Since she's a unique looking historical ship, I'd keep her, but playing her eats away at my soul a little bit, just like how she eats away at my signal flags and camos


This. I am very close to Monarch now and I don't like KGV any more than I did when I first got it. It's such a brainless ship to play, and it can't do the one thing that a battleship should be able to do well: huge alpha strike. KGV has, tier for tier, probably the worst alpha potential of any BB I've ever played, including Gneisenau (Gneisenau at least has torpedoes, secondaries, and AP that actually penetrates). Sure, you can instagib the occasional cruiser that gives you broadside, but so can every other BB in the game, and most other BB can punish rather more besides. KGV has to stack low-impact damage in the form of fully-healable fire DoT and largely-healable HE pen, and hope it gets ignored long enough to let the numbers climb. If I want to rely on HE pens and fire stacking, I'll play a cruiser, because at least cruisers have the DPM to make it worthwhile.

KGV is junk. I hate it, and I'm selling it as soon as I'm done with it. I hear Monarch is supposed to be middling, tier for tier, by comparison, while most other people seem to think KGV is pretty good for a tier 7, so I'm not really looking forward to the next phase of the grind, either. It's gonna be a long road to Lion.
:Smile_sad:

--Helms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,011
[DRACS]
Members
4,043 posts

She's a fine ship. I regularly get in top 2 or 3 of my team when playing her.

Unfortunately, she's also a cursed ship for me as the rest of my team always get steamrolled when I play her. Hell, yesterday was the first WoWs match I played in several months. Took her out for a spin in a tier 8 match. Came in second place on my team because everyone else died in the first 10 minutes. Thankfully, that long break didn't make me too bitter. Plus I knew I'd likely lose in her ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×