Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is the KGV worth it? Is it a keeper?

63 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

It's the ship I'm looking forward to. So far I've been having a good time in the Orion, those HE shells are amazing. I wonder if the KGV is a keeper, whether it's worth it. I've heard mixed opinions on it, some seem to be enjoying her while others can't do crap with it.

A little about my playstyle:

-Close to medium range, tends to get into brawls. (7-15 km)

-Prefer to push and be aggressive, but can kite away when necessary.

-I like setting fires and dealing fire damage, but pound broadside cruisers and battleships with AP.

-Overall, average to slightly above average player.

Does KGV have decent maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy? Secondaries?

Edited by Zionas

Members
1,061 posts
6,141 battles

I like the ship, but it's not a "knock-out puncher" as they say in boxing circles. It's more of a boxer who likes to take opponents the distance and outscore them. 

HE is my ammo of choice and AP seems to do little damage. It starts lots of fires with HE. AP seems to bounce a lot, even on cruisers. I have detonated cruisers with HE as it gets some penetration from time to time. it can eat DD's with quickness.

I guess because it's such a prolific fire starter, it seems to get focus fired by the enemy. Choose your targets wisely and use your stealth to your advantage.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,980 posts

She's the half-way point between the Gneisenau and the Scharnhorst in terms of guns with decent mobility and strong AA. Her secondaries are decent fire starters against BBs and CAs but won't be racking up pure damage and have issues with CLs and DDs unless you dump 4 points into Manual Secondaries when you should be putting it in Concealment Expert. The biggest strike against her is that 1/3rd of her firepower is stuck in the rear turret with frankly terrible unmasking angles.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

In my time in her on my Corgi account, I liked her a lot. I plan on keeping her anyways as I am a fan of the KGVs.

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
26,977 battles
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

It's the ship I'm looking forward to. So far I've been having a good time in the Orion, those HE shells are amazing. I wonder if the KGV is a keeper, whether it's worth it. I've heard mixed opinions on it, some seem to be enjoying her while others can't do crap with it.

A little about my playstyle:

-Close to medium range, tends to get into brawls. (7-15 km)

medium range - KGV, closer range - Gneisenau

-Prefer to push and be aggressive, but can kite away when necessary.

those are opposite qualities of BB - you have to pick one

-I like setting fires and dealing fire damage, but pound broadside cruisers and battleships with AP.

again - opposite qualities - no BB posses both excellent HE and AP (KGV has terrible AP)

-Overall, average to slightly above average player.

aren't we all ;-)

Does KGV have decent maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy? Secondaries?

KGV have it all: maneuverability, survivability, and gun accuracy decent - nothing epic (except fire chance). Forget about secondaries though

Edited by SlartiBartFastE2

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,764 posts
5,805 battles

Gun accuracy can be amazing, landing 6 out of 10 on a DD at 7k, Or your accuracy can be landing none on a cruiser at 10k with 4 shells going astern and the other 6 landing ahead.

Stick to HE for the most part, although your AP will citadel cruisers, its all about the fire. 

Armour....pretend you dont have any. A Belfast hit me with AP for 10k last night, but he only landed a few shells. The KGV is extraordinarily squishy, for HE, AP and torps.

For me this ship is a loss machine. I regularly get games over 100k and I feel like I lose 2 out of 3 with it.

[90THC]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,826 battles

Hated it and sold it as soon as I got the Monarch researched. I do have the Nelson if I need a T7 RNBB.  

The only thing the KGV has in it's favor is it's ability to start fires. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

KGV is a fabulous Tier VII BB.

Speed, Trollish Guns despite 356mm which are made up for by amazing HE shells, and great concealment ranges, good armor belt and below the waterline citadel.

The AP is very weak however, I've had side salvos into Iowas with poor results.

What you DO need to take into account is your AA sucks.  Be careful as there are some rather fierce CVs in this tier.

Another concern is her poor armor plating everywhere else not at the belt.  You'll eat lots of penetrations.  Cruiser shells believe it or not are your worst nemesis, not BBs.  The BBs won't do mega citadels on you, thanks to the citadel location of KGV but constant Cruiser fire takes their toll on her.

Use KGV's concealment, mobility to dictate the fight, she is best in the intermediate range.  If the German BBs want to close against you, you got the speed to draw out that chase and pelt them with HE.  KGV's prowess at range and HE+Fire capability makes her an absolute terror late in the game where people's HP pools are depleted, Repair Party possibly run out, etc.  KGV excels in wearing down opponents.

Beta Testers
25 posts
1,735 battles
4 hours ago, EmGee42 said:

Hated it and sold it as soon as I got the Monarch researched. I do have the Nelson if I need a T7 RNBB.  

The only thing the KGV has in it's favor is it's ability to start fires. 

Pretty much this. Although I seem to get punked wayyy to much in my Nelson, I don't tend to keep tier 6 or 7 ships unless they are awesome (Cleveland) or premium.

[RIBIT]
Members
261 posts
4,242 battles

I'm shocked at how well KGV has performed in my first five battles in her. And I struggled for the most part with QE and wasn't looking forward for KGV.

But, man, was I wrong! I ran B-Hull from the first battle (free Xp'd) and fully upgraded the range and speed by the 5th battle, and she has been awesome. 

My default ammo is HE, I switch to Ap for cruisers and close in BB stuff. She's agile and accurate (with aiming mod), and stealthy and can pile up the damage with fires and is absolutely deadly to dds in short range situations. It's great to have HE ready to go when those little dds pop up anannounced.

So far, and it is just 5 battles, I am throughly impressed.

KGV could become my goto T7 BB.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles

So far I've played 17 games, won 8, lost 9. Damage has been high -  89,300 average damage (includes 2x 175k games and fairly frequent 100k). That's more damage than any other of my ships except Minotaur.

Overall conclusion - useless damage farmer.

Make no bones about it, the KGV is pretty ineffectual. Left alone she will rack up the damage over a game, but very rarely in a decisive manner. The AP is very weak, lacking the overmatch advantage of most T7's, much penetration and very unfortunately the accuracy (other T7 BB's are mostly 2.0 sigma, KGV is 1.8 for inexplicable reasons).

While the HE is ok with a 41% fire chance, a 41% chance at T7 is far less impressive than Iron Duke's 40% down at T5. Similarly 6,100 HE damage is not that impressive compared to 5,900 two tiers lower.

The KGV is great if you can stack fires, but you'll run into non-idiots who manage their heals and DCP's well, and if they have Fire Prevention well - your effect drops off greatly. KGV lacks the accuracy and ROF to reliably spread the fires around and one fire - not much of a problem.

KGV's lethality is also greatly hindered by her very poor Y turret arcs which encourage you to use only your forward turrets.

Defenses wise KGV shouldn't be unduly criticized for her 25mm extremities, it's just unfortunate that she feels like a very big ship to be IFHE or CA spammed, not to mention the >15in bow overmatch. Examples being that I took 60k damage from a Scharnhorst shooting AP recently without taking a citadel.

Maneuverability wise she's ok but not fantastic. Rudder shift feels slow and I'm torn between the DCP upgrade and rudder shift. That may be more a criticism of her relative size at T7.

[TXP]
Members
649 posts
10,206 battles

My 1st game in her, over 82K damage, while QE average was 37K. Used HE only. Eleven pt (ex QE) captain at 50% skill level, base ship, no camo, no module upgrades, no flags.

mAtCh MaKeR gave me T6-8 players at the start. It seems that MM will raise it up to mostly T8-9 in my case playing T7, once I start upgrading a ship, while my best games in various ships are the initial ones, before upgrades.

Edited by Ericson38

[GOFU]
Members
106 posts
6,355 battles

We have the same style game play, except I am not above average.

I really like the KG.  I have found I like dealing damage with HE plus setting them on fire and look for another ship in range to set on fire.    I play most of my other BB's the same way.  

Early on when I started this game I found myself putting too much effort in sinking a ship I had first contact with and overlooking others in range.  Now I will set one on fire and if possible will move on to others to light up. 

For me the KGV is a keeper.  

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
On 9/22/2017 at 3:13 PM, mofton said:

So far I've played 17 games, won 8, lost 9. Damage has been high -  89,300 average damage (includes 2x 175k games and fairly frequent 100k). That's more damage than any other of my ships except Minotaur.

Overall conclusion - useless damage farmer.

Make no bones about it, the KGV is pretty ineffectual. Left alone she will rack up the damage over a game, but very rarely in a decisive manner. The AP is very weak, lacking the overmatch advantage of most T7's, much penetration and very unfortunately the accuracy (other T7 BB's are mostly 2.0 sigma, KGV is 1.8 for inexplicable reasons).

While the HE is ok with a 41% fire chance, a 41% chance at T7 is far less impressive than Iron Duke's 40% down at T5. Similarly 6,100 HE damage is not that impressive compared to 5,900 two tiers lower.

The KGV is great if you can stack fires, but you'll run into non-idiots who manage their heals and DCP's well, and if they have Fire Prevention well - your effect drops off greatly. KGV lacks the accuracy and ROF to reliably spread the fires around and one fire - not much of a problem.

KGV's lethality is also greatly hindered by her very poor Y turret arcs which encourage you to use only your forward turrets.

Defenses wise KGV shouldn't be unduly criticized for her 25mm extremities, it's just unfortunate that she feels like a very big ship to be IFHE or CA spammed, not to mention the >15in bow overmatch. Examples being that I took 60k damage from a Scharnhorst shooting AP recently without taking a citadel.

Maneuverability wise she's ok but not fantastic. Rudder shift feels slow and I'm torn between the DCP upgrade and rudder shift. That may be more a criticism of her relative size at T7.

A 790 m turning radius with 15s rudder shift - without Steering Gears Mod. 2 - is slow and lacking in maneuverability to you?  DCP Mod. 2 was an easy choice for me.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles
12 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

A 790 m turning radius with 15s rudder shift - without Steering Gears Mod. 2 - is slow and lacking in maneuverability to you?  DCP Mod. 2 was an easy choice for me.

I'm honestly not sure, I said 'ok but not fantastic'. I suspect as I said that her size (though she's about as long as Scharnhorst and Gnei) may have something to do with it.

I also think that I may be equating poor Y turret arcs with the maneuverability, you have to turn harder for longer to unmask it, it's more dangerous to do so, and easier to oversteer into danger. Once you've fired you want a quick reversal to get back into good angles.

It may also be that she's at 790m for 28kt, whereas my one true love Scharnhorst is 800m at 30kt, and Gneis is only 830m at 32kt. The speed loss and engine power through turns do seem to have an effect beyond the base values listed. LWM's doing some research in that regard.

I think I went with DCP mod in the end.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

This is my take on the KGV.  She's a high damage Battleship that has no carry potential what so ever.  Even if I'm doing 150k damage, it means nothing towards victory.  A Nagato has good secondaries and a very powerful alpha, I can use her in the late game to sneak up on a ship using terrain and devastate it.  A Dunkerque is very fast and can bow-tank, and has bow armor proof against 14" shells and lower which can be applied to monstrous effect in the late game.

The KGV only has fire potential.  The Alpha on the KGV is abysmal, within 6km, the AP rounds will still shatter and bounce off the hull of another Battleship.  Even against close range cruisers the AP was a bit dubious.  I have to use HE at point blank if I want to get anywhere, and killing with fire is a slow process.  I guess she's a good support division ship, she has no obvious weaknesses, but when it's crunch time, you can only set the Reaper's cloak on fire and hope.

In 25 battles, I've won only 7.  Since she's a unique looking historical ship, I'd keep her, but playing her eats away at my soul a little bit, just like how she eats away at my signal flags and camos.

0tCRKtG.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
3,582 battles

I think it's easy to neglect the KGV's AP by defining everything in terms of what it does to BBs at medium-long range. Against cruisers the combination of short-fuse, accuracy and +2 barrels compared to most BBs make it remarkably lethal against cruisers, oh and good turret rotation too. At closer ranges BBs have to be careful if they're giving up broadside shots, if the enemy angles heavily just make sure to do the same and toss HE, but really unless you're already engaging a target I'd keep AP loaded to make sure you can capitalize on the cruiser or close-range BB that suddenly gets spotted, you can always switch to HE for the next salvo and you're unlikely to miss out on much.

[5D]
Members
53 posts
12,402 battles

I liked the KGV and actually kept it up through my Conq. AP every broadside-ish CA and HE every BB and you will be fine.

[5D]
Beta Testers
429 posts
7,566 battles

I'm still not the biggest fan of how the ship plays out. Thats in general from T7-10. I still think that the line should have been a warpite like line with slow turret traverse with powerful guns. 

I feel the KGV should have a 32mm bow and side plating, or a super heal. No where near as good as Nelson, Lion or Conq, but something better than Warspite. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

The ship scales decently when she's stuffed into a Tier VIII-IX match.  Consistent gunnery, solid RN BB HE makes her proficient against the much tougher Tier VIII-IX BBs.  I'm not saying KGV is going to shrug off high tier BB shells, far from it, you can get penetrated quite badly if you get sloppy.  But KGV's gunnery, shells let her get hits, damage into tougher, higher tier BBs.  Iowa / Missouri can be bow onto you, rendering AP half pointless.  Their 16"/50 must be respected.  But KGV can planet a face full of 356mm RN BB HE and set some fires to make them worry a bit more.  It's going to cost them and their bow on profile is not immune to HE attacks.

[KP]
Members
1,989 posts
18,359 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The ship scales decently when she's stuffed into a Tier VIII-IX match.  Consistent gunnery, solid RN BB HE makes her proficient against the much tougher Tier VIII-IX BBs.  I'm not saying KGV is going to shrug off high tier BB shells, far from it, you can get penetrated quite badly if you get sloppy.  But KGV's gunnery, shells let her get hits, damage into tougher, higher tier BBs.  Iowa / Missouri can be bow onto you, rendering AP half pointless.  Their 16"/50 must be respected.  But KGV can planet a face full of 356mm RN BB HE and set some fires to make them worry a bit more.  It's going to cost them and their bow on profile is not immune to HE attacks.

I call it working as intended. RN HE shells were tailor made for breaking up the nose in reverse meta.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,314 posts
10,106 battles

Just had 1st game in the KGV and it is a huge step up over the T6 QE. KGV can actually get somewhere with decent speed, it maneuvers okay for a BB, and while the guns are small at just 356MM for a T7 you have a super fast reload and great turret speed. I find them pretty accurate too. I didn't see any T8 or T9 BB's in my 1st game but the AP did just fine on the T7's and was lethal on the T5/T6 ships. I actually barely used the HE (used it on a DD chasing me).

The KGV reminds me a little of the T5 KM BB Konig and how that ship is armed with small guns. Even if I end up hating the KGV after playing it more I am still so glad I used that free XP to get past QE. Man what a steaming pile that T6 is. KGV just has to be better.

XYTJJZ1.jpg

[SPTR]
Members
210 posts
3,537 battles
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Sventex said:

This is my take on the KGV.  She's a high damage Battleship that has no carry potential what so ever.  Even if I'm doing 150k damage, it means nothing towards victory.  A Nagato has good secondaries and a very powerful alpha, I can use her in the late game to sneak up on a ship using terrain and devastate it.  A Dunkerque is very fast and can bow-tank, and has bow armor proof against 14" shells and lower which can be applied to monstrous effect in the late game.

The KGV only has fire potential.  The Alpha on the KGV is abysmal, within 6km, the AP rounds will still shatter and bounce off the hull of another Battleship.  Even against close range cruisers the AP was a bit dubious.  I have to use HE at point blank if I want to get anywhere, and killing with fire is a slow process.  I guess she's a good support division ship, she has no obvious weaknesses, but when it's crunch time, you can only set the Reaper's cloak on fire and hope.

In 25 battles, I've won only 7.  Since she's a unique looking historical ship, I'd keep her, but playing her eats away at my soul a little bit, just like how she eats away at my signal flags and camos.

0tCRKtG.jpg

The reason you get high damage without results is that it needs to be focused, something hard to do with HE but still possible.  Basically 150k damage focused on one target at a time can kill two Tier 8 BB's if done reasonably quickly.  But if it gets spread out it may not kill any because fire damage is all repairable.  This is why DD's have such an oversized impact on a match for the amount of damage they do, it is usually with torps and the victims have a tendancy to die very quickly.  A devastating strike is better than an arsonist when it comes to influencing the match.