Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bronco

Next T10 cruiser

49 comments in this topic

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles

I currently have all the T10 cruisers except the DM and the Henri. I prefer the Hindenburg among the cruisers that I have in port. Based on this info, which of the two remaining T10 cruisers do you think I should pursue next. 

Thanks in advance,

Bronco

[WN]
Members
3 posts
3,728 battles

The DM is much more akin to the Hindy than the HIV. Its exceptional AA, ROF, and radar utility means it can be a tough ship to master but remarkably effective once you have done so. If you think of the Hindy as a jack of all trades/team support, then I think the DM will suit you more.

disclaimer - only played DM on PTS, but I've heard the Henry is a much more selfish ship.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,402 battles

i have both, the DM is great for division play, and Henri is very good for solo play. 

DM has allot of DPM, but low alpha strike and is excruciatingly slow.

Henri has allot of alpha, but low DPM, and is extremely fast. 

i personally prefer the DM, but that simply my play-style.

[R-F1]
Members
506 posts
21,598 battles

I wouldnt say DM has low alpha personally, its one of the only ships I've had a 9 cit salvo in.  Other than that GX pretty much nailed it.  

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
27,117 battles

If you like Hind, then you'll love Henri. Des Moines is completely different play style. Personally I find DM the best T10 there is. I'd say my most fun games were in DM, as well as quite few 7-kills games. 

• Cool 1

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles
2 minutes ago, hatcrazy said:

disclaimer - only played DM on PTS, but I've heard the Henry is a much more selfish ship.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I played maybe 10 games in total with the DM on the PTS and none of them were memorable. I did play the Henri on the PTS and recall a few good matches but that was when the French cruisers were being tested. 

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles

I've played with my clan mates in a div along with their DMs. I see them poking in and out of island cover all the time, creeping along. I do play that way as well when I play my Mino so I'm comfortable with the play style, just not sure if I want another ship that requires me to play that way to be effective. To me, the Henri seems like a long range kitter that relies on its speed for defense. Am I correct?

BTW, I really appreciate all the advice guys. I really do. Thanks!

[RIPQP]
Members
3,706 posts
14,509 battles

DM. The biggest area denial that exists in the game right now. If you are comfortable with getting average distance traveled of ~22 km then you will be comfortable with this ship.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles
2 minutes ago, m373x said:

DM. The biggest area denial that exists in the game right now. If you are comfortable with getting average distance traveled of ~22 km then you will be comfortable with this ship.

Thank you m373x! How are things? It's been a while since we last div up, sadly.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,706 posts
14,509 battles
Just now, Bronco said:

Thank you m373x! How are things? It's been a while since we last div up, sadly.

Things are going great lately, hopefully you are also doing well. I've seen you twice lately but I was in full div already. Hit me up if you see me online, I'll be able to play after 4 and a half hours if that helps :Smile_honoring:

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles
Just now, m373x said:

Things are going great lately, hopefully you are also doing well. I've seen you twice lately but I was in full div already. Hit me up if you see me online, I'll be able to play after 4 and a half hours if that helps :Smile_honoring:

Yes, that works. I'll look for you then. And congrats on reaching rank 1 as quickly as you did. Well done sir :Smile_honoring:

[RIPQP]
Members
3,706 posts
14,509 battles
2 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Yes, that works. I'll look for you then. And congrats on reaching rank 1 as quickly as you did. Well done sir :Smile_honoring:

Haha, thanks. Big improvement compared to 6th season, Fubuki did her best :Smile-_tongue:

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles

I missed out mainly because I went on vacation for 3 weeks after the first week. Next season will be tier 7, hoping for a better result.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles

I think both cruisers are excellent & your enjoyment will be most determined by your playstyle.

The DM is a ROF, heavy AP shell damage machine with a shorter effective range (due to shell arcs) w/ great AA & its radar. The Henri is a better support cruiser using its speed and maneuvering from longer range & interesting help from its spaced armor (iChase just posted a good video on the Henri's spaced armor).  Both ships are effective fire spammers.

What I found is that, if you like the Hindy, the Henri may be a bit closer in play style to it.  Both ships are great and I like them both, but I just play them slightly differently.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles
25 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

I think both cruisers are excellent & your enjoyment will be most determined by your playstyle.

The DM is a ROF, heavy AP shell damage machine with a shorter effective range (due to shell arcs) w/ great AA & its radar. The Henri is a better support cruiser using its speed and maneuvering from longer range & interesting help from its spaced armor (iChase just posted a good video on the Henri's spaced armor).  Both ships are effective fire spammers.

What I found is that, if you like the Hindy, the Henri may be a bit closer in play style to it.  Both ships are great and I like them both, but I just play them slightly differently.

I do like the utility of having radar on my Moskva therefore I think I will go for the DM. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to lend me your wisdom. Cheers!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

DM is an absolutely unique playstyle among Tier X Cruisers.  If you have not attained her, I suggest getting her because she plays so differently and will be that unique Tier X experience.  I'm not saying it will be easy, but it is something special.

I have Moskva, Zao, Hindenburg, Minotaur, all great Tier X Cruisers.  I just got HIV, but only 1 match with her so far and will feel her out some more.  DM is unique in play.  She is also my "Go To" Tier X Cruiser for Divisions, without a shadow of a doubt. None of the other Tier X's do the same duties DM does and at the same way DM does.

Moskva can slot Radar & Hydro at the same time, but Moskva is too easy to spot, too unwieldy to make Radar & Hydro a possibility, or at least get in position easily to pull it off.

Minotaur can technically do Radar & Hydro but to do that, she needs to drop smoke for Radar.  Yeah.

DM is stealthy enough to really pull off that Radar & Hydro Combo.  It's much more reasonable to get into position to use the consumables with DM and still have the firepower to punish people quickly enough in those short range engagements.  The others don't shoot fast enough, or if you can, i.e. Minotaur, they can angle to make your damage output drop.  DM won't care what angle you take.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[OPG]
Members
3,892 posts
5,479 battles

Really depends on your preferred play style.  They are both great ships and they are both fun to play.  The Henri is played like a soviet DD, always visible, always in the open and always drawing fire, while the Des Moines is a more up close and personal ship, but as a result has to depend on lot more on cover for survival.  You can't go wrong with either.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles

Done! I am now a proud owner of a fresh DM with a 19 pt captain. Got it late last night as I was about to log off. Will take it out on its maiden voyage later today.

I went on the PTS and played about 10 games with the DM. Only had a 15 pt captain but still managed a 70% WR with about 110k damage. These stats are definitely skewed and not representative of what I can expect on the live server since the PTS was filled with DDs and Minos. Overall, I found the DM to be a lot of fun. I'm glad to finally have her in my port.

Thanks again for all the advice. I knew I could count on this community to point me in the right direction :)

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

DM, totally. Henri is a good ship, but it's still basically an HE spammer. DM is very fragile and can get insta-deleted by any BB for showing it's side ... but on the other hand, it is the best support ship in the game, is an absolute nightmare to DDs and CV planes, and it's AP can utterly smash cruisers nearby that dare show even a glimpse of their side due to it's ridiculous penetrative power. Many years later and people still have not gotten the memo about USN cruiser AP.

Do note that it's shells are very floaty, so it's best at getting in close and lobbing shells over islands. It is NOT a long range open water type cruiser like most of the others.

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles
On 9/9/2017 at 0:39 PM, m373x said:

Unless a Northcal deletes you with 1 front salvo :cap_book:

Sign in to follow this