You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pit22448

Friedrich der Große maybe slightly unbalanced...?

44 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
3,230 battles

After grinding out the German line, i came upon this amazing ship, the Friedrich der Große. What is the weakness of this ship? i'm struggling to find one. It can go 30 knots, it has lulz turtleback armor, it has hydro, so screw destroyers at long range, it has a cruiser mounted to each side, so screw close range destroyers, it has accurate guns with short travel time, so screw cruisers, and a 26 second reload on the 16 inch guns. 

How the heck is this balanced?

• Cool 1

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
287 posts
13,584 battles

TORPS my friend torps are going to eat you. Also fire love this ship. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Her dispersion is higher than the other battleships at her tier, as well as being a huge target, she doesn't turn well, has a huge superstructure to shoot at, and on her 420mm guns, has a longer reload.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
20 minutes ago, Pit22448 said:

After grinding out the German line, i came upon this amazing ship, the Friedrich der Große. What is the weakness of this ship? i'm struggling to find one. It can go 30 knots, it has lulz turtleback armor, it has hydro, so screw destroyers at long range, it has a cruiser mounted to each side, so screw close range destroyers, it has accurate guns with short travel time, so screw cruisers, and a 26 second reload on the 16 inch guns. 

How the heck is this balanced?

Guess mine was bugged.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles

Turtleback armor is great for avoiding cits, but her armor isn't so great, she takes regular pen damage. Not to mention those guns are so inaccurate. 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
1 hour ago, Pit22448 said:

After grinding out the German line, i came upon this amazing ship, the Friedrich der Große

Fat Freddy Da Goober is a magnet for torps and fire; and there is a lot of him to burn.

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

Iowa is a much better choice for T9 BB. However, when you get to T10, you'll love the G. Kurfurst!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,716 posts
7,354 battles

Fat Freddy can toss down some hurt, but Fat Freddy has a better than even chance of taking the same amount of damage she deals. That's...not really a good thing. She lights like a match, eats torps like it's brunch at the Golden Coral, and her guns often miss the broad side of a ship and pass 3km over the ship instead. This is known as not being accurate.

Yes, she can be epic. She can also be an epic LOL to the red team.

• Cool 3

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,561 battles

She's kinda in the middle of all the other T9 BBs, she's definitely balanced. Better than the Izumo, worse than the Missouri and Lion.

• Cool 1

Members
956 posts
5,678 battles
On 9/9/2017 at 0:43 PM, Prushn said:

Iowa is a much better choice for T9 BB. However, when you get to T10, you'll love the G. Kurfurst!

I gotta think you're right...I have both the FDG and a Missouri, and you can't help but LOVE the Mizzou/Iowa GUNS, baby!! FDG, not so much.

Played a GK in the public test for the first time last night...the kind of happy that just makes your eyes roll back in your head.

[DAS]
Members
16 posts
6,967 battles

Freddy has electric generators fueled with gasoline that it carries in jerry cans stacked on the deck. This thing is literally on fire from the moment you are spotted until the water floods over the deck when it sinks. I even threw FP on my skipper which has helped maybe marginally but I hated having to spend 4 points that should have been used for something else. That being said she can deal the hurt, powerful mains when you are able to close the range and awesome secondaries. 

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I can some up the FDG in one word for me:  SUCKS.  Very hit and miss for me, don't like it and mine is fully upgraded with 420's, takes damage way too easily for a T9.  Bismarck is Love compared to FDG.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Cool 2

Members
19 posts
7,917 battles

Bismarck was horrible, damage numbers and win rates were never even close to my NC. But Fredrick is one of my all time favorite ships. I have just 2 ships that have broken 200k mark and its about a dozen times its Fredrick and Kurfurst and the Fredrick at 211k damage with 6 kills is still my grand champion.

The 420s hit extremely hard the secondaries can get you and extra 50k damage a game. The hydro keeps you from getting torpedoed. Her weaknesses are her AA is crap. So is the Kurfurst the AA rating number is a freaking joke it might say 90 something but its really about 30. Use a Iowa and Missouri set for AA and you can do 500 dps on long range with manual  the German bbs have that between short mid and long they get killed. They take major damage easily if I am about to shoot at a bunch of bbs I will always pick on Fredrick or Kurfurst it's so easy to get 20-40k hits when you know where to aim. They are HE spam magnets they are like 900 feet long you can not miss with cruiser dispersion. But she has the ability to delete cruisers in a single savo.

• Cool 1

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I played a T10 game yesterday and could only milk out like 24K damage before I got deleted, did manage to kill a DD which was helpful but we lost.  This POS continues to be underwhelming; the guns are very under performing and she takes way to much damage, you tend to get deleted before you can even get to brawling range, I think my 14pt Capt. would be better used elsewhere.  If you want real fun stop at T8 on the German BB's and focus on the German cruiser line for T9 and T10.  I absolutely love the Roon at T9, and have toyed with selling the FDG to get the T10 Hindy.  

• Cool 2

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,068 posts
7,506 battles

My nickname for it is Freaky Fred.

Because playing FDG makes you feel... naaaaughty.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

Sshhhh, lol.  It's a great and misunderstood ship evidently.  I use the smaller guns (use 420s on my GK tho) which makes up a bit for the bad dispersion. 

I would call the T9 BBs balanced, but I don't know much about the RN BBs. 

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

All BBs fall to my Mino, Yugu and Shima.  Except that damn Missouri which I can't seem to remember has radar.  MO is the only OP BB imo, but I ain't complaining - wouldn't mind one myself. 

Edited by WhiteRecon

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I hated my FDG so much that I decided to sell mine today.  Good riddance to that underwhelming POS.  Worst ship in the German BB line for me (won't be getting the GK now), and I still have all of mine, except this one.  

Pete

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I hated my FDG so much that I decided to sell mine today.  Good riddance to that underwhelming POS.  Worst ship in the German BB line for me (won't be getting the GK now), and I still have all of mine, except this one.  

Pete

Why no GK?  I wasn't going to buy because I thought it was too big and clumsy.  I like it now with the 420s and brawlish attitude.  It's a good trade off between Yammy and Monty - all very different. 

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles
27 minutes ago, WhiteRecon said:

Why no GK?  I wasn't going to buy because I thought it was too big and clumsy.  I like it now with the 420s and brawlish attitude.  It's a good trade off between Yammy and Monty - all very different. 

Hey

For one; I see way to many times in the T9/T10 matches that the High Tier ships just sail around full health at the end of the game not moving 10 ships lengths from our base trying to snipe stuff or it's nothing more than bow in, forwards/backwards without even trying to do anything to cover those actually trying to cap. BORING!.. One of the game mentioned above; I tried at the end to brawl in but noticed we had 3 BB's and 2 cruisers that were all near full health (1 cruiser died trying to give him some credit) and not even trying to contest caps nor trying to do much support other than to sit back and snipe.  Not for me.  Of course the FDG is garbage at doing anything brawling because it can't take punishment for long, especially without any additional support ships around it.  Mine was fully upgraded with 420's but I got tired on seeing 1350 damage x2 for a full broadside, even at medium ranges.  At one point the Bismarck did 20K damage at 18km to my 3k and this happened all the time with this ship, even broadside at 8km or less, I have had crappy results  and it's not like I don't know how to aim or only played the ship a few times, it's just lousy for me.

Pete