You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GX9900A

A mediocre CV players take on the Enterprise

10 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,402 battles

well i bit the bullet and bought the Enterprise as ive been getting back into the USN CV's and liking what ive been playing.

TLDR: its a good ship, that is lots of fun, once you learn to accept your primary damage is dive bombers and how to manually drop them.

My setup - 2/2/2(AP) AGM1, AGM2, AGM3, Defensive AA Mod 1, DCSM2, CSM1.

Captain skills - 1) Servicing Expert, Dog-fighting Expert, Evasive Maneuvers, 2) Expert rear gunner, 3) BFT 4) Air Superiority. (totaling 12/19 points.)

Planned skills -  either CE+ TAE, CE+ PM+ TA, or AFT +TAE.

ill start out with what i hate about this ship. the torpedo bombers. their drop pattern is atrocious. to add even more unnecessary complexity, when you lose bombers, the entire strikes aim gets thrown off forcing you to re-adjust the bombers, as they will now come in at an angle rather then flat on. i DESPISE these torps, and i have gone a couple matches now simply ignoring them, they almost make me wish i had a 303 option instead of the 222. - HOWEVER take what i say with a grain of salt, as your mileage may vary, i prefer manually doping bombs to torps, so my bias may be showing a bit heavily here.

her fighters, i have only run into 1 ship i could not outplay in terms to both damage and fighters, and that was an AS LEX, he simply shut me down almost from the very start of the game. that match i managed to only get 14 plane kills and 16k damage, well below my average of 30 planes and about 50k damage. all in all they are good fighters, with decent speed, lots of ammo, and decent health.

Now i get to her bombers. in my opinion these AP bombers are the best damage units i have ever had in a CV. flat out, these things allow me to accomplish pretty much any mission, even in t10 matches, except hunting DD's. while the lack of DD hunting capability is rather annoying as both the bombs AND the torps are incapable of this mission, they are made up for by the massive damage potential of these bombs, and the ability for my fighters to safetly scout DD's for my team to kill. i wish i could outfit the Ranger with these bombs, but unfortunately for now Enterprise is the only one that has them (that is available).

here is the best game i have had in it so far. 2 destroyed, 105k damage, 21 shot down in a TX match. http://plays.tv/video/59b35d4eb2528d866e/second-game-in-enterprise-all-seemed-click-for-me-in-one-  ignore the background noise, i cant figure out how i get rid of that, and i also cant figure out how to re-enable replays with the new all in one manager for WoWs, as the files are in different places and they are seemingly no longer enabled by default.

all in all i am loving this ship, and will probably be using it for the foreseeable future while i try and get a 19 point captain for my Ranger.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
220 posts
6,387 battles

aaaaaawwww no moneys i want Big E sooo hard >_<

one of the main reasons i started this game

also how long will big E be in the shop ... does anyone know i must know D:

Members
615 posts
7,267 battles

No kidding also, I wanted Big E but my pocket is empty.
Would be nice if she stays in the US Tech Tree like Kaga in the IJN Tech Tree

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
1 hour ago, GX9900A said:

ill start out with what i hate about this ship. the torpedo bombers. their drop pattern is atrocious. to add even more unnecessary complexity, when you lose bombers, the entire strikes aim gets thrown off forcing you to re-adjust the bombers, as they will now come in at an angle rather then flat on. i DESPISE these torps, and i have gone a couple matches now simply ignoring them, they almost make me wish i had a 303 option instead of the 222. - HOWEVER take what i say with a grain of salt, as your mileage may vary, i prefer manually doping bombs to torps, so my bias may be showing a bit heavily here.

Take what I say for what you think it's worth; but don't try to hit a single ship with Enterprise's torpedo bombers; manual drop them yes; but do so in a way the spread overlaps several ships. Think of them perhaps as 'area denial' torpedoes, like wide spreads are used for with ships.

For the same reasons; don't expect any hits, but you may get more than one ship to turn broadside to your allies; and as always, dropping further out (like; autodrop range further out, but with the manual drop's tighter spread,) increases aircraft survivablity. At the same time; don't discount the autodrop for the same reasons; Use the attack adjust tab to overlap several ship with the spread.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
typos

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,487 posts
6,657 battles

A nice review. A have read elsewhere that Enterprise has a steep learning curve, "for experienced CV players", yet you seem to have taken to this ship like a duck to water. Good to see, although I groan a little, yet another Enterprise player, my mortal enemies when playing tier8CVs, the only CV that I fear!

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

Tip for the Enterprise's torpedoes spread the bombers out in a trailing formation with one squad behind the other. 

kinda like this 

|

| 

heading along the direction of travel of your target so that when you turn to attack you have them side by side like this

|  | 

then the torpedo pattern ends up something like this

| |      | |      | |

| |       | |

Which is almost impossible to dodge all of them, although cruisers and destroyers may still slip though. Depending upon angle and when they started their turn. 

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,402 battles
3 hours ago, Grathew said:

Tip for the Enterprise's torpedoes spread the bombers out in a trailing formation with one squad behind the other. 

kinda like this 

|

| 

heading along the direction of travel of your target so that when you turn to attack you have them side by side like this

|  | 

| |      | |      | |

| |       | |

Which is almost impossible to dodge all of them, although cruisers and destroyers may still slip though. Depending upon angle and when they started their turn. 

alright, thanks for the advise, ill try that next time.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,106 posts
11,840 battles

I bought one yesterday for my port.  I'm less than mediocre at this point at T6 IJN/US CV, so it will be locked away for awhile...right next to Saipan LOL.  I should be ready for Saipan at least pretty soon.

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

Maybe I am an oddity here,  but her torpedo bombers do well for me.  Cross dropping is a wonderful thing and generally speaking it spreads this nice little net that very few things get through.  My highest number of hits was nine on an Iowa but typically battleships take between four and six with cruisers taking around three or four.  The dive bombers are just icing on the cake for me and make battleship hunting even more profitable.  Such a fun ship.

Members
2,209 posts
4,051 battles
On 9/9/2017 at 6:19 AM, Grathew said:

kinda like this 

|

| 

|  | 

| |      | |      | |

| |       | |

A stacked shallow cross works good too.

VNnD7a8.jpg

Something like this. 

Also using the first drop to force a turn then the second squadron gets them. 

In addition that shallow cross works great on DDs in smoke or as estimated prophet pointed out targeting groups of ships.