Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Notser: Smoke 6.11 Critique

39 comments in this topic

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
32 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

Hearing him say something fairly sane for once, though I don't watch much. 

he says sain stuff all the time he made one mistake with trying out IFHE on the des moines and now everyone think he is a nut job

Edited by skull_122_steel
I suck at spelling

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,400 battles

he seriously doesent notice the second bloom effect in his rant at 1:43 of the video???? 

there is 2 detection blooms, fairly clearly marked, and hes ranting that there isnt a second bloom effect?

i normal like notser, but he is incorrect here about the bloom effect on the mini-map.

edit, the bloom even says 5km detection on the second bloom....

or is that 5.6? im not entirely sure which one it says.

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,655 battles

If I want to watch some comedy skit I would rather watch John Oliver than Notser rant about mechanics he does not understand. 

• Cool 5

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,084 posts
4,095 battles
14 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

he seriously doesent notice the second bloom effect in his rant at 1:43 of the video???? 

there is 2 detection blooms, fairly clearly marked, and hes ranting that there isnt a second bloom effect?

i normal like notser, but he is incorrect here about the bloom effect on the mini-map.

edit, the bloom even says 5km detection on the second bloom....

or is that 5.6? im not entirely sure which one it says.

That's the detection bloom when firing when detected by aircraft.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,400 battles
24 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

That's the detection bloom when firing when detected by aircraft.

ah, that explains it. i had never seen it before, and it was such a small det circle i assumed it was a second regular det circle.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

I lose brain cells whenever I watch notser's videos.

[OPG]
2,871 posts
10,411 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

His video on Aiming and how to lead are pretty accurate.

You shouldn't use a little clock icon(now removed) to guess lead for a ship. You shouldn't be taking time to use numbers to aim. It's easy enough to aim just by feeling it out.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,912 battles
Just now, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

You shouldn't use a little clock icon(now removed) to guess lead for a ship. You shouldn't be taking time to use numbers to aim. It's easy enough to aim just by feeling it out.

Tell that to every single person who has just started playing this game.

[OPG]
2,871 posts
10,411 battles
Just now, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

Tell that to every single person who has just started playing this game.

When I started playing back in cbt my first battle was in sims on hotspot. I had no issues getting the lead right after a few practice salvos. I didn't even know the numbers meant anything until the beginning of this year.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,912 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

When I started playing back in cbt my first battle was in sims on hotspot. I had no issues getting the lead right after a few practice salvos. I didn't even know the numbers meant anything until the beginning of this year.

I mentioned the rest of the populations.

Not you.

[OPG]
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

I mentioned the rest of the populations.

Not you.

Watching videos on how to aim with the numbers is just giving you a crutch that isn't very reliable. The best thing for all players is to tough it out and learn to feel out how to aim with the guns on each ship.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Watching videos on how to aim with the numbers is just giving you a crutch that isn't very reliable. The best thing for all players is to tough it out and learn to feel out how to aim with the guns on each ship.

And that is how you bring all the new players in, right? Just beat them up like a the new guy in a prison until they learn what to do after the 9th time they break their jaw. Yep, screw the numbers, Noster is an idiot for teaching people how to play the game so they can eventually begin to enjoy it, right? Like, screw Notser, using numbers on a time-to-target aiming system in order to help people enjoy warships and all the non-carrier classes in the game! What a loser for helping people play the game effectively! 

/end_sarcasm = true

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

The seconds to target are very helpful and are actually quite reliable. Especially since they adjust for shell type and ship automatically. You do have to have an Idea how fast the ship you are aiming at is going, which is what you really need to have a feeling for.

[OPG]
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

And that is how you bring all the new players in, right? Just beat them up like a the new guy in a prison until they learn what to do after the 9th time they break their jaw. Yep, screw the numbers, Noster is an idiot for teaching people how to play the game so they can eventually begin to enjoy it, right? Like, screw Notser, using numbers on a time-to-target aiming system in order to help people enjoy warships and all the non-carrier classes in the game! What a loser for helping people play the game effectively! 

/end_sarcasm = true

My issue with him trying to teach people to use numbers is it begins a extremely difficult habit to break.

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles
Just now, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

My issue with him trying to teach people to use numbers is it begins a extremely difficult habit to break.

It's not a bad habit so why break it. Do you use dynamic? I suppose not.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

So what, are you going into cardiac arrest because he teaches people how to play?

No, no you are not. You are alive and well while half the players use numbers and the other half do not.

Give the guy a break man, he tries to do nice things and everyone gives him crapfor it.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,675 posts

Aiming aside, here's what Notser does well. He gives you the setup of his ship, and explains why  he made those choices. Agree or disagree, very helpful to people starting out on how to evaluate setup. Then as he plays the game, he goes through what he is thinking, and why he shoots this guy and not that guy.

And his stream is hilarious.

You may not agree with him or play like him, but there is a lot of value in teaching how to approach the game in a thoughtful manner. I can see how people find his down the line stuff on Twitch, where on Sunday he picks a line and plays every ship in it, useful. 

I can't watch Twitch for  2 hours myself, but if you're new, you could do worse than watching Notser

Edited by Destroyer_Suzukaze
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles

To whom I would say that he is generalizing and stereo typing, and if the shoe fits wear it, if it doesn't he wasn't talking about you. Not every one camps and hides, but a large enough population do to make a stereo type.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

His commentaries are always calm and collected, and are easy to understand and follow. Unlike Flamu for instance, which has a very experienced view of the game, and caters to more experienced players.

Sign in to follow this