You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

How to curb the BB population.

189 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,278 battles

Make BBs not fun to play.

Solved it, everybody can go home now.

But seriously, people play, and are going to play, BBs as long as they are even reasonably fun to play, and historically iconic. By fun, I also mean effective, because being effective is fun.

So there are two ways to curb the BB population. One is to make them less fun by making them less effective. This could by either nerfing BBs or buffing everything that is not a BB to be more effective at fighting BBs.

Alternately they could hard cap the number per game, which i doubt they will do because load times for BB players would be high and cause many people to stop playing...then again the former option would probably cause the same.

This all assumes that you think 5 BBs per team in a battle is way too many, which I personally don't. If a battle has 1 carrier 5 BBs and 6 assorted cruisers/destroyers, that sounds just fine to me. I don't see the problem, but some people seem to really be complaining about it.

Is it fun getting deleted in one salvo? No, but in almost all circumstances that it has happened to me, it was on me to avoid, and I messed up, and I play RN cruisers, you know... the ones that can get cit from any angle. It still amazes me how often cruisers sail full broadside to BBs. That's not BBs being OP that's cruisers being dumb.

People say the BB playstyle breeds bad players, but if that's the case, you are implying that people playing cruisers breeds better players, but that's not the case either.

When a cruiser is played well, there is very little a BB can do about it.

BTW, I have almost a 50/50 split between BBs and cruisers/destroyers.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,883 battles

Can I get in on these 15 ship games?

7 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

If a battle has 1 carrier 5 BBs and 9 assorted cruisers/destroyers

• Cool 2

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles

Translation: Nerf BBs cause they're too useful/popular. In all honesty, you'd have to nerf BBs harder than WG had nerfed the IJN DDs to make BBs less popular, at which everyone will question their continued existence more so than carriers.

The biggest reasons that BBs are so popular in game is that they are historically iconic, and their sheer effectiveness is from the fact that BBs are literally designed for the pitched fleet battles that occur in the game.

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,278 battles
4 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Can I get in on these 15 ship games?

12, idk why i was thinking 15. Is WoT 15?

Either way less than half the ships being BBs is not a problem imo

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

I'm for un-nerfing the IJN DDs. (is un-nerfing a word?) The reason I started on DDs at all is because I got tired of them torping me to death while driving BBs. 

Just a thought... 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
17 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Translation: Nerf BBs cause they're too useful/popular.

Why not?

It's the same excuse people use to justify nerfs on Shimakaze.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,278 battles
2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Why not?

It's the same excuse people use to justify nerfs on Shimakaze.

Walls of torpedoes out of nowhere provide no counter-play.

A good DD/Cruiser can avoid getting one shot by BBs. 

A good BB can't magically predict unavoidable torp walls.

• Cool 1

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,378 battles
34 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

Make BBs not fun to play.

And here I thought you were going to suggest spaying and neutering...

• Cool 2

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles
1 minute ago, Prkl8r said:

A good BB player won't sail in a straight line long enough to get caught by walls of skill.

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,278 battles
1 minute ago, sulghunter331 said:

A good BB player won't sail in a straight line long enough to get caught by walls of skill.

Shimas could make walls that negated even that.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
5 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

Yeah. Not the point. And also not true because you don't even have to predict it to avoid it.

It's so easy to avoid that you can do it on accident.

Just now, Prkl8r said:

15999831.gif

Spoken like someone who's never played tier 6+ IJN.

Edited by AraAragami

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles
Just now, Prkl8r said:

And then have a spread so wide that he'd be lucky to get more then one hit on the BB. Although, with such a wide spread, I guess the Shima is bound to hit more than one potato.

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
916 posts
18,040 battles

As a dd driver.....please leave the bb's alone.  They are my breakfast, my lunch and my dinner.  Honestly, there's nothing more fun than watching your torps go off in stealth mode and delete the big bad boys.

The really good BB drivers though know what zig zag courses are and use them wisely.  I played cat and mouse with a Tirpitz (the last BB in the game for the enemy) today with 8 minutes to go and he never stayed on a straight course long enough for me to get him.  6 minutes of stealth mode with this guy and got 1 torp hit near the end.  Damn good BB driver.  Wish I could remember his name I'd mention it and give him a shout out.  This is what i love about DD's and good bb drivers....makes the game a helluva lot of fun.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

10 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

My Bismarck disagrees. I have many times pulled torpedo beats on shimas.

So I'm just going to say:

e9ICher.jpg

I mean I do love the hypocrisy. BB wrecks a ship in a single salvo you have leet mad skillz! Drop someone with torps "cowardly B.S hax!"

• Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
1,620 posts
4,887 battles

Ok, I am not necessarily a BB player (about 29% of my games are in BB's) but when you look at it historically, it's not the BB's that are OP, it's the cruisers and DD's which have that honor.  

Think of all the times in history that a cruiser went gun to gun with a battleship and burned it to the waterline, or about how many BB's were actually finally killed by a DD's mighty 4 inch gun. 

Actually, get out the plans for a BB and find any place where the guns or a cruiser has even an outside chance of penetrating anything which is going to cause the BB to visit Davey Jone's locker.  

And how about the bane of a Battleship's existence, those little menaces, the destroyer, with their everlasting supply of torpedo's.  

Let's just be real here. In order to give destroyer and cruisers a chance against a BB, they have had to seriously buff these ships while at the same time nerffing the battleship's protective scheme 

Battleship players who have a desire for a dose of reality when they are playing this game have every reason to be less than happy with how effective cruisers and particularly, destroyers are against them.

Now, if you wanted a bit of realism injected into BB game play, you should probably take a page from the Heavy Cruiser Norfolk and the Light Cruisers Belfast and Sheffield and their engagement against the German Battleship Scharnhorst in the opening phases of the battle of North Cape.  

In this battle, these cruisers managed to drive the Scharnhorst away from the convoy for which they were providing close cover.  They didn't do it by setting the Scharnhorst on fire, nor did they close to torpedo range and deliver and Alpha strike.  Instead, their 8 inch and 6 inch guns worked over the Scharnhorst and destroyed her radar which left her dumb and blind in the middle of a North Atlantic snowstorm. With her eyes taken away, she was unable to detect the approach of the UK BB Duke of York which opened fire on her and in one of her first salvos, disabled both of the forward turrets, cutting Scharnhorst's firepower by 2/3rds 

This is reasonably what cruiser gunfire can do to a battleship at anything but point blank range.  They can batter all the systems which are not so well protected, degrade the battleships ability to see, aim or fire their weapons and be aware of the environment around it making it easy prey for friendly battleships which actually do have the heavy caliber shells necessary to breach her armor.

WOWS decided not to take this route so they created fire and the all you can fire torpedo buffet that battleships in the game face, but which their real life counterparts did not. 

At a certain point, a game like this one will begin to lose players who came to actually get to drive theses vessels and fight with them.  The more the game becomes like Laser Armed Scuba Hamsters fighting Nuclear Parachute Toads, the more of these players your going to lose. So just keep that in mind when cruiser and dd players go the "BB's are OP" chant because in reality, it's the BB's who are on the short end of the stick when compared to reality. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 2

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
3 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

My Bismarck disagrees. I have many times pulled torpedo beats on shimas.

So I'm just going to say:

I mean I do love the hypocrisy. BB wrecks a ship in a single salvo you have leet mad skillz! Drop someone with torps "cowardly B.S hax!"

was that you in battle wed evening? 3 full salvos (shima) one torp hit from min detection range. did better vs the kurfust.

4 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Ok, I am not necessarily a BB player (about 29% of my games are in BB's) but when you look at it historically, it's not the BB's that are OP, it's the cruisers and DD's which have that honor.  

Think of all the times in history that a cruiser went gun to gun in a battleship and burned it to the waterline, or about how many BB's were actually finally killed by a DD's 4 inch gun. 

Actually, get out the plans for a BB and find any place where the guns or any cruiser has even an outside chance of penetrating anything which is going to cause the BB to visit Davey Jone's locker.  

And how about the bane of a Battleship's existence, those little menaces, the destroyer, with their everlasting supply of torpedo's.  

Let's just be real here. In order to give destroyer and cruisers a chance against a BB, they have had to seriously buff these ships while at the same time nerffing the battleship's protective scheme 

Battleship players who have a desire for a dose of reality when they are playing this game have every reason to be less than happy with how effective cruisers and particularly, destroyers are against them.

Now, if you wanted a bit of realism injected into BB game play, you should probably take a page from the Heavy Cruiser Norfolk and the Light Cruisers Belfast and Sheffield and their engagement against the German Battleship Scharnhorst in the opening phases of the battle of North Cape.  

In this battle, these cruisers managed to drive the Scharnhorst away from the convoy for which they were providing close cover.  They didn't do it by setting the Scharnhorst on fire, nor did the close to torpedo range and deliver and Alpha strike.  Instead, their 8 inch and 6 inch guns worked over the Scharnhorst and destroyed her radar which left her dumb and blind in the middle of a North Atlantic snowstorm. Without her eyes taken away, she was unable to detect the approach of the UK BB Duke of York which opened fire on her and in one of her first salvos, disabled both of the forward turrets, cutting Scharnhorst's firepower by 2/3rds 

This is reasonably what cruiser gunfire can do to a battleship at anything but point blank range.  They can batter all the system which are not so well detected, degrade the battleships ability to see and be aware of the environment around it making it easy prey for friendly battleships which actually do have the heavy caliber shells necessary to actually breach her armor.

WOWS decided not to take this route so they created fire and the all you can fire torpedo buffet that battleships in the game face, but which their real life counterparts did not. 

At a certain point, a game like this one will begin to lose players who came to actually get to drive theses vessels and fight with them.  The more the game becomes like Laser Armed Scuba Hamsters fighting Nuclear Parachute Toads, the more of these players your going to lose. So just keep that in mind when cruiser and dd players go the "BB's are OP" chant because in reality, it's the BB's who are on the short end of the stick when compared to reality. 

I want one of those laser armed scuba hamsters. do they come with radar? sonar? where can I get one??

• Cool 1

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
3 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

was that you in battle wed evening? 3 full salvos (shima) one torp hit from min detection range. did better vs the kurfust.

I want one of those laser armed scuba hamsters. do they come with radar? sonar? where can I get one??

Noo. This was months ago. Even a video on YouTube. Though that guy in the shima, I honestly don't think he could of hit water even if he fell out of a freaking boat.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
13 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

So just keep that in mind when cruiser and dd players go the "BB's are OP" chant because in reality, it's the BB's who are on the short end of the stick when compared to reality. 

Yeah that's why so many battleships saw such heavy action in all battles of the war, right?

Oh, wait

the opposite of that is what happened.

Edited by AraAragami

Members
2,278 posts
7,378 battles

Players just like BBs. Many players (me included) came to this game due to the BBs. They were some of the best and most beautifull ships ever maid, but we saw very few actions with BBs IRL. 

The game allows us the play battles that BBs were designed to. 

• Cool 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,883 battles
21 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

A good BB can't magically predict unavoidable torp walls

Anyone want to take a guess at time-to-target for 65knot torpedoes at 10km versus battleship guns?  

IMG_4809.JPG.42e529cc555da32ff1621f01a0d0332f.JPG

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
1 minute ago, _V12 said:

Anyone want to take a guess at time-to-target for 65knot torpedoes at 10km versus battleship guns?  

Shimakaze's 12km torpedoes with Torpedo Acceleration take about 70-80 seconds to reach 9.6km. Over a minute, close to a minute and a half. I've never timed it so understand this is an estimation.

Yamato's guns will hit 10km in under 5 seconds.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

Yeah that's why so many battleships saw such heavy action in all battles of the war, right?

I mean, Yamato, Iowa, Missouri, Bismarck, Roma, they all have such long war records with lots of battles to their names and every one of them sank dozens of cruisers and destroyers in numerous engagements.

or wait

the opposite of that is what happened.

Iowa and her sisters mostly did shore bombardment. Only USN BBs that really saw gun to gun action were: Pearl Harbor Survivors, North Carolina, South Dakota(though she was taken out of said action early) and I guess you could count Alabama.

About it. For all the nerdgasms on the Iowa class, they really didn't contribute sh** to WW2.

• Cool 1