You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

That other Russian video game developer...

20 comments in this topic

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Yup, Gaijin, the people who make War Thunder. Now, while Russian bias in WoWS is not so clear cut to be unquestionable, from what I've heard, it runs rampant in War Thunder. I don't want to Google all the threads or complaints, but for the people who actually played War Thunder, what are some of the reasons given for rampant Russian bias in that game? What are some particularly egregious examples?

On a side note, apparently War Thunder seems to be moving more and more into the later stages of the Cold War, especially with the T-64A and MBT-70 getting added to the game. Maybe jokes of Maus vs. Abrams won't be a joke for much longer...

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,404 posts

I'm a veteran of their shenanigans... and surviving.
So, they have two development teams, one for Russian vehicles, one for everything else... and they don't communicate.

• Cool 3

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,249 battles
31 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

So, they have two development teams, one for Russian vehicles, one for everything else... and they don't communicate.

I couldn't tell if that was satire or not...

Please tell me that's not actually true. lel

Members
1,145 posts
4,218 battles
48 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

It sounds outlandish

But having been with Gaijin for awhile, it doesn't sound too far off lol

[HINON]
Supertester
18,993 posts
12,488 battles
27 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Please tell me that's not actually true. lel

It's basically true.

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Same, it was also the hell that Japan got, repair costs poor MM and BR things like that drove me away from them.

Members
4,750 posts
5,482 battles
5 minutes ago, devastator5000 said:

Same, it was also the hell that Japan got, repair costs poor MM and BR things like that drove me away from them.

Yeah, last time I played(which was a long time ago) the zeros were way over tiered. I don't doubt that it was never addressed.

[SOUP]
7,404 posts
27 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Can't wait until they come out with boats.

FTFY

[SOUP]
7,404 posts
6 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Thought so.. :Smile_teethhappy:

Largest boat they have is a destroyer. So by weight and length, it's World of Boats.
But hey, if you wanna keep sucking up to an inferior product, then by all means, go have fun. Just make sure you wipe your feet and wash before coming back here

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
7 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Largest boat they have is a destroyer. So by weight and length, it's World of Boats.
But hey, if you wanna keep sucking up to an inferior product, then by all means, go have fun. Just make sure you wipe your feet and wash before coming back here

Will do, thanks for playing. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[TASH]
Members
4,996 posts
7,925 battles

Some of the Russian bias complaints, at least when it comes to Russian vehicles, are a bit overhyped.  For example, the T-34-100.  It has an excellent gun, but its armor is the same as other T-34s, which start appearing at BR 3.3 - less than half the BR of the T-34-100 (which has 6.7).  That armor is good for Rank II, but by no means "point your front forwards and watch everything bounce" good even against other 3.3 tanks.  Yet people still complain the thing is OP because they get sniped from the side by its gun or rush it head-on without angling their armor.  The Yak-9T and Yak-9K are another pair of examples: sure, those cannons are devastating, but they have massive dispersion, small clip, and low rate of fire.  Moreover, both aforementioned versions of the Yak-9 have poor performance compared to other same-tier fighters: no supercharger, modest power/weight ratio, average agility, and, once those big cannons are out of ammo, they have only a single 12.7mm machine gun to fall back on.  As long as you're not rushing head-on at a Yak-9T/K without juking at all, or flying in a completely-straight line while one is on your six, you have very little to fear from one unless Gaijin's stupid pilot-sniping mechanics kick in.

On the other hand, there are some complaints that are legitimate.  The Po-2 for one: despite being a wood-and-canvas biplane, people in custom battles have routinely survived rams with jets, bombers, and just about anything else that should turn it into toothpicks in a real-world collision.  And there's always the infamous Tu-4: despite having engines that were at best comparable to the B-29's powerplant, it has higher top speed, greater payload, and better performance characteristics.  That wouldn't be so bad on its own given that the Tu-4 has a higher BR than the B-29, but the historical defensive armament of 10 NS-23 cannons pushes it into stupid territory.  Yes, the NS-23 hit harder and shot further than the M2 in reality, but the difference in-game is night and day thanks to Gaijin's MG nerfs.  Too many things in WT seem to favor the Russians and/or slight other nations.

Beta Testers
9,055 posts

Not enjoying the Russian bias, especially when my T-34 gets knocked out by 88mm Flak buses.  They only nerfed the 88mm by raising its BR after many months from 3.7 to 4.0?  

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,851 posts
4,224 battles
9 hours ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

On the other hand, there are some complaints that are legitimate.  The Po-2 for one: despite being a wood-and-canvas biplane, people in custom battles have routinely survived rams with jets, bombers, and just about anything else that should turn it into toothpicks in a real-world collision.  And there's always the infamous Tu-4: despite having engines that were at best comparable to the B-29's powerplant, it has higher top speed, greater payload, and better performance characteristics.  That wouldn't be so bad on its own given that the Tu-4 has a higher BR than the B-29, but the historical defensive armament of 10 NS-23 cannons pushes it into stupid territory.  Yes, the NS-23 hit harder and shot further than the M2 in reality, but the difference in-game is night and day thanks to Gaijin's MG nerfs.  Too many things in WT seem to favor the Russians and/or slight other nations.

Don't forget the IT-1.

You know, 'cause Germany, America, and England can only get guided missiles on thinly-armored tank-destroyer or light-tank chassis, and missile-guidance is WASD key-based, which means no moving while firing.

But Russia? Russia gets a heavily-angled and heavily-armored medium-tank chassis with a turret so low it's basically the Russian T10 Light from WoT, and you only have to move your mouse to change the aim of the missile, so you can fire while moving.

We all know that the only reason Gaijin didn't do large naval battles was because Russia did not have a lot of large warships.

[TASH]
Members
4,996 posts
7,925 battles
3 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Don't forget the IT-1.

You know, 'cause Germany, America, and England can only get guided missiles on thinly-armored tank-destroyer or light-tank chassis, and missile-guidance is WASD key-based, which means no moving while firing.

But Russia? Russia gets a heavily-angled and heavily-armored medium-tank chassis with a turret so low it's basically the Russian T10 Light from WoT, and you only have to move your mouse to change the aim of the missile, so you can fire while moving.

Haven't gone far enough up the tank lines to discover that one.  I only know about the T-34-100 because I got it as a login reward: my highest tech-tree tank is the ASU-57.

Beta Testers
9,055 posts
14 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Don't forget the IT-1.

We all know that the only reason Gaijin didn't do large naval battles was because Russia did not have a lot of large warships.

When it comes to naval battles, the Russians got the weakest destroyer: the Project 7U.  Its not a class currently present in WoWs despite being actual ships with a combat record.  What it is, is a Project 7 like the Gnenvy, Anshan and Gremyaschy, but has the double funnel layout and boilers you see on the Ognevoi.  On the other hand, the Japanese got the Yugumo, the British got the Tribals, the Germans the Type 1936 (Z32 in WoWs), and the US the Fletcher.

Strangely enough, the shells from the Fletcher don't look as flighty in WT than they are on WoWs.

Edited by Eisennagel

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,141 battles

Ah that game. I was used to my bf 109s always winning in IL2, and then the magical russian yaks with boom boom large cannons and glorious la 5 and 7  that can outclimb and do everything made me realize there was no reason to fly a german plane.