Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Goozombies

Free EXP to Hindenburg?

43 comments in this topic

[CDOGS]
Members
163 posts
5,311 battles

So I have 180k exp on my Roon and 68k in free exp Should I spend most of it to get the Hindenburg? Or should I just grind the remaining 60k.

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,365 battles

Roon is wonderful, why would you skip it?

(Seriously, I love mine, I'm about 8K from Hindenburg, and I'm looking forward to those last few battles until I unlock her.  Then, I'm going to keep the Roon anyway.)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
377 posts
6,035 battles

Personally would save the freeXP to unlock modules on the Hinden..rather than freeXP the last of the Roon unless you've come to hate playing the Roon,

i thought about the same when nearing the end of the grind on the Pensi..but in the end ended up enjoying  the last 20k on the pensa...well at least more than the first 20k..but i would understand if people wanted out of that citadel machine (both giving and receiving!)

But as a general rule...i save FreeXP for moduies..so i dont have to play new ships stock.

.  :)

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,712 posts
7,354 battles

I never free xp to a ship unless I also have the free xp to get the most important modules as well. Keep grinding, shouldn't take long. Hindy is worth the wait.

Beta Testers
377 posts
6,035 battles
10 minutes ago, Goozombies said:

But...T10s don't have modules to research...which is why I'm asking. Also, it's my first T10 ship.

Sadly some do..but youre right about Hindy...

but again...personally save Free XP to unlock modules...

Big question is...do you not like the Roon?

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

There is some times ya just want to get there....I love my Hindy, it is a great ship, and if it is your first tier 10, sounds like a great plan... you can always earn more free exp in the future and that 9 to 10 grind is long, game is to enjoy and I have to say the Hindy is one one the best tier 10 ships

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

If you enjoy Roon, the grind will go by pretty quickly.

Members
247 posts
11,858 battles

I'm with the others here, hold onto your free xp for some other future use, the Roon was a fine ship to play through.

[B2P]
Members
488 posts
13,189 battles

I was actually a little bit sad when I finished my grind to the Hindy.  Love the Roon, and knew once I got the Hindy I would probably not be playing it as much.  And that is exactly what is happening, though I don't regret it... much.  Trying to grind that captain now to 19 pts, though the Roon's captain is almost as close.

Members
18 posts
2,274 battles

The Roon is my favorite ship so far. I am right there with you, about 40,000 EXP left until I unlock the Hindi myself. I'm going to keep pushing even though I have the free XP to unlock right now, my captain is level 18 and getting close to that 19 mark. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I zeroed my Free XP for Missouri, but am back up to 30k.  Now I'm saving for Nelson.

I wouldn't use Free XP to finish a ship unless it was just horribad.  My recommendation is to save it for a Free XP premium, or to upgrade a stock ship.  

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I have the Roon and love playing it so I would not use XP to get it.  Keep in mind there substantial credit hit you will take also.  That being said:  I have thought about using XP to go past the German DD T22, which I don't like.

Pete

Members
37 posts
6,178 battles

I made the mistake of XPing into the Roon and with nothing left to upgrade modules, was relegated to a stock ship for an unbearable amount of time.  I really hated the Roon at that time, but now that I have hulls and guns where they need to be, love the Roon. I'm about 5mil from the Hindenburg and I'm doing as others said....just grind out and use XP for improvements.  I did drop a little XP to get my Roon capt to 19pts.......my first one.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,334 battles
25 minutes ago, P2gee said:

I made the mistake of XPing into the Roon and with nothing left to upgrade modules, was relegated to a stock ship for an unbearable amount of time.  I really hated the Roon at that time, but now that I have hulls and guns where they need to be, love the Roon. I'm about 5mil from the Hindenburg and I'm doing as others said....just grind out and use XP for improvements.  I did drop a little XP to get my Roon capt to 19pts.......my first one.

I always use my free XP on the upgrades, never to get the ship.

The difference between a stock ship and an upgraded one can be huge!

Members
3,623 posts
13,419 battles

Roon's a good ship. I had fun grinding through her, even with the massive DD torp spams at high tier. However, once I got Hindenberg I never played Roon again.

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
4,714 battles
On 9/8/2017 at 2:25 PM, Goozombies said:

But...T10s don't have modules to research...which is why I'm asking. Also, it's my first T10 ship.

Do what you want. I personally free xp'd pass the roon with 70k xp. While I found the Roon ok, I love the Hindenburg much more. 

[NASTY]
Beta Testers
493 posts
3,960 battles
On 9/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, Korval_BB55 said:

Roon is wonderful, why would you skip it?

(Seriously, I love mine, I'm about 8K from Hindenburg, and I'm looking forward to those last few battles until I unlock her.  Then, I'm going to keep the Roon anyway.)

Indeed, Roon is an absolute joy to play.  I would heartily recommend continuing the grind!

[DRACS]
Members
3,339 posts

Roon is a solid ship ... BUT ...

I too had troubles with the Roon simply because I found her boring. Her rate of fire and her ability to bait long range fire is amazing. Roon's problem is she is best at either running away or long range shelling, but she suffers when it comes to brawling or charging a target due to having only a single forward facing turret and only four torpedoes to a side, compared to the six on Hipper/Eugen and the eight on Hindenburg. So I myself did indeed free XP past her after having played her a while simply because I was just bored. Playing Roon felt more like I was playing a russian long range spammer than the brawling monsters that Hipper and Hindy can be due to their armor layout, torpedoes, and significantly better AP penetration up close.

All that being said, whether you free XP or not, Hindy is absolutely a worthy prize. She is by far my favorite ship in the game, and that's saying something from someone who has spent most of his WoWS career being a battleship main. Advice: Grab CE on her captain, but use the propulsion mod + the 40% rudder shift mod on her rather than the concealment mod. Makes that ship MUCH more agile than most people think she can be.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[-GPS-]
Members
2,516 posts
24,548 battles
On 9/8/2017 at 2:25 PM, Goozombies said:

Some Tier 10s do have modules. I got aggravated the other day when I got Grozovoi only to discover I needed to use Free XP to go from 8 km to 10 km torps. I wasn't going to play that DD with 8 km torps. 

However, Hindenburg doesn't require any modules. 

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,136 battles

I didn't enjoy any of the German cruisers until I got the Hipper.  Enjoyed my time in that boat tremendously.  Enjoying the Roon even more now.  Will sell it with a heavy heart but the Hindy is worth the grind.

Edited by Chuck_Wiggles

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I liked the German line except Karl (which was OK, somewhat) and the Yorck (it needs some love but has good potential).  Hipper/Prinz Eugen needs a slight ROF buff but generally pretty decent, Roon is an absolute blast to play, I love this ship.  I don't have Hindy yet but it sounds very good.  In general. I like the German cruiser line, her AP later is very strong.

Pete

Sign in to follow this