You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

300! -200- (100) battles in my Graf Zeppelin

25 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles

The following is in no way intended as either criticism or praise, as objective or polemical. Some people may feel offended, others may laugh and think, what an idiot!

100 random pvp battles in the Graf Zeppelin (premium shop version limited edition which was sold for a brief moment at the end of August 2017). 

shot-17_09.08_18_23.27-0891.thumb.jpg.47e66fec45134af7487b04d938b4549d.jpg

First of all, I have enjoyed these 100 battles (well most of them), probably more than any other warship of WOWS, and this despite everything. Perhaps because of the challenge, or perhaps because I felt I was doing well. (For comparison, look to the right of the image to see results with Saipan and Lexington).

personal and subjective conclusions after these battles :

• 'August 2017' GZ has a fluid sense of play, with a manageable tempo of sorties and strikes.
  • Fighters are weak, but sensible usage, avoiding dogfighting, preferring to save them for scouting and strafing opportunities, means they are often sufficient 
  • HE divebombers are versatile, capable of dealing out pain in regular waves
  • AP divebombers are not useable in pvp, to be avoided
  • Having little experience with IJN CVs and their heavy reliance on torpedoes, I don't miss them (cue : outrage, "How dare he? Call the cops, a pervert, he doesn't like torpedoes!").
  • Average damage per game is low in comparison to its peers (Lexington, Shokaku and Enterprise), but this is compensated by its tactical adaptability, and ability to maintain a quite fast strike rotation (take off, attack, return and rearm)
  • Kills with the secondaries are rare, but when they happen they are quite epic and supremely enjoyable, I have on record, sunk 2 destroyers, a cruiser and 2 battleshipwith the secondaries alone.
  • WG should offer existing owners the right to permanently own a collectors edition Graf Zeppelin, 'August 2017' version alongside the future in development new 'improved' version if there are major changes
  • Anyone who spends so much time playing this CV, and spends so much time on forum talking about it, is probably a masochist.
  • When replaced by the future reworked edition, the 'August 2017' Graf Zeppelin will be missed by few, but those who do will miss it dearly/

please keep replies to this thread on topic, avoid polemic and keep it good natured.

• Cool 5

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,837 battles
19 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

100 random pvp battles in the Graf Zeppelin (premium shop version limited edition which was sold for a brief moment at the end of August 2017). 

• Anyone who spends so much time playing this CV, and spends so much time on forum talking about it, is probably a masochist.

This explains a lot...... 

Either way good work, I should start playing the Graf again. I've lost my touch with the AP bombs anyway.... I guess it is time to

keep-calm-and-continue-testing-221.png

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,072 posts
7,618 battles

Great review!  Also...

24 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Having little experience with IJN CVs and their heavy reliance on torpedoes, I don't miss them (cue : outrage, "How dare he? Call the cops, a pervert, he doesn't like torpedoes!").

YIwyFjy.png

• Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
17 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Anyone who spends so much time playing this CV, and spends so much time on forum talking about it, is probably a masochist.

"Hit me!" said the masochist.

The sadist pauses, and says "No."

I like the added dimension of CVs in the game, even when I get clobbered by them in BBs routinely. Although I don't play them (yet) because of intimidation with all the micro-management I suppose, I admire those who do well in them.

This is an interesting post and congrats on defying all the deniers who were screaming bloody murder when Graf Zeppelin came out (+1 for you). This confirms my own feelings about the unique synergy that is created between a particular player and ship. I've bombed on ships everyone raves about and, like you, done rather well on ships that are abhorred. There's no accounting for it.

Which is as it should be.

• Cool 2

[OPG]
Supertester
1,888 posts
10,022 battles

Good on you for doing testing for the ship.  

While I don't as much care how weak the ship may or may not be, I am still quite annoyed that someone at WG actually attempted to defraud us as customers by claiming the ship had finished testing phase when their own development team admitted that they never reported such, and that the ship was completed when the devs stated that it is supposed to have the special deep water torps, which are not yet complete.  

Still in testing, does not mean done with testing, and main component not complete does not mean ship is complete.  The WG attempt to claim both to the contrary are what we should all be angry about, not how UP the ship may or may not be.

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 1

Members
1,072 posts
6,148 battles

If I knew squat about playing CV's, I would have bought it when it came out, just based on the wow factor. It could be a total dud and I wouldn't know the difference.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles
2 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

If I knew squat about playing CV's, I would have bought it when it came out, just based on the wow factor. It could be a total dud and I wouldn't know the difference.

How do you know me so well? Dammit, a mindreader!

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles
33 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

"Hit me!" said the masochist.

The sadist pauses, and says "No."

I like the added dimension of CVs in the game, even when I get clobbered by them in BBs routinely. Although I don't play them (yet) because of intimidation with all the micro-management I suppose, I admire those who do well in them.

(...)

Once you start, you just can't stop, it's like a drug, a game within the game, leather with spandex ... stop, I didn't say that!

[O_S_D]
Members
40 posts
9,512 battles

I have one as well and must admit, it's my favourite CV right now.

Why? Because it is so different than the IJN & USN line.

This is the only CV I play that I prefer to be a bottom tier CV. It actually performs great in tier 10 battles, as it has the fastest fighters (able to scout and get away), and it's DB's are very effective vs DD's (which is all you can really attack in the early stages of a tier 10 battle because cruiser & battleship AA are deadly).

Plus, I couldn't resist and took 9.4 secondaries for pure laughs. (love it when a dd comes my way to get DB'd and shot at, as there is no escape from the GZ for dd's)

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
299 posts
5,019 battles

Graf zepplin is awesome at killing dds and that alone allows me to play it, get [edited] by air superiorty builds and laugh.. but as long as dd players are crying i am happy to use my tears mug and drink away.

and they took away torpedo bombers because it was bad for dd players.....yet here i am with dive bombers harassing them just as much

• Cool 2

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,103 battles

File this article under :Making peace with Mediocrity: a captains late night tale to his kiddies.

2/3/0..YEAH woulda bought her in an instant...(and you can rework some of the alpha/sigma on these to NOt make them OP)

2/0/3? WG now I m SURE you are phucking with everyone....

Edited by drakoolia

[PS1HD]
Members
55 posts
1,490 battles

Hey :)
just wanted to say that you are not alone in enjoying this ship (and I wanted to add my 2 cents). 
To start, no I have not played my 100 battles just yet, but I am at 89 and it definitely is my favorite tier 8 CV.

59b82ed6a1197_GZ89Battles.thumb.PNG.fce6d603e893859fe3c1048a9c54f308.PNG

Just some additional thoughts to add to this:

-> for the most part, I only play CVs and despite people saying how bad the GZ is, it is my best CV (highest win ratio *excluding enterprise which I have not fully tested yet...)

-> I have gotten a kraken and a clear sky against AS lexingtons, shokakus, and enterprises; and to be honest, the only match up that really sucks is going against the AS shokaku which is so out of the current meta that I have only seen it once since I started playing the GZ.

59b82f84e7c9d_GZKrackenClearsky140k.thumb.PNG.6853a4c89454a98413fc97bcaa6fa32d.PNG

59b82f8c7273d_doublestrike.thumb.PNG.dcb94f586ae821ec56b1c0620a7c98f9.PNG

Overall, you will see that my average damage is about 73k, so why is that. The GZ does not do well against AA and in order to use it to the best of its ability its better to layer the strikes. If you get the timing right you can strike the same ship every 30 seconds which means getting 3-4 fires every minute. If an enemy is alone it becomes a target (and guess what, DDs are usually alone).

PS: as this is my favorite CV :) If anyone wants help playing it please feel free to message me

• Cool 1

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,103 battles
24 minutes ago, Ascinius said:

just wanted to say that you are not alone in enjoying this ship (and I wanted to add my 2 cents). 
To start, no I have not played my 100 battles just yet, but I am at 89 and it definitely is my favorite tier 8 CV.

-> for the most part, I only play CVs and despite people saying how bad the GZ is, it is my best CV (highest win ratio *excluding enterprise which I have not fully tested yet...)

-> I have gotten a kraken and a clear sky against AS lexingtons, shokakus, and enterprises; and to be honest, the only match up that really sucks is going against the AS shokaku which is so out of the current meta that I have only seen it once since I started playing the GZ.

59b82f84e7c9d_GZKrackenClearsky140k.thumb.PNG.6853a4c89454a98413fc97bcaa6fa32d.PNG

Overall, you will see that my average damage is about 73k, so why is that. The GZ does not do well against AA and in order to use it to the best of its ability its better to layer the strikes. If you get the timing right you can strike the same ship every 30 seconds which means getting 3-4 fires every minute. If an enemy is alone it becomes a target (and guess what, DDs are usually alone).

PS: as this is my favorite CV :) If anyone wants help playing it please feel free to message me

NO...NO..no>>no>>NO U guys MUST stop posting these Current POSITIVE attitudes to this SHIP..or they will SAY..SEE look @ these results...Graf Zep is just fine..CHARGE 70 bux for her..PLEASE STOP!!!!

[PS1HD]
Members
55 posts
1,490 battles

6 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

NO...NO..no>>no>>NO U guys MUST stop posting these Current POSITIVE attitudes to this SHIP..or they will SAY..SEE look @ these results...Graf Zep is just fine..CHARGE 70 bux for her..PLEASE STOP!!!!

Here is the truth, parts of her are ready. Her AP bombs are useless, so no, she is not ready to be released. Yet, at the same time. WG was right her HE bombs are viable and can be used competitively and if you don't like that then simply don't buy her :)

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles
37 minutes ago, Ascinius said:

You are a much better CV driver than I, and it shows!!

Well done:=) (both for results and having fun)

But I am still waiting to read the thoughts of those who bought, played and still hate their GZ on this forum. But those who didn't buy it,.... (I need earplugs.) I love GZ to bits, despite her faults. 

I look forward to the upcoming topic, "100 battles in my Graf Zeppelin" by Ascinius :=)

• Cool 1

Members
64 posts

Admit it, you were using secret German wonder weapons on your GZ.....perhaps, dare I say, irradiated bratwurst. 

Edited by Talos3567

[WOLF3]
Members
377 posts
3,997 battles

I have finished with GZ in Co-Op and now feel confident enough with her to start taking her into pvp. We shall see now how I do.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles
2 hours ago, Ascinius said:

59c17200a1359_LesGo.thumb.PNG.d6371cce2bb800530bedc87b7c93851a.PNG

So.... this just happened xD

Wow! Major achiev, nice:)

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles

I bought the boat, played a few battles but as noted I found the AP bombs totally broken.  Even on the test version I still do and the why is the ridiculous delay between the planes actual attack and impact.  When the planes do their dive attack, the delay between the pull up and impact should be exactly the same as for other DBs because gravity is 9.8 ms/s for all falling objects (thank you Sir Isaac).  That's the problem, and that I'm fairly they bug out and fail to explode a lot (like torps launched too close).  I've had numerous solid drops that produced not a single hit of 18 planes yet the drop zone was fully inside the target ship the entire time (the most egregious being a camper that ran aground).

The HE bombs are ok, but not much better or worse than others in alpha though maybe better at cap resetting with splash.

The fighters, meh, against players and captains of equal skill it's left wanting.  Strafe works when it works, but honestly it's a fantasy mechanic that needs to be changed.   Strafing should be a fighter attack vs ships, possibly good damage on a DD or CL, destroying AA guns, torps, open turret primaries/secondaries and starting fires.

I've yet to have anyone get in range of the secondaries.  Usually if it gets to gunnery the other players stay out of range.  I recall a year or more ago getting close to a Zuiho in a DD and already having been damaged, succumbed to its secondaries.  Smart players won't get that close to a higher tier CV with cruiser guns.

Edited by Saxxonknight

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles

200 battles in the Graf Zeppelin, update! (as the main thread regarding GZ has been closed, back here for now!)

shot-17_09.30_09_52.32-0032.thumb.jpg.ac

shot-17_09.30_09_52.35-0234.thumb.jpg.99

also enjoyed that rarest of WOWS delicacies yesterday, a battle between two vanilla release Graf Zeps!

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles

Now about to attempt my 300th battle in GZ vanilla to see how it holds up in light of the latest CV changes, if lucky this will be versus a Lexingon, but in any case, the versatiliy of the lazer accurate HE bombs will be useful versus the new pesky generation of PA dds!

There will not be many more GZ vanilla battles, as testing of the new reworked GZ has been completed (according to WG), so this will be a sad farewell from me, and possibly a moment of joy for others..:Smile-angry:

I would like to think @Pigeon_of_War or @Sub_Octavian spared a moment to read the OP, but I have doubts..

Spoiler

a less than inspiring 300th battle.

shot-17_11.30_00_20.40-0417.thumb.jpg.41f9d1c2a71e75193a506691df12723f.jpg

means I need one more!.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,564 posts
6,713 battles

Well, it took a few more battles that I expected to get a good one! (303) Very close, Shokaku hammered my fighters..

shot-17_11.30_01_04.52-0282.thumb.jpg.9bc78c92bcc936fb28ae60b4684b3d7a.jpgshot-17_11.30_01_04.54-0715.thumb.jpg.be645e72b6a78484a6791cd6e69c15b0.jpg