You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kitsunelegend

Thinking of giving the Iowa another try...

16 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

So yeah...thinking of giving her another try soon. Last time I gave her a go, it was before the citadel re-work, and I had found the experience to be... extremely off putting to the point of me pretty much swearing off high tier gameplay as a whole... She played so much differently than North Carolina or the other mid-tiers like my baby the Arizona. She felt really clunky and she couldn't seem to take a beating at all. Not to mention her play style from what I could tell was all about that bow on island camping that alone just... really ticked me off (I DISPISE stagnant gameplay, which is why I enjoy lower to mid tier gameplay far more) so she just ended up getting put up in drydock as a perma port queen...

But since I've decided to start really working towards my first 19pt captain (yes yes, I know. I've been faffing about and only now am worried about it) I've thought about maybe giving her another go...see how she is now, and see if I can play a little more like the mid tier USN BBs. I'm not looking or expecting to be the best, but I at least just want to have fun and be able to contribute to the match.

But heres the thing, I need help with this. I need tips and tricks and basically just someone to teach me how to play her as they would a new player. I have at best a handful of matches in her, not counting co-op, so I'm still getting used to her guns and rudder shift (which isn't as bad as I remember). At the same time, I somewhat under the basics. Proper angling, making sure not to push too far ahead until the right time, dont get yourself out of position ect ect.

So yeah! Teach me senpais! Teach this kitsune how to play the mighty Iowa!

(and no, please do not link me to any youtube videos of notser, ichace, zoup, or anyone. I unsubbed from them for a reason. ESPECIALLY do not link me to videos of flamu. Hes nothing but a t.w.a.t waffle and a twit and I do not enjoy his commentary or attitude.)

Members
3,832 posts
7,758 battles

what about a vid from yuro hm..well i have a missouri but i think thats enough. so how i usually do it is make sure to stick with at least 3-4 allies, shoot at 17-15km range while your allies, hopefully, kill off the DDs. when there seems to not be any DDs on your side left go in, not too much. maybe 12km is where you stop? if you go too far go bow on to the enemy BBs and reverse. thats how i do it at least. recently ive gotten 100k every battle which i think is good 

Members
790 posts
6,339 battles

I like the thing, especially after the cit. change. I have the Missouri now so don't play it as much. As said above, this is not a yolo tanker in any way. This is a fleet support ship of the bow angle to enemy class but it has great guns. The US BBs are a great line when played properly.

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

She's the linchpin you'll have to get past if you ever want Montana.

Iowa is distasteful for some because she is less agile than North Carolina, but once I got used to it, I found her to be a very strong ship (even before the citadel rework, which I still think was unnecessary).  Devastating firepower and AA.....she just relies heavily on good positioning and situational awareness to succeed.  Not all players possess that, and blame the ship instead.

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles

59b2c784d880f_ScreenShot2017-09-08at12_38_06.thumb.png.ed1c63ccdc68ce4fe4a056c2585bb824.png

I'm certainly not the best Iowa player ever, but at least I know what I'm talking about.

Iowa excels as a second line support sniper. Kit for full concealment for ridiculous results, place yourself ahead of an enemy push attempt and always, always angle. It doesn't mean you shouldn't tank damage, in fact if you become more of a threat the enemy will focus fire on you even if you are far away. As long as you are not spotted all the time and in constant danger of getting shot at and burning, let the gunnery do the rest. Iowa's guns are fantastic, the shells have a high angle of approach so it's hard to overpen, so don't worry to much about citadels, just land your shots and the super heavy shells will handle the rest. 

Your priority targets should be cruisers. No, really. If you see a board side battleship and an angled cruiser, both at similar range, shoot the cruiser. Iowa's shells are surprisingly effective against cruisers in that they won't overpen very often, leading to consistent 9k+ damage salvos even into heavily angled targets. 

Destroyers is your biggest enemy, not in killing you outright, but in spotting you all the time. In this case, map awareness and tactic assessment is paramount. Calculate & estimate when will an enemy destroy breach your team's frontline and venture forward enough to spot you, and before that happens, use that ridiculous 33kts top speed to fast foot else where where your team can deter the dds from spotting you.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[TAFY3]
Beta Testers
429 posts
5,908 battles

I have mine spec'd for full AA.  Current AA defense rating 100.  Her guns are decent, but her hull is lacking.  Don't expect to brawl as well with the IOWA as you would in a German, or Japanese BB.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,035 battles

If you want a Montana then do it, I have the Missouri, and it is superior, especially in credit earnings.   I sold my Iowa long ago, and no real desire for the very long grind remaining.  I have the GK and Yami, doing the RN grind.... so don't feel a burning need for the Montana 

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

If you want more freedom to maneuver, use terrain and concealment to your advantage. I'm drawing on my Alabama experience but in general, time your turns with enemy reloads, or turn when you can grab some cover. Sometimes that can lead to dilemmas where you don't know if some DD will ambush you around the island, but that's where you have to weigh your risks. Now, with the lower citadel the Iowa is much more forgiving if you need to turn in front of enemy BBs, but it's still by far the most vulnerable and easy to citadel when showing too much side, so do not show broadside. A full concealment build can help you turn without drawing fire.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
19 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

59b2c784d880f_ScreenShot2017-09-08at12_38_06.thumb.png.ed1c63ccdc68ce4fe4a056c2585bb824.png

I'm certainly not the best Iowa player ever, but at least I know what I'm talking about.

Iowa excels as a second line support sniper. Kit for full concealment for ridiculous results, place yourself ahead of an enemy push attempt and always, always angle. It doesn't mean you shouldn't tank damage, in fact if you become more of a threat the enemy will focus fire on you even if you are far away. As long as you are not spotted all the time and in constant danger of getting shot at and burning, let the gunnery do the rest. Iowa's guns are fantastic, the shells have a high angle of approach so it's hard to overpen, so don't worry to much about citadels, just land your shots and the super heavy shells will handle the rest. 

Your priority targets should be cruisers. No, really. If you see a board side battleship and an angled cruiser, both at similar range, shoot the cruiser. Iowa's shells are surprisingly effective against cruisers in that they won't overpen very often, leading to consistent 9k+ damage salvos even into heavily angled targets. 

Destroyers is your biggest enemy, not in killing you outright, but in spotting you all the time. In this case, map awareness and tactic assessment is paramount. Calculate & estimate when will an enemy destroy breach your team's frontline and venture forward enough to spot you, and before that happens, use that ridiculous 33kts top speed to fast foot else where where your team can deter the dds from spotting you.

How viable is pulling a U-turn as a means of pulling back? Its one of the reasons I hated playing her before the cit fix because the moment you tried to turn around, you'd get nailed in the citadel like 2 or 3 times in a single volly. It was beyond painful for someone used to the way the USN mid tiers play.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

u turn is viable at least in missouri.    but understand the risks and use cover or conceal if you can   I've done a u turn at 12km from 4-5 ships shooting at me (including 2 bbs) and  managed to survive and get cover.  did lose over 50% health.   most of the time, I run it like strong cruiser and I've been doing alright with missou, 

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles
Just now, Kitsunelegend said:

How viable is pulling a U-turn as a means of pulling back? Its one of the reasons I hated playing her before the cit fix because the moment you tried to turn around, you'd get nailed in the citadel like 2 or 3 times in a single volly. It was beyond painful for someone used to the way the USN mid tiers play.

The U-turn is what separates the experts from the average player. The best way is to turn early. You can bow tank and reverse, sure, but you can still use 100% of your firepower when kiting. For example, you push with the team, you stopped 17km away from the enemies, you and your team nailed or have driven away the immediate threats (namely dds and RN cruisers), and the remaining enemy cruisers are busy kiting away shaking their flimsy booties, and voila! Nobody's spotting you. This would be a good time to turn around, and stay in a steep angle toward the enemy. 

If you are caught out of position with your nose toward the enemy, your best chance is to reverse, FULL reverse, forget that you have an aft turret and play like Dunkerque. Forget about turning away, forget about damage, your job is to get out of 12.4 km of your enemies and vanish.  

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,174 battles

Premium cammo (4,000 doubloons! Ouch! Worth every cent!) and go for it. I like the ship despite limited play in her. I play her like a battlecruiser, strong on hitting power and speed, weak on protection, and mine is geared for stealth with the concealment module and a CE captain. She works best working in the company of other ships outside her detection range. Wth my setup this is half of her maximum main gun range! This plus her speed has saved my butt more than once.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
54 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Premium cammo (4,000 doubloons! Ouch! Worth every cent!) and go for it. I like the ship despite limited play in her. I play her like a battlecruiser, strong on hitting power and speed, weak on protection, and mine is geared for stealth with the concealment module and a CE captain. She works best working in the company of other ships outside her detection range. Wth my setup this is half of her maximum main gun range! This plus her speed has saved my butt more than once.

Yeah I dont plan on buying a 4000 gold perma camo for a ship I may very well end up still not liking. I just use the gamescon camo which I have TON of just sitting around lol

1 hour ago, The_first_harbinger said:

The U-turn is what separates the experts from the average player. The best way is to turn early. You can bow tank and reverse, sure, but you can still use 100% of your firepower when kiting. For example, you push with the team, you stopped 17km away from the enemies, you and your team nailed or have driven away the immediate threats (namely dds and RN cruisers), and the remaining enemy cruisers are busy kiting away shaking their flimsy booties, and voila! Nobody's spotting you. This would be a good time to turn around, and stay in a steep angle toward the enemy. 

If you are caught out of position with your nose toward the enemy, your best chance is to reverse, FULL reverse, forget that you have an aft turret and play like Dunkerque. Forget about turning away, forget about damage, your job is to get out of 12.4 km of your enemies and vanish.  

Alright, I'll give that a shot...

I just.. really hate that bow on full reverse tactic and meta... I really wish WG would change it so that wasn't a valid tactic anymore because it really seems to promote stagnant gameplay...

[MIA-A]
Members
139 posts
7,282 battles

I thought you were done with this game....oh wait I didn't see your Hiatus post, never mind.  But Iowa tips? I haven't played the Iowa since it got its citadel lowered but I do have a Missouri and I think I'm qualified enough to give you some of the things I've found in playing the ship.

Stats: 

Spoiler

42Ll7w.png

1. Always go full concealment build.  Get Concealment Module and Concealment Expert Captain skill as your priority.  You get down to 12.3 km detection range which is very useful to vanishing after firing and be able to make a turn to kite away while stealthed so that you do not eat a huge broadside shot.  

2. I can afford to play more aggressive in my Missouri because of radar but I tend to stay with the cruisers when I play.  Cruisers support you, you support them mentality.  I manage "sniping" with staying bow on to the enemy fleet.  The ship is accurate but you shouldn't play far back as some people have suggested 17km.  I usually stay around 12-15km away (making full use of my concealment) so that I can punish cruisers that over extend or broadside BBs.  Of course if there are enemy DDs in the area then you can stay further back (14km-16km) but you shouldn't be anywhere near firing at max range.

3. If you have to run away, reversing until you are undetected is always advised.  If you have a DD stalking you or you're too close to enemies, its better to try and time your U- turn (cause reversing BBs are the easiest targets for torpedoes to hit) just before the enemy BB fire at you so that you have the minimum chance of being completely broadside when the next salvo is aimed.  This is why Priority target is advised (see captain build).  The Iowa is more of an oversized cruiser than a proper BB.  (Hence why some [not me] people argue its a battle cruiser instead of a battleship.)

Recommended Build: 

Captain Skills

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000000100119

Modules:

Main Armaments Mod 1

AA Guns Mod 1

Artillery Plotting Room Mod 2

DCS Mod 1

Toss up Between DCS Mod 2 (for really short fire Duration) or Steering Gears Mod 2

Concealment Mod 2

Edited by Thunderstruck2016

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,689 posts
3,459 battles

Gonna be home in an hour and a half if you finally are playing again and want to div and I'll help you out.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
2 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Gonna be home in an hour and a half if you finally are playing again and want to div and I'll help you out.

I wont actually be really playing again until next week when I have some time off of work. I only took her out for a really quick spin in co-op to get an idea of how the guns handle again, but thats about it. I'll make sure to poke you for that div when I'm ready. o3o