You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrBATTLEBRAWL

Enterprise on Sale, Worth Picking Up

10 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
3,993 battles

As a fan of American CV's, even though they aren't always THAT good, I was wondering if anyone who had the ship thought that it would be worth it to pick up? 

Not looking to start arguing or flame war, but do you think it's worth a purchase over a Saipan or Kaga?

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Granted I'm not a CV player, but I'm pretty sure the Saipan is the way to go if you are looking to purchase just one Premium CV.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

For me as a collector yes, but she is out of my price range, And since I do not play CV it is a no.

But for you since you are a fan of USN CVs I would say yes.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,528 posts
6,683 battles

If you can afford it, and are prepared to invest time in training up a CV captain, sure. Lots of micro management, which is ok for those used to IJN carriers. Saipan is much cheaper. In t8 battles, Enterprise is now the only carrier that I find consistently difficult (unless badly played) as an enemy, when playing the Graf Zeppelin ( ...). The 2/2/2 setup offers lots of flexibility, overwhelming firepower in t6-8 matches. On the other hand, you will also be in matches with tier10s, whose AA will treat your planes as an aperitif, and welcome your attacks. Do you need a T8 trainer for your US carrier captain? 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,998 posts

Enterprise has flexibilty, a very deep hanger and the ability to seize air superiority at will. The issue with her is that she's a tier 8 CV and will spend most of her time in Tier 9 and 10 games. :(

[O_S_D]
Members
40 posts
9,486 battles

Big E is not easy to play, Kaga is about as hard (very similar in low tier planes). Saipan is much easier to play and learn in. If you are skilled or experienced at CV's, go for it, if not, buy the Saipan instead.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,837 battles

If I had to rank them it would go Kaga, Enterprise Saipan. Kaga due to being tier 7 and thus often being top tier, thus the easiest to make perform well with the most potential for it's tier. Enterprise is arguably a better Shokaku, due to the better Air Supremacy ablility with similar if not better strike potential depending upon which bombs you equip. Sure each plane is a bit weak but that's nothing that a clever player can't get around. Where as Saipan is honestly a bit of a turd when compared to the other two on this list. Sure the tier 9 aircraft are good but the tiny squad size and small hanger more than balance that fact out. Now by all means Saipan isn't bad, it's pretty good if you know how to play it. But Enterprise and Kaga have much more potential and ability over Saipan. Also Saipan doesn't make for that good of a trainer due to not getting the most out of the majority of the later picked USN skills as you either get bombs or torpedoes. Where as the Big E gets both and they still perform as good if not better than the IJN counterparts. So I would recommend of the two USN Enterprise, due to the flexibility that Saipan doesn't get. If you are just looking for a premium carrier, Kaga is the queen of carriers premium or otherwise. Plus Kaga is cheaper than Enterprise due to being tier 7 rather than tier 8. 

As for people saying Enterprise and Kaga are hard to play. Enterprise's aircraft are as strong if not stronger than the other tier 8 thanks to the aircraft mod 3. Kaga only runs into trouble when you run out of fighters, as the dives are nearly worthless you don't have to worry about loosing them and you have 31 reserve torpedo bombers, which means running out is super hard if you play smart. Saipan on the other hand can be tricky due to the fact that every plane you loose makes the surviving aircraft easier to shoot down. While you may not loose aircraft consistently when you loose an aircraft you might loose the entire squad because of one lucky shot. With 48 aircraft even if you loose one squad that can cause you a lot of troubles. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

IF you know play cvs enterprise is a ok choice, she can be really good if you know drop she torps.

But, if you starting now i recomend take the saipan and let enterprise to another time.

[DRACS]
Members
3,365 posts

Note: Saipan is a, for now, permanent addition to the premium shop. Enterprise is not and may not come back for some time after this weekend.

Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
4 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Note: Saipan is a, for now, permanent addition to the premium shop. Enterprise is not and may not come back for some time after this weekend.

This. Enterprise is the top T8 right now and does not appear to be getting dethroned anytime soon.

I would argue though that Saipan is pure fun. If you can get good at "Dog Fighting" using strafes, dodging strafes and exit strafes. Most fun is against another skilled saipan.  My hope is that WG removes the penalty from all CVs to make fighter combat more enjoyable. As a side note Enterprise has the hanger and raw strafe damage that the plane loss from exit strafing is not that bad at all.