You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GrimmeReaper

WG Missing the Boat on Sci-Fi Enterprise

33 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles

Dear WG,

I had hoped with a Sci-Fi Carrier weekend and You selling the Enterprise you would have come up with a perma Sci-Fi themed Camo for the Enterprise. Being a Trekkie and a STO player, I would have shelled out 3000 Doubloons for an addition Permanent Camo for the Enterprise.  Don't get me wrong the current one is nice you did a great job, but it would be nice to change it up without having to buy a bunch of temporary Camos.  I think you would have sold a bunch too to those who have Enterprise already.

Sincerely,

gcangel82

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
Members
2,600 posts
4,981 battles

Yeah they would have to charge you more then 3k for that. Like a lot more. Then you would have people yelling that it's not realistic and they are destroying the world war 2 feel of the game.

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
481 posts
3,039 battles
10 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Yeah they would have to charge you more then 3k for that. Like a lot more. Then you would have people yelling that it's not realistic and they are destroying the world war 2 feel of the game.

"Destroying World War II feel."

Hmm Gearing, HSF Harekaze, Midway, pretty much half the tier 10s in game.

• Cool 1

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
636 posts
13,540 battles
14 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Cost of licensing a tie in with Star Trek would bankrupt WG.  

I believe he said he was a "Trekkie" not to make a Star Trek themed camo - his idea of a permanent sci-fi camo such as what they are selling is not a terrible idea.  It could be of a different pattern from what they are selling so as to not impact that sales thread.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
13 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

"Destroying World War II feel."

Hmm Gearing, HSF Harekaze, Midway, pretty much half the tier 10s in game.

Not to mention big chunks of the Soviet tree, the part from the 50s...

At least Montana was started on during the war, and Midway and Des Moines just barely missed it...

Edited by mavfin87

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
14 minutes ago, bat1159man said:

I believe he said he was a "Trekkie" not to make a Star Trek themed camo - his idea of a permanent sci-fi camo such as what they are selling is not a terrible idea.  It could be of a different pattern from what they are selling so as to not impact that sales thread.

Exactly!  Not looking for Star Trek Themed stuff.  Not going to happen.  I am not expecting that.  Or hey another of the Camo designs she wore during WWII.  I just thought a Sci-Fi themed Camo would be cool.  It is a Video game. Please do not get up in arms.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles

CBS/Paramont are [edited] about their "intectual property". See what they did to Axanar.  They would go after a Sci-fi camo specifilly for Enterprise in a heartbeat.  

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
2 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

CBS/Paramont are [edited] about their "intectual property". See what they did to Axanar.  They would go after a Sci-fi camo specifilly for Enterprise in a heartbeat.  

If that is the case they should be going bat crazy over the current Sci=Fi Camo.  I am not talking a Camo that in anyways ties it in to Star Trek.  Axanar crossed over a line that CBS/Paramount Clearly had put out there for Fan Generated Stuff.  That is why they got taken to the wringers on that.  As long as it has nothing to do with Star Trek they would not be able to come after WG and WG would be able to go after them for slander and Liable on it and would do it too.

[ECOM]
Members
494 posts
11,073 battles
1 minute ago, gcangel82 said:

If that is the case they should be going bat crazy over the current Sci=Fi Camo.  I am not talking a Camo that in anyways ties it in to Star Trek.  Axanar crossed over a line that CBS/Paramount Clearly had put out there for Fan Generated Stuff.  That is why they got taken to the wringers on that.  As long as it has nothing to do with Star Trek they would not be able to come after WG and WG would be able to go after them for slander and Liable on it and would do it too.

It's not worth the risk.

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
31 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Not to mention big chunks of the Soviet tree, the part from the 50s...

At least Montana was started on during the war, and Midway and Des Moines just barely missed it...

Anyone seen the Battle of the River Platte (Hunt for the Graf Spee)?  That was a Des Moines class cruiser playing the part of the Graf Spee.   I watched it a couple of months ago and saw her from the back and was sure it was a Des Moines, looked up the boat and sure enough.  USS Salem to be exact.

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
21 minutes ago, Captain_Doll said:

It's not worth the risk.

They already took the risk with the picture on the home page of the CV6 in space in orbit of the Earth in a Sci-Fi Camo.  So tell me is CBS/Paramount going to come after them for that.  I doubt it.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Then you would have people yelling that it's not realistic and they are destroying the world war 2 feel of the game.

Because more than half the ships are from before or after WWII and this was never a WWII game to begin with.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
1 hour ago, gcangel82 said:

Actually, Axanar asked CBS/Paramount several times for guidelines, and they failed to provide any.  Then Axanar made a short film and some test scenes whos quality were on par with what CBS/Paramount produced, then they sued them.  Paramount didn't set any guidelines until after they filed suit against Axanar, so how could Axanar follow any nonexistent guidelines? 

It wasn't anything Axanar did that caused the suit, except make quality Star Trek and embarrass CBS/Paramount by doing so. 

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
12 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Actually, Axanar asked CBS/Paramount several times for guidelines, and they failed to provide any.  Then Axanar made a short film and some test scenes whos quality were on par with what CBS/Paramount produced, then they sued them.  Paramount didn't set any guidelines until after they filed suit against Axanar, so how could Axanar follow any nonexistent guidelines? 

It wasn't anything Axanar did that caused the suit, except make quality Star Trek and embarrass CBS/Paramount by doing so. 

The other issue here is Axanar Productions basically crossed out of Fan Made Quality to Professional Quality, doing crowd funding to raise over 1 million dollars to make Axanar. At that point it went beyond being a Fan made production to being a full blown Professional Production.  Had they raised say maybe 100K I doubt CBS/Paramount would have said a word or laid down the really strict guide lines that they put in place.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles

So they should have just made bad quality Star Trek?  That makes no sense.  There were no guidelines in place.  Axanar did nothing wrong.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,453 posts
4,093 battles

I agree with the OP, a permanent sci-fi camo for the Enterprise would have been great. They missed the boat on this one.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
7,373 battles
59 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I agree with the OP, a permanent sci-fi camo for the Enterprise would have been great. They missed the boat on this one.

They miss the boat often.

And fall off  the boat even when R. N. Gezus lets them land on it.

[TBOW]
Members
1,192 posts
10,473 battles
21 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Please, please, please - say Trekker instead...  Long time Trek fan myself.

Had to give you a +1 for being a fellow fan.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,738 posts
2,020 battles
9 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Cost of licensing a tie in with Star Trek would bankrupt WG.  

They only have to do a color theme like orange, white and gold for TOS, black, blue, light blue, blockish gray shades and such for the TMP. And such.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,738 posts
2,020 battles
6 hours ago, comtedumas said:

So they should have just made bad quality Star Trek?  That makes no sense.  There were no guidelines in place.  Axanar did nothing wrong.

Except, the head guy commercialized it by offering products for sale based on the project and funding a studio that goes beyond producing the project. This is what triggered Paramount/CBS. Good copyright holders leave fan projects alone unless the fans attempt to profit off them (commercializing) then they take actions to protect their IPs.

• Cool 1