You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spooooooooooooooooooooon

Interesting article about the cost of bringing back retired ships

29 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,249 posts

Some say that the soft structure of the aluminum caused the Exocets to incorrectly fuse when they impacted, resulting in rather unsatisfactory damage to the Stark. But then again, it was basically a perfect shot for the ASM (WVR launch, non-manuevering target, no counter measures or CIWS) and it still performed terribly.

• Cool 1

Members
2,366 posts
6,734 battles
56 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Some say that the soft structure of the aluminum caused the Exocets to incorrectly fuse when they impacted, resulting in rather unsatisfactory damage to the Stark. But then again, it was basically a perfect shot for the ASM (WVR launch, non-manuevering target, no counter measures or CIWS) and it still performed terribly.

Reports from Falklands had an incident where an Exocet either missed completely or some how bounced, off the ship into the water. 

I think the second hit and sank the target, but doesn’t seem that Exocets ever worked particularly well.

Edited by JohnPJones

[LTNY]
Members
340 posts
4,178 battles
On 16/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, JohnPJones said:

Reports from Falklands had an incident where an Exocet either missed completely or some how bounced, off the ship into the water. 

I think the second hit and sank the target, but doesn’t seem that Exocets ever worked particularly well.

Hi do you have a link to that or a source?

From what I know, no Exocet bounced of the target during the war, but many air dropped bombs either bounced, pierced and impacted doing little damage because fuses had no time to arm.

Members
2,366 posts
6,734 battles
9 hours ago, Jumarka said:

Hi do you have a link to that or a source?

From what I know, no Exocet bounced of the target during the war, but many air dropped bombs either bounced, pierced and impacted doing little damage because fuses had no time to arm.

I’d have to regoogle, but all the reports said that the first missile was a miss and did nothing