You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkyRail

Destroyer, what do you like / hate ?

26 comments in this topic

Members
603 posts
7,017 battles

I am just curious, 

which destroyer in game do you guys like the most, and why? (could be the look, or good performance, or cool ship name etc.)

which destroyer in game do you guys hate the most, and why?

and is there any destroyer you like but not in game and you would like to see her (or him) being introduce into the game ?

I'll start first.

I can't really decide which ship I like the most, but I rate Yugumo and Harekaze pretty high on my list.

Yugumo, imo is the most well-balance DD for the IJN line now with good range, nice torp, good gun, and she has served me well

Harekaze, she does need lots of capt. skills investment to make her good, but she is a fun to play. and on top of that, I love Akeno Misaki on board (sry being a weeb, I've never use normal voice over since the ARP thing is avaliable. I've use anime voice over since then)

There is one clear winner for ship a hate tho

Its Khaba.

This Russian fantasy rocket is just too much for my taste. she (he?) is the most troublesome ship to fight against which makes me hate this ship even more.

As for ships that I like, but not in game, I'll say IJN Yukikaze and USS Johnston (DD-557)

both are legendary in their history I wouldn't mind permium Yukikaze or Johnston

Members
3,832 posts
7,764 battles

hue well in game i love the umikaze akizuki and kagerō. umikaze's torp reload akizukis guns and kagerōs torpedoes are what make me love them. ships in in game, yet, yukikaze. not just because my name is Yuki too :3 but what you said. the history im thinking of buying harekaze because i bet shes based off the yukikaze. which actually had those three, though not midway secondaries, guns. now non japanese DDs. i love my sims and clemson. theyre both incredibly fun. japanese and US DDs are like the only ones ive gone down far enough to make an opinion on the line. the DD i hate the most has to be khab too. because russian bias absolutely a nightmare to deal with

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,435 battles

I adore the Kamikaze. The style of play. The silent but deadly dance on the edge of concealment. Reaping the tears sown by the mistakes of others. Glorious.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,890 posts
13,414 battles

The old Fubuki, just a good balance of stealth, torps & guns. The Yugumo comes the closest of all the contemporary IJN DDs. Khaba comes close second just for the fact it is fun to play as well as Kamikaze a pure stalking machine.

I dislike the Groz the most, it's like it was designed by a committee who didn't want it to be powerful in any way but grudgingly let it be mediocre just so it would be played. Meh best describes it!

Beta Testers
1,179 posts
5,973 battles

Definitely Lo Yang. Didn't like it very much until the hydro and torpedo buff, now it's scary how much it can bully other DDs. Won't win in a straight gunfight with anything not IJN but the hydro and smoke means you never have to take a fair fight, it's so brutal at what it does and I love it. Torpedoes aren't too bad either when you can properly position yourself, pretty much impossible to dodge them without an early warning. Comes with good speed as well to facilitate these torpedo plays and to make you very hard to take down.

Ship looks good too.

Honorable mention to Akizuki for being a brutal straight up DD fighter with IFHE and looking amazing. I can live with the low speed in this case only but I really get bothered by sluggish DDs. I don't really love IJN DDs aside from Kami/Fujin and Shimakaze, cause I find the line's standard 35 knot speed a little inadequate. 

The number one thing that kills a DD for me is sluggishness, I have a serious love/hate relationship with the Akizuki because of this. I don't treat Tashkent/Khaba as true DDs though.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,022 battles
8 hours ago, _hat_ said:

Reaping the tears sown by the mistakes of others. Glorious.

They don't even need to make mistakes though, to have their tears extracted.  :) 

I lovoooovvve v-25 right now.  40 knot speed(with boost and flags) at t2 in the smallest most concealed boat in the game?  Forward facing troll torps, fast troll gun reload, and a trollishly low deck that sometimes even goes underwater in a hard turn.  My record is 1.2M potential damage because it is near impossible to hit outside 7km, and the torps, while rated lower damage, seem to hit harder than my previous favorite Umikaze.   

Umikaze still has a permanent place in my heart though, with its AR maxed out 13 second torp reload.  Can't wait to put a 19-point yamamoto on this ship to get the reload bonus after my krakens.  7-8 second reloads?  yes plzzzz.  

Hate?  Gnevny.  Sold it, will forever be stuck at T4 because I refuse to play that POS.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,827 posts
10,762 battles

Weekdays: Fletcher > Z-52 > Clemson > Z-46 > Gearing > ... > (KM DD <= T7)

Weekend potato harvesting: Shimakze with 20km torps. > everything

DD I wish was in game: Kitakami (I know. But WG thinks Khab is a DD)

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,137 battles

Harekaze since it has the good traits of the IJN class DDs and and a choice between the Akitsuki guns and Midway ones. Still think I like the 100mm aki guns more. Every game in her is fun and a learning experience with each hull type and ways you can play her. 

Akatsuki since it feels like a reward after Fubuki even if it has a meh detection

Musuky is nice too

I dont think I hate any dd in the game but I didnt like Fubuki for some reason even if you got a ton of torps. She just seems butchered for some reason.

I like the tier 4 russian one, since I like the whole gunboat play versus the tiresome planning of a torpedo boat. But it isnt as satisfying and even if I am winning in her, it feels weird actually using guns only.

Then again I guess my opinion doesnt matter much since Im just now trying and getting used to dds.

Edited by awildpervert

[FAE]
Members
2,130 posts
2,531 battles

Lo Yang is probably one of the prettiest.  And she has real use now with her super hydro. 

Akizuki with a speed flag though is the most fun you can have in the game.  

These two are my favs. 

The Hatsuharu is a turd. (Like most of the IJN DDs lol)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
2 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

The Hatsuharu is a turd.

I didn't find it so, though like most IJN DD's she does suffer from neon-torpedo syndrome; I'm surprised WoW doesn't make them glow in the dark so you can see them coming in storms! LOL!!

Hats has good guns for an IJN DD; which for anyone else above tier 2 are still crap but at least they're the best of the turds available. What they do do is fire hard hitting shells in decent gun arcs with tolerable dispersion; what they don't do is rotate or reload quickly. She has decent speed at 36.5 knots; again not outstanding but very useable. She has good AA for a DD, good detection, and a good selection of torps to use. All things considered, she is a most useable torp boat, and can finish off cripples with tubes or guns.

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

Fletcher's obviously my all time favorite, the perfect mix of everything I want out of a destroyer and tons of history to go with it.  Honorable mention to the Clemson and old tier5 Gnevny, both are/were fun for just goofing around at low tiers, though I haven't played much below tier7 in ages.

As for DDs I hate, there's none I truly hate, though plenty I found super mediocre.  Mid-tier IJN were all pretty lackluster though I knew that going in.  Shiratsuyu never really clicked for me despite people loving it, the Minekaze/Kamikaze family are another people loved but never really drove me wild.  Tashkent...I guess I could say the Tashkent is probably my last favorite but that might have just been cause I was so eager to get to the Khab.  Which is ironic cause I'm not a huge fan of the Khab either, I just find it kind of boring and 1 dimensional to play.

As for a DD I'd want added, Gridley Class destroyer, specifically the USS Maury (DD-401).  Sixteen torpedo armament, set the fastest speed for a US DD at 42knots, 16 battle stars putting her 2nd for all destroyers (along with several others at 16), and she's just a neat example of inter-war destroyer design before the Fletcher class bust on the scene.

[FAE]
Members
2,130 posts
2,531 battles
5 hours ago, Umikami said:

I didn't find it so, though like most IJN DD's she does suffer from neon-torpedo syndrome; I'm surprised WoW doesn't make them glow in the dark so you can see them coming in storms! LOL!!

Hats has good guns for an IJN DD; which for anyone else above tier 2 are still crap but at least they're the best of the turds available. What they do do is fire hard hitting shells in decent gun arcs with tolerable dispersion; what they don't do is rotate or reload quickly. She has decent speed at 36.5 knots; again not outstanding but very useable. She has good AA for a DD, good detection, and a good selection of torps to use. All things considered, she is a most useable torp boat, and can finish off cripples with tubes or guns.

Please take a +1 moderate thinking and good use of logic. 

But please. The results say she's a stinker. And there's logical reasons why.  

Members
603 posts
7,017 battles
3 hours ago, DedPan said:

As for a DD I'd want added, Gridley Class destroyer, specifically the USS Maury (DD-401).  Sixteen torpedo armament, set the fastest speed for a US DD at 42knots, 16 battle stars putting her 2nd for all destroyers (along with several others at 16), and she's just a neat example of inter-war destroyer design before the Fletcher class bust on the scene.

Please correct me if I am wrong. From wt i've seen.....USS Maury (DD-401) goes 42MPH (36kt) not 42 kt.

8 hours ago, Umikami said:

I like how you use "neon-torpedo syndrome". because that's what IJN torp has become....

14 hours ago, chewonit said:

DD I wish was in game: Kitakami (I know. But WG thinks Khab is a DD)

The good old day....before the Atago is even avaliable in the game. Kitakami was a T8 premium. heard that 20torp per side created the true torp wall. a division of kitakami basically created zone of death.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,671 posts
8,068 battles

I really like Yuugumo, the only reason i'm not playing her often is because it's pretty hard to earn money at T9 without premium account. But she is really a good IJN torps boat with decent firepower for self protection.

I also like Akizuki. She was my main ship before stealth fire nerf and now, she still good but you tend to die quickly if you're not shooting in smoke and this ship is too clumsy to properly avoid torps if sitting in smoke. But i still like her.

If i have to say which DD i hate the most i would say low tier Germain DD i think. I think there are ship that are neither good nor bad. Like Fubuki or Shinonome. Both have good potential but their concealment is really meh, especially when a Gnevny, which is a gunboat, can have the same concealment as you. Same thing for Shimakaze. She have a good potential but because of her concealment, a Gearing could easily rekt her in early game.

Now before asking for more DD i would rather see WG do something about DD state in general. Sure High Tier DD like Yuugumo are great a majority of low-mid tier are not really fun to play and most of the time when these DD are bottom tier in a game, they struggle (well like a lot of ship you might say) and die quickly. 

I would like to see a decrease of torp CD on Kagerou / Shiratsuyu for instance because 1 min 50 sec CD is really long .

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
6 hours ago, SkyRail said:

The good old day....before the Atago is even avaliable in the game. Kitakami was a T8 premium. heard that 20torp per side created the true torp wall. a division of kitakami basically created zone of death.

A wall of death for both teams; torpedoes have no friends! Like I said in another post; Kitakami was like a chimpanzee with a hand grenade in every match she was in; you just never knew when she'd go off! They cannot keep that ship far enough away from the game.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles
6 hours ago, SkyRail said:

Please correct me if I am wrong. From wt i've seen.....USS Maury (DD-401) goes 42MPH (36kt) not 42 kt.

Everywhere I've looked I see the number 42.8knots quoted, I've never seen any one use mph.  In regards to the Gridley class, my copy of Jane's says, "Many of this class have exceeded design speed in trials.  Ellet and Lang said to have approached 40 kts."  Granted those 2 ships were Benham class and not Gridley but Jane's is all over the place on mis-classifying ships in that edition.  Either way, most places list the class's speed as 38.5 (though some have said as low as 36) so the 40+ knots is more a curiosity than something I'd expect in the game.

Members
1,513 posts
7,988 battles

Hey

DD's, what do I like:  I love the sneak around and surprise attack with torps.  What do I dislike:  When I screw up and get deleted quickly, LOL.

I still prefer Cruiser and BB play, with my German fleet (most of them).

Pete

Members
623 posts
6,920 battles

Yugumo players, do you like It better then the Shimakaze?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Yugumo, it's just the Shimakaze "fixed" all the things I didn't like, like 2 vs 3 launchers and  the relatively slow speed.

[DOG]
Members
389 posts
5,611 battles

I'd like the see the Somers class.  It's basically a Gearing with an extra turret (8 guns total) and 3 quadruple torpedo launchers.  But I'd hate to think what WoW would do to nerf it for balance purposes, to make sure it can't possibly out gunboat the Russian DDs.  Detection range of 12?  Gun range 8?  LOL

As for fun DDs, I was having a pretty good time in the Akatzuki, which I kept when I bought the Kagero.  I like the speed (38 kts) and the 3 triple torpedo launchers.  And the guns are better than you'd think, given their relatively slow reload time.  Unfortunately, I moved my captain up to the Kagero, which means I have to grind for captain skills so I can get concealment expert and survivability expert back.  The Kagero is OK, but the 35 kts speed kind of blows.  And the 2 quadruple launchers aren't as cool as the 3 triple launchers on the Akatzuki.  (I like to launch a spread at where the target is going, then one that leads it even more, and a third at where they'd be if they turned off.)  Concealment is pretty good, but if you do get pinged, the slow speed means you're less likely to be able to get out of there.  And the gun range is horrible.

I also kept the V-170.  It is also kind of slow, but it somehow doesn't FEEL slow when I'm driving it.  Maybe because it's lower tier, so it doesn't feel slow relative to the other ships in the game?  The forward launchers and fast reload on the torps are just plain fun.  Last night I killed two BBs and one CA in one battle with a total of 8 torp hits, which is kind of high for me.

The Z46 is nice.  I just moved up to the Benson, so I'm still getting used to it, but it seems okay so far.

I bought the Okhotnik, just because it's such a weird little ship.  It's kind of fun.  I generally don't like Russian DDs, because the torps are so short ranged, and I don't like playing DDs that are primarily gunboats.  I play cruisers for that.

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

I'd like the see the Somers class.  It's basically a Gearing with an extra turret (8 guns total) and 3 quadruple torpedo launchers.

Not quite. Somers is smaller (fewer HP) and wouldn't have the AA (guns not really DP) of the Gearing. At tier 7 and above its AA would be very subpar. (IRL it did not finish the war with 8 guns) It should be a bit faster (more manueverable?) and stealthier but I assume the 12 torps would be more like Mahans. Still love to see it in the game. A bit of a problem to place it due to its qualities. Tier 8 or 9 maybe. Guess it could go head-to-head against the Akizuki with different strengths but seems like a huge upgrade over the Benson except in stealth and AA.

[DOG]
Members
389 posts
5,611 battles

Sabot,

Yeah, you're right.  The 5"/38s were not dual purpose.  Forgot about that.  I'm familiar with the Somers from an old board game called Battlewagon, which only covered surface ships, so AA was irrelevant.  I suppose that would be a balancing factor right there.  As for the torps,  individually they may have the same characteristics as those on Mahan, but on the Somers all 3 racks were centerline mounted, so they could be fired in a single broadside.  Of course, upgrading the hull in WoW would probably involve trading a turret and/or a torpedo mount to get better AA, similar to a lot of US DDs.  Hopefully they'd make that a "C" hull, so you could choose to stop at the "B" hull with the extra hit points, but not give up anti-surface capability for AA.  Not that there's anything wrong with extra AA, but giving up some guns and torps would basically cause the Somers to lose it's unique character.

Edited by zubalkabir

Members
810 posts
7,133 battles

The Sims has fit me like a glove. The agility and turret rotation spoils you. :Smile_teethhappy:

I like the way the T-22 looks but good gawd did I hate that thing. It was ok once I got CE on it but those 105's on it were spit-wad launchers. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
3 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

'm familiar with the Somers from an old board game called Battlewagon,

I used to play Seapower (obviously), where I think they claimed the guns were DP. I built a wooden model of the ship decades ago (along with the rest of my fleet) and noted they didn't look like 5" DP to me. Wondering if WG will ever add the ship, and at what tier. Porter would be a poor cousin. Don't have the Gridleys either (16 torps!) but they have that Russian T5 fantasy abomination.

On topic with the post. I am still very fond of my Fujin. Used to love my Isokaze and Shiratsuyu.

Edited by Sabot_100

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

One thing I found really cool about the Somers and Porter class ships was how some traded in their single purpose guns for DP mount.  What's so interesting to me is they went from 4 dual-gun turrets to a pair of Gearing style dual turrets fore and aft with a single gun in place of the #3 gun, and the #2 gun being entirely replaced with a Bofors mount, completely changing the visual look of the ship.  Plus it would add an interesting option for an upgraded hull or a premium ship.

QKpAMOI.jpg

A great view of the upgraded rear turrets on the Selfridge.

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
On 9/15/2017 at 5:52 PM, DedPan said:

Plus it would add an interesting option for an upgraded hull or a premium ship.

Did they keep all their torps? The better AA would be almost required at their likely tier but losing torps could make them pretty average ships.