You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Minekaze vs. MusukI - which line?

17 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

I currently have both (interesting split in the tech tree).  I'm also playing USN dds at the same level plus I'm grinding up with the lower tier german dds since I seem to meet them so often and they tend to bite me when I least expect it.  I only have so many hours per week that I can put into this game and learning 3 Nation's lines is hard enough without having one of them split.

So..which line should I persue, the Minekaze or the Mutsuki?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,708 posts
11,323 battles

Honestly... neither. The Minekaze line was great, it had two of the best IJN DDs in it. But the t7 got nerf'd and just doesn't stand out as anything anymore. The T8 is still great, a unique boat in the IJN line. Machine gunboat. The Mutsuki line is just dull.... torpedo boat after torpedo boat... with terrible torpedoes... If you insist on one then go Minekaze but I would recommend focusing on the USN and KMS DD as they are better. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,342 battles

IMO - Mutsuki - This line lead to some very good DDs and it doesn't stop at tier 8. The minekaze line becomes more gun focused and you are already playing US & German which are superior for gun focused DDs

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles

Shimakaze at the top is an odd duck right now; easy to spot torpedoes, but by reputation, its 'wall o' skill' can still make ships scatter like roaches when you turn on the lights in a room.

Personally I don't score massive amounts of damage in Mutsuki, but spec'd for stealth and well-driven it is very, VERY, stealthy, is a good close range spotter; can squeeze through spotting gaps and go places other destroyer drivers would be mad to even try, and is a ship-killer with it's torpedoes if it makes a good ambush.

Go beyond Minekaze if you want the IJN Atlanta at tier 8, the Akizuki.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

The one that gets you the YUGO.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
2,549 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Shimakaze at the top is an odd duck right now; easy to spot torpedoes, but by reputation, its 'wall o' skill' can still make ships scatter like roaches when you turn on the lights in a room.

Personally I don't score a lot of damage in Mutsuki, but spec'd for stealth and well-driven it is very, VERY, stealthy, and a ship-killer with it's torpedoes if it makes a good ambush.

Go beyond Minekaze if you want the IJN Atlanta at tier 8, the Akizuki.

Yeah. I used a Mutsuki stealth build. Let us say, multiple Scharnhorsts were sent to the bottom. 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Akizuki is getting an indirect buff with the upcoming changes to IFHE. She won't have to take DE to compensate her fire chance now.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The one that gets you the YUGO.

definitely this; Yugumo is a really great ship.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,722 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

definitely this; Yugumo is a really great ship.

Yes. For a Japanese DD, she is.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

Yes, she is.

I don't really need the qualifiers.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Don't believe the damage stats and win rates of the Akizuki.  I have the Akizuki and really...it handles like a dumpster but has 3 sec reload on 8 guns that do virtually no damage.  I've had 400+ hit games and sub 50k dmg running ifhe and using ap on broadside targets.

I gave up on the Akicrapski and am on the Akatsuki right now...I love it.

Cant wait for the Kagero with no smoke and torp reload booster.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
8 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

I have the Akizuki and really...it handles like a dumpster but has 3 sec reload on 8 guns that do virtually no damage.

IFHE and DE will reverse your opinion of this ship

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

IFHE and DE will reverse your opinion of this ship

No DE yet but had to take ifhe first so we could actually do damage to higher tier DD's since 75% of the tier 8 matches are +2.

DE isn't going to change the fact that every single handling stat of this ship blows.  And it's fat so enjoy the 7k hits you take trying to "evade" after announcing your position to the world with your fast marshmallow spamming guns.  We haven't even talked about dodging torps or the joys of being hit with radar in the Akizuki yet.

my stance remains...can it win...sure...can it do damage...sure.  Is it fun...occasionally but for the most part no.  

Maybe its not so much the ship as it is tier 8 overall that I hate.  Both Benson and Akizuki I am sub 50% win in....got the Fletcher and sit at 65% win.  So how is it that I could be 45% win in the Benson and 60+ in EVERY other ship in the USN DD line to the Fletcher...tier 8 sucks.  

So to wrap it up...the alt line ends in a dumpy ship in a crap tier that has good guns.   Guess what happens after the Akizuki...NOTHING.  It's a dead end street.  At least the main line has the Yugumo and Shima to move forward.

Edit:  I forgot to mention the joys of grinding the Hatsuharu and the now nerfed Shiratsuyu to get to the dumpy ship at the crappy tier.  The Alt line has lost me as a fan. 

Edited by LastSamurai714

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
2 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

DE isn't going to change the fact that every single handling stat of this ship blows.

well ... no. But it will let you start a basket full of fires, especially with the new IFHE mechanics coming in the next patch, reducing your fire % loss to 1% with IFHE now instead of the old 3%, so DE is now actually a gain instead of just staying even.

2 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

tier 8 sucks.  

yeah, the matchmaking at tier 8 is bad, like half your games are tier 10. I liked Hatsuharu much better than I did the new Fubuki, which I consider to be an even bigger abortion than Shinonome, which is pretty much nothing but an old Fubuki nerfed less. I do enjoy Akizuki, though radar is rapidly turning me away from high tier matches. Yugumo is the other boat worth owning in the IJN DD lines; very competitive.

Members
603 posts
7,006 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

yeah, the matchmaking at tier 8 is bad, like half your games are tier 10. I liked Hatsuharu much better than I did the new Fubuki, which I consider to be an even bigger abortion than Shinonome, which is pretty much nothing but an old Fubuki nerfed less. I do enjoy Akizuki, though radar is rapidly turning me away from high tier matches. Yugumo is the other boat worth owning in the IJN DD lines; very competitive.

talking about tier 8 matchmaking...

I've been doing a little calculation for the past few days. 

I took record on my match history from my Harekaze, Atago, Akizuki, and Prinz Eugen

out of a combined 33 matches, MM put me as bottom tier 16 times, mid tier 5 times, top tier 12 times.

so basically yes....almost 50% of your match will be bottom tier, which make ships like Kagero, Harekaze, Akizuki a bit more challenging to be successful.