Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Musings on RN HE and AP at T6 and T7

6 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,785 posts
12,916 battles

First, my Nelson.  For those who don't know, Nelson has the best repair team in the game.  Almost 24K per charge.  That's 71K on three charges, 86K with the flag, and over 100K with Superintendent!!!  A T8 CA decided to burn me down the other day.  For a good part of the game I caught the HE.  63HE hits for 34K base damage and 23K of fire damage.  That was 57K of damage on a 59K BB.  But with RT like above, it was nothing.  Finished the game with over 100K of damage put on me overall, and survived with both fire proof and dreadnought.  On return, using ONLY AP (yes Nelson's AP 16 inchers are very good despite the HE capabilities), I netted 38 hits to the tune of  110K.  The 34K of that was on the cruiser who had the fire hose on me.  

I finally graduated to QE in the normal line today, and came across an enemy QE.  I was using AP.  He was using HE.  Here's how it spun out:

17 HE hits for 19179 base damage, four fires for 26070 damage, for a total of 45249 damage put on me.

19 AP hits for 42925 base damage and no fires.

With four charges of RT, and QE can recover almost 31K w/o flaga and 37K with flag.  Considering it was early in the game, I had plenty of heals...the net was in my favor and i ultimately leaned the engagements.

Not to say HE doensn't have a place.  Just perhaps not the panacea one might think...at least at T6 and T7 (Nelson).

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,530 posts
3,526 battles

The QE fire chance is about the same as the other T6 BBs, other tiers have a much higher fire chance though and a couple have average fire chances. The problem is most scrubs that read anything on the internet and watch anyone on Youtube now believe HE is the ONLY choice on the entire line. I was in my Colorado the other day and had a Monarch sail broadside the entire time flinging HE at me, I wrecked him (thanks to Adrenaline Rush, tank build, and Colorados nice heal). He had me dead to rights since I had less HP and he had more, but nope, he set a few fires and I punched him for 10-20k damage salvos. I told him I would have been a easy kill if he angled and used AP, he proceeded to call me a hacker and I was getting reported because the Colorado is a terrible ship and blah blah blah, you all get the point

That said I did over 50k damage to a QE in my Nagato and he still came out of the fight with over 50% of his HP thanks to the heal RN gets

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I have been saying that HE on battleships is powerful. Just with the RN line flavor being HE, it has taken this long to see for the majority of people that it is.

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

QE will do better with AP, because the HE fire chance isn't that good.

However, that being said, if you land 8/8 HE shells with QE, you will net 16,800 dmg, which is crazy.

Luckily, QE has accuracy issues, so 8/8 hits in a single salvo is rare.

[NSEW]
Members
413 posts
7,896 battles

Maybe now with the advent of the certain nations battleships currently famous for its HE shells. Other nation battleship players would take notice of their HE shells, instead of ignoring them outright.

In my short experience playing this game. I can count them all with my fingers and toes.

Those that  fired HE shells (from a battleship) towards another battleship, without switching from AP and vise versa as needed.

Sign in to follow this