You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kunra_1

Preparing for Nürnberg grind

14 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

So from my understanding of Nürnberg, it is basically and upgraded Konigsberg. I'm thinking the best way to play it would be as a support ship riding alongside a BB preferably with it between you and the enemy. Basically providing DD control, ap rounds into cruisers, and setting fires on BBs while also providing AA support.

So I was thinking of doing an AA specked ships. Going with hull C, main armament 1, aa mod 2, steering gears, rudder shift.

Commander skills: PT,EM,DE,AF

As a basis what do y'all think?

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,576 battles

Sit behind islands and spam shells over it. Especially if you're up-tiered. You can deal damage and provide an AA bubble for your team.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,748 posts
11,365 battles

Not sure it's AA is good enough to spec for it.  Could be mistaken as it has been awhile since I played her.  

I will say that her gun arrangement (360 turrets in the back) worked well for me playing aggressively as no matter which way I needed to wiggle I could still get rounds out... and when it came time to turn and run she kites really well with gun placement as well. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,044 posts
9,612 battles

you poor Sea-dog! Those things get rekt by BBs whenever they get spotted!:fish_panic:

Don't give up though, York is worth the pain!:Smile_medal:

[TLW]
[TLW]
Members
17 posts
4,586 battles

I think nurnberg really benefits from concealment expert. Just being beside another ship will not pull all the aiming off the Nurn.  Like Fay said rapid fire from behind an island is the best way to dish out the damage. 

I played it a lot in the last ranked season and either spent time plinking near 15k or died quickly. PT,EM, and DE are great picks. Nothing wrong with your concept of a C hull build. But if planes are close enough to shoot, You are visible for the Fuso 10-18k away. Dodge!

Yorck is fun, but I really want the Hipper, only about 12k more xp. 

Members
1,513 posts
7,994 battles

Hey

If your careful about your broadside like most cruisers; the Nurnberg is a fun ship to play and better than most people give it credit for.  It has great reload, decent guns with both ammo types, hydro for hunting DD's which is very fun and rewarding, and you have torps.  You just have to watch who is shooting at you; take priority target, the guns turn good so you don't have to have exp. marksman, AR is good, DE is good and concealment.  I moved my capt. up so mine right now doesn't have concealment but it's still very workable.  Use your range and watch how many are shooting at you, then turn away.  Good boat, lots of fun to be had.

Pete

P.S.  Roon at T9 is like a Nurnberg on steroids, very fun and a good bit better than Hipper/Prinz Eugen which I do like.

Edited by sasquatch_research

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,435 battles

Never shoot going forward. Your aft armor is thicker than your bow armor. You should always be kiting.

[TEARZ]
Members
12 posts
4,562 battles
On 9/7/2017 at 9:39 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

If your careful about your broadside like most cruisers; the Nurnberg is a fun ship to play and better than most people give it credit for.  It has great reload, decent guns with both ammo types, hydro for hunting DD's which is very fun and rewarding, and you have torps.  You just have to watch who is shooting at you; take priority target, the guns turn good so you don't have to have exp. marksman, AR is good, DE is good and concealment.  I moved my capt. up so mine right now doesn't have concealment but it's still very workable.  Use your range and watch how many are shooting at you, then turn away.  Good boat, lots of fun to be had.

Pete

P.S.  Roon at T9 is like a Nurnberg on steroids, very fun and a good bit better than Hipper/Prinz Eugen which I do like.

Great advice.

Nürnberg is a wonderful ship if played within its means.

As long as Priority Target shows that nobody's lining me up, I fire at anything in range. Once someone targets me, I stay zoomed out and jink around between volleys. If it gets too hot, I go dark, run, and try to scrape off my pursuers on friendly ships. I try to stay outside of enemy "kill zones."  For example, Cleveland is lethal inside of about 11km. When in doubt, I face away from the enemy and use the stern guns.

With its wonderful guns, Nürnberg is one of the best DD hunters. I prioritize the small ships to keep them away from my teammates.

Captain skills:  Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert. This is not naturally a strong AA ship, so I leave that to others.

I couldn't like Yorck, Hipper is rather decent, but Roon is Love.

Edited by imaginary_b
missed a word

[PVE]
Members
500 posts
4,162 battles

Definitely forget being amongst your teammates in open water, get near them but behind islands you can shoot over.  If the map allows for this it can be a fun ship.

I couldn't like the yorck either and so far the hipper feels like a waste of time as I am always useless in a T10 match. Hipper is fun in coop though. Not sure I want to bother with the grind to roon with how passive most T10 games are.

[INTEL]
Members
757 posts
7,968 battles

Nurnberg is no grind. Its one crazy fun ship once you learn its quirks. HE anything far away or that burns easy.. US and IJN BBs for example. The AP can be brutal on the superstructure of BB's and can turn nearly any cruiser it faces into a Citadel slot machine. 6 second reloads, and very good dispersion, and fast flat arch shells can make your target wish to be anywhere but in your range, especially a DD.

The AA on the C hull "can" be very effective for self defense but lacking enough DPS in the long range aura to be worth the effort, imo. The C hull loses 3 torp tubes per side and its fighter. Using DFAA means no Hydro. CV's aren't all that common but DD's and torp equipped cruisers are in every match. Using the fighter as a torp spotter while hydro is on cooldown works great.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Funny thing, the beginning of my grind through nurnberg was easy, then it became a pain where every other match I ate boatloads of damage while angled, glad those days are over, but Yorck, only thing that ship is bad at is killing DDs, gotten 2 High Calibers 25k xp in, although I don’t consider it fun, good yes, fun no. This is because it has ranks enough armor that it won’t take a lot of citadels, and you have to spam HE until you are 10km and less away from your target.

Edited by GabeTheDespot
Syntax and diction.

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

Well thank you everyone for the comments. It seems I'm split here because I know she can work well as a DD hunter but when I tried this in the konisburg I would always end up get focused on because everyone knows that she's an easy meal cit wise. Once I started to play it more as a support I did a lot better even ended up getting two krakens in her so I figured the nurnberg would be basically the same. So maybe I will play her more as a hybrid and go with the hull B instead of C and spec her like this main armament 1, aa mod 2, steering gears, and rudder shift.

Captain skills: PT/EM/DE/CE 

Playing the shoot and hide when people look at me game. I still like to support my team though by keeping the dds away from our bbs 

Members
1,513 posts
7,994 battles

Hey

If your in a Nurnberg and you get surprised by a cruiser, switch to AP because the AP rounds are very good up close and given the High rate of fire, they will do crazy damage.  With DD's, HE all the way and if he smokes up, flip on Hydro, watch for torps but go to work.  With BB's, avoid like the plague unless you have an absolute ambush and use you torps but take Priority Target, she can be very fragile but is capable of lots of great damage, a very fun ship to play.

Pete