You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheURLGuy

NO TOPIC, NO PROBLEM - Join the first FREE FOR ALL Community Scoop!

53 comments in this topic

[WGA]
WG Staff
143 posts
695 battles

meme-age.jpg

Sup. 

Typically, there's some cool new Premium ship or exciting new game feature to build a Scoop around, but this week is looking a little light. So I'm opening up the floodgates: I'll look at any piece of writing, video, or meme-ery related to whatever you're currently up to in World of Warships. 

Get creative! Here are some ideas to get you started...

Short Writing

• Review of a recent Premium ship you tried
  • Retelling of a cool battle you had (including replay file or after-battle result screen will increase your chances)
  • Something new or weird you've noticed about the game
  • Epic fanfiction of World of Warships mascots/characters/etc. (Don't be creepy)

Video

• Cool footage of you winning
  • Hilarious footage of you sucking
  • Goofy compilations of in-game shenanigans 
  • Review of a recent Premium ship you tried

Pics

• A cool design idea for an in-game ship
  • A hilarious design idea for a terrible in-game ship
  • Spicy memes
  • Your Cap-sona -- Draw yourself or another character in the Bad Advice style! 
  • Whatever you anime people are into these days 

SAME RULES ON COMMUNITY STANDARDS AND COPYRIGHT STUFF APPLY, FOLKS! 

Get going! 

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles

Hanging out with the fellas!

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,086 battles

THIS JUST IN.

Dateline: Emeryville

Famous and renown URLGuy at Wargaming NA, World of Warships Operation revealed to be a URL GAL! (see above photo)

Several known and infamous forum contributors were noted ta have said "huh?" along with "dude, thats so  yesterdays news!"

More news to follow!

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,086 battles

*grins* so the real contribution.. No Topic

I recently did some in depth reviews on the HSF Harekaze and a bare bones tactical reviews of RPF (Radio Position Finding), and the way of the fighting mind set,  but as of late the common topic has been "Burn baby Burn, death of the old Meta" and how the game has seen an increase in incendiary incidence.  To say it been getting hot in matches is only fanning the flames.. it's  .. it's so bad, we need a new word to label it with! Certainly I'm going to need something to maintain this level of "pun"ishment. Bah!  On with the serious stuff!

Judging from past experience players will balk like crazy over doing what they'll eventually have no choice but to do.   "The Current" sitting in a more defensive stance will just get you forced away from where you can decide caps and effect the battle.  We're all ready seeing many matches won by which side burns the other to the waterline first with the highest point spread.   The Brit BB's are going to be an issue, and the best way to deal with them is to hit them hard with AP damage that they cannot repair.  That means moving to where you can get the shots.  I know I know.  I used that word "moving".  The currently testing smoke changes are also going to effect that.   The battle ball in the smoke meem hadn't quite made it from tournament play to main stream play but it was on its way.  The smoke change is going to hammer that  set of tactics painfully flat for any but the most expert of players who will end up developing new tactics centered around smoke use.   That series of tactics typically involved moving to a strong position where you could dominate movement with fire power, while mainting a near stationary focus of force under continuously cycling smokes.   Large ships flash lighting themselves in smoke is going to pretty much strip the defensive benefit out of that tactic.    

The meem I do believe the Warships devs are aiming for is "Use it, or Loose it".   There is an overall objective to all these little changes we seen.   It's like watching a puzzle get worked on.   But the one thing they've always said is they want a game where players get in there and play aggressively.   The rather remarkable amount of fire damage being delt out right now can only be reduced by players going out there and taking the "fire" boats out of play by direct action.    Of course knowing this, saying this, and getting everyone to be doing this is going to be a...... "process".  Remember that "balk" statement I made? Yea, process.  Once upon a time only the Cleveland and the occasional Atlanta were know for causing such havoc, hate,and discontent.  Now we've got a line of high tier BB's that are right over the top with it.  It's especially bad right now because you know the Brit BB's are the new thing.   It's sort it's self out over time as player develop tactics to deal with it.  The changes in smoke mechanics are going to be yet another joker int he deck.  Tactics will have to change because smoke is not going to be the type of defense it was.  Still useful, still very useful.  But players will have to learn to deal with the effect  of flash lighting them selves when they are in smoke.

And this brings us back to that meem.  "use it or loose it"  and clan battle I think are also likely to also push that concept. There are a good many hints in that direction when taken all together with whats happening in the game mechanics.  More to come there.  Just looking at the barest little bit on the test server as of yet.  Taht's just a frame work testing modules and functions that'll get replicated to create more bits of fun fluff and chrome in the clans wars system.  Clan wars is really pretty much a separate game played by a clan as a whole.    And I'm seeing hints toward a real frame work of semi dynamic battle creation against other clans perhaps culminating in a regular ongoing clan war sort of campaign.  It could almost end up being somewhat "Eve" like down the road.. but thats like a couple years.  Consider some of the maps for "Operations" being used for an objective type battle in clan wars.. consider some of those maps with AI ships, and shore facilities to be killed but against human opponents on both sides.   We all ready know clans will have a resource called "oil".  There's another resource's that could be added say.. "Steel".   That growing and maintaining the clan is going to take resources in the clan wars format is so far looking fairly obvious.  It the how that going to be a blast discovering,  and some times really frustrating discovering!

Warlord sends.

Members
1,506 posts
1,138 battles
2 hours ago, TheURLGuy said:
  • A cool design idea for an in-game ship
  • A hilarious design idea for a terrible in-game ship

I will not rest! 

Until!

We get! 

MONITORS!

HMS_Marshal_Ney.jpg.d8a9a08700173252e966c5cbfa667fcb.jpg

• Cool 4

[5IN]
Members
209 posts
17,666 battles

Here is my most recent Video showing the Gallants' single fire torp prowess in a few game moments lol 

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,187 battles

I've read poems, I've read rap

seen gifs and video till I snap.

corgis, kittens, seal clubbin' too

ships not pets, it ain't no zoo.

you troll me, I troll right back

write some smack, i'll smack right back

mostly, I suck at this game

but I love it all, just the same.

(drops keyboard)  :o)

Edited by not_acceptable
keeping it PG rated
  • Cool 6

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles

My spicy meymey. Enjoy URL Guy! Love your work!

Flints and an Atlanta.jpg

Edited by AtlanticRim
  • Cool 2

WG Staff
33 posts
1,814 battles

I think that I shall never see
A ship branch lovely as UK BBs.

Ships whose HE is the best
To enemies nought but a pest; 

With low- and high-tier ways to play,
They're ships that brawl or sneak away;

Undaunted, their guns always dare
To light up seas with firey flare 

Of massive shells that fall like rain: 
'oer foes who shall be surely slain.

Poem writing may be free
Anon, so are UK BBs.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,345 battles

Some time ago, I designed a ship. It wasn't nearly as insane as it sounds...

I started with the USS Texas. I removed each of the 5 turrets for her 356mm twins and replaced each of them with two side-by-side turrets using the Konigsberg triple 150s. 

You only give up about 2.5 kilometers of firing range (on the Texas with fully upgraded Captain's Skills). From a naval architecture point of view, I would bet that you could run the 150s slightly hot (i.e. slightly more powder) to get a better range because the Texas is a much more stable platform than a light cruiser. 

What you gain is an almost disturbing amount of damage potential (and this is all without considering adrenaline rush, which is almost necessary for the Texas and almost frightening on the 'berg). 

In a pure broadside, the Texas, firing AP, has the potential for slightly over 200,000 damage points per minute (being generous with the actual firing rate and assuming citadels with every shot... HA!)
In my modified Texas, the damage potential is much, much more. You have 15 guns firing 8 rounds per minute. So that's a potential of 120 shells on target per minute. Using HE, that's a potential of just over 200,000 damage per minute and about 6 fires. 

At certain angles (and I'll be really negative here and say it's about 45 degrees off center), you can get the off-side turrets into play too. So, at an angle of 45 degrees from center front, you get all twelve triple turrets in the front of the ship, plus the 3 triple turrets on the side (I figure that moving the middle turrets further to the sides of the ship would allow them a larger field of fire). So that's 21 guns firing. That's almost 300,000 HE damage per minute. 

Double to Triple the damage potential for a loss of 2.5 kilometers of range. 

I've actually done the math and the Texas would be able to physically hold the turrets both in size and mass. Plus with smaller guns, it could hold so very much more ammunition (not that we worry about that in game). 

I used the 'berg guns because they have some of the best range in their tier. You could do the same with American guns, but I'd have to jump tiers to the Cleveland. In that case (and I haven't done the design math on these), you would lose a total of 4.5 kilometers of range, but would gain another 20% damage. So about 240k for a full broadside and about 360k per minute for a 45 angle. 

Not to mention the speed of the turret rotation would help the Texas deal with it's... ummm... rudder challenges. 

Basically, any ship within the range of the Texas exists only because the Texas allows it to. 

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
879 posts
2,816 battles

Well, take this as you may, but I have a Tier x(as in, idk what the tier would be, but it'll be higher than Tier 10) USN BB. 59b21d96f28ef_USSTexas.thumb.png.67e3bb490ef0b1c790c9f3bc0d503895.png

USS Texas, BBX-1

Built between 1937 and 1941, Texas is the pride of the United States First Fleet, a secret fighting force located somewhere in the South Pacific. Sitting at a staggering 700 thousand tons, her 2000 foot long and 190 foot wide hull provides enough space to create a fearsome warship.

Her main battery of 40"/55 Mark 5 guns command a range of 50 miles and anything that wanders into a target lock will be pulverized by 18 naval rifles slinging 3 15 ton shells a minute. Texas is also immune to aircraft attacks due to her impressive anti-aircraft battery. 18 triple turrets, armed with the same guns that comprise the main battery of the Des Moines class heavy cruisers, provide a heavy rain of projectiles onto any enemy vessel that enters into range as well as any plane that decides to venture into their AA envelope. Her Torpedo Defense is highly sophisticated, with a very high torpedo reduction, around 80-90%.

All of her main and secondary battery guns are capable of firing with great accuracy, even while in local control. This is due to Texas' secondary role as a command ship. Buried deep within her hull are 9 Combat Information Centers, and one "War Room", all of which are capable of controlling the weaponry aboard her and her allies. 

Her 14 7-blade propellers give her an amazing 35 knot speed and her four rudders give her an extremely tight turning circle for a ship her size, just a little over 1.5 km.

Gimmicks

Well, Tex here doesn't really have any gimmicks, except that she's the only ship to have Survivability, Artillery, and AA Defense at 100 fully stock. She also boasts the only negative Concealment, being visible for 24 km by the sea, and 19 km by air. Oh, also, due to her shell weight and bore, she's also the only ship that ignores bounce and overmatch mechanics, with only very sharp angles saving that nice shiny Yamato you just bought from certain doom. She also has the ability to launch four F4U Corsair fighters, two B-17G heavy Bombers and one B-117 Super Heavy Bomber which will attack enemy planes and ships until they are shot down. 

Basically, there's nothing saving you from her reign, unless you manage to cripple her by slamming a torpedo through her shafts, which will knock out both her rudder and engine. Then, you can just HE-Spam your heart out taking out her AA mounts, until that Enterprise sitting in the back corner decides to start using her glorious AP bombs to slowly take out the secondary mounts. TL;DR, One torpedo is all it takes to kill this beast, once she's dead in the water, pound her for all you're worth.

Now, I bet you're wondering who would play all the other ships in the game if this was released? Well, everyone, because there is only one of this ship. That's Right. Only one lucky person gets to sip martinis while relaxing on a gleaming teak deck whilst in the middle of a battle. If Texas is in the Random Queue, then the battle she loads into will become a Texas Encounter. To put it basically, five ships with Texas on their side and the rest of the players on the other. Now, there must be an incentive for people to fight against her, right? After all, a ship this OP would just force everyone to exit the battle as soon as they load if not properly compensated for their troubles. The person who actually kills Texas, on top of normal rewards, will receive 10k doubloons, a special "Texas-Hunter" flag, and Now, just throwing Texas into random battles would be no good.  a week of premium time. Everyone else who damaged the ship will get doubloons equal to the percentage of damage done to Texas by said player, and 3-5 days of premium time.

And to wrap this up, why create such a ship? Well, Because I can.

59b2288810318_pp220x200-pad220x200ffffff_u2.jpg.b03e3f948d58bb231fdc840ffbbf37c6.jpg

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
11 hours ago, not_acceptable said:

I've read poems, I've read rap

seen gifs and video till I snap.

corgis, kittens, seal clubbin' too

ships not pets, it ain't no zoo.

you troll me, I troll right back

write some smack, i'll smack right back