You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Roon Tactics

25 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,969 battles

Hey guys/gals,

Just finished grinding the Neptune and Donskoi at T9 (thanks for the forum advice on Donskoi....it was helpful), and shortly going to start working on Roon and FDG.  Haven't really had much of a taste of Roon yet, but can it be assumed she plays a lot like Admiral Hipper before her?  Hipper was an enjoyable grind for me, so I'm just interested to know if there are any playstyle adjustments to Roon before I dive in.

You guys are always a wealth of information, so the feedback is always much appreciated.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,284 battles

Three words:  kite, kite and kite.

With 2 of her 3 turrets in the rear, that is where she excels.  AP is excellent, and every once in awhile you might get to use the torpedoes.  Add demo expert and fires start fairly easily.  Use your best WASD hacks and with the heals available you will last long enough to do good damage.  Don't be afraid to use AP on BB's at short to medium range, and on CA's at any range.

I have mine stealthed up, so I will try to get in close, then turn away from my target before I start firing.  This has worked well for me.  We'll see what others say.  :Smile_great:

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,378 battles

Roon is a long range sniping, kiting machine, that's pretty much it.

Clarification: I play her much like DreadRaybo describes, approach to close to detection range, turn away, pew-pew, run away.  I like to stay about 16-18 klicks out (sometimes more, depending) so that I'm in the target's high dispersion range.  Get in too close, or spend too much broadside, and you're askin' for a paddlin'.

Edited by Korval_BB55
because

[-K-]
Beta Testers
189 posts
3,929 battles

as others have mentioned kiting is key, the turret positioning favors angling away heavily, i take mbm3 mod instead of range lowering the reload to 8.8s combine that with AR and you have a heavy cruiser that can either pump out fires or shred anything giving broadside with your high alpha AP.

Roon is an absolute monster at tier 9, by far my favorite cruiser at the tier, hope you enjoy her as much as i have.

Edited by CesilTheDiddler

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,509 posts
7,393 battles

^^^ These guys pretty much summed it up.  Angling away was the most effective tactic for me as well..

I divisioned with a DD clanmate a lot... Run in with them, hide and turn in their smoke, run away and shoot.. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by OtterWolf
spell check

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,969 battles
15 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

as others have mentioned kiting is key, the turret positioning favors angling away heavily, i take mbm3 mod instead of range lowering the reload to 8.8s combine that with AR and you have a heavy cruiser that can either pump out fires or shred anything giving broadside with your high alpha AP.

Roon is an absolute monster at tier 9, by far my favorite cruiser at the tier, hope you enjoy her as much as i have.

Hope so too, as Donkoi felt like a real grind until the last 10-15 games in her.  Hoping for a nice smooth grind, this time around.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,535 battles

I will add, hope that you don't see any high-tier RN BBs on the other team, and if you do, stay the F away from them. You can't stop their HE, you can't kill them, and you can't even spot them until you're RIP-close.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles

I go with reload mod and not range mod, as some others do. 

Main points have been brought up. Go stealth build, get close without being spotted, turn around and start shooting. If you need to run away you are already pointed the right way and you can fire as many turrets at them as they can at you. 

Secondary build can can be hilarious at times. 

[RIPQP]
Members
3,710 posts
14,557 battles

If you are ever top tier with Roon you can unleash your inner Chikatilo and murder T7 cruisers ships up close and personal.

LEjZyAO.jpg?1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,116 battles
25 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I will add, hope that you don't see any high-tier RN BBs on the other team, and if you do, stay the F away from them. You can't stop their HE, you can't kill them, and you can't even spot them until you're RIP-close.

Doesn't this apply to basically everyone?

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey guys/gals,

Just finished grinding the Neptune and Donskoi at T9 (thanks for the forum advice on Donskoi....it was helpful), and shortly going to start working on Roon and FDG.  Haven't really had much of a taste of Roon yet, but can it be assumed she plays a lot like Admiral Hipper before her?  Hipper was an enjoyable grind for me, so I'm just interested to know if there are any playstyle adjustments to Roon before I dive in.

You guys are always a wealth of information, so the feedback is always much appreciated.

Nope. She has 3 on the nose 6 on the rear. You get into a kiting position and just fire from range. Don't bother with the ROF module, RANGE. Do not get up close with this ship. Stay at range and rain hell.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
52 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I go with reload mod and not range mod, as some others do. 

Main points have been brought up. Go stealth build, get close without being spotted, turn around and start shooting. If you need to run away you are already pointed the right way and you can fire as many turrets at them as they can at you. 

Secondary build can can be hilarious at times. 

Naa. She doesn't turn well enough for that. You try to wreck up close, usually you're the wrecked one. Long range sniper. Especially since those 203s got buffed. Now Hindenburg, you can pull the stealth in and unleash hell.

[OO7]
Members
87 posts
11,241 battles

play sniper at beginning, once you get focused just kiting with HE, later game in 1on1 condition or u are not focused, Roon can be a AP monster plus u have trops for yolo.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Nope. She has 3 on the nose 6 on the rear. You get into a kiting position and just fire from range. Don't bother with the ROF module, RANGE. Do not get up close with this ship. Stay at range and rain hell.

Except that the range the ship has is already sufficient. If you are shooting at targets far enough away that the range mod matters then you and yout ship don't matter. 

You don't always use range, but you can always use RoF.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

once fully upgraded, i went double rudder and ROF module.   it is agile ship that can dish out the dmg.     

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,484 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Naa. She doesn't turn well enough for that. You try to wreck up close, usually you're the wrecked one. Long range sniper. Especially since those 203s got buffed. Now Hindenburg, you can pull the stealth in and unleash hell.

You seldom have the luxury of being able to stay at range if you want to win games.

Though you are correct that you don't go out of your way to try to wreck up close. Sometimes it simply happens due to circumstance. Just go watch my replay where I got 100k damage in my Hindenburg... with torpedoes.

Members
3 posts
2,818 battles

I guess I play as an odd duck in the Roon.  I run a full concealment AA spec.  I actually prefer following DDs into island heavy caps then getting into knife fights.  Ambushing BBs up close and personal vs engaging them at range tends to make for more exciting fights, too.  I pretty regularly see 10k+ volleys at those ranges and I get to make use of my torpedos pretty regularly.  Then, the rather beefy AA makes a no fly zone for you and your friendly neighborhood DD.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
59 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

You seldom have the luxury of being able to stay at range if you want to win games.

Though you are correct that you don't go out of your way to try to wreck up close. Sometimes it simply happens due to circumstance. Just go watch my replay where I got 100k damage in my Hindenburg... with torpedoes.

Well the point ofnthr range is already good is valid, but any time I tried to fight 15km or closer I usually got my head handed to me. If I stayed away 16-18km I was usually better off until late game. I mean sure my ability to influence decreases but surviving where I can be more of a threat ended up being the order of the day. With Hindenburg I tend to push up a bit more and take more chances.

1 hour ago, centarina said:

once fully upgraded, i went double rudder and ROF module.   it is agile ship that can dish out the dmg.     

Sure great rudder shift but one thing you can't get around. 780m turn radius. That's BB level. Sure that rudder can zip around but she still can't get that helm around very fast once you get that rudder over.

Only so much a fast rudder can do with a pretty damn big turn radius.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

lol.  if i can make  donskoi work,    roon feels like F1 racer by comparison.          even though I am beginning to really like donskoi,  roon just feel more competent.    why I kept it even after having hberg. 

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
15 minutes ago, centarina said:

lol.  if i can make  donskoi work,    roon feels like F1 racer by comparison.          even though I am beginning to really like donskoi,  roon just feel more competent.    why I kept it even after having hberg. 

I sold mine. I have fond memories of Roon, but Hindenburg is just so much better.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,231 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey guys/gals,

IMG_1061.JPG.751d321238adaa15dff5042378d31587.JPG 

This is now you. Farm BB salt by setting them on fire over and over again whilst dodging their return fire with ease. Never before has a ship given me so many Witherer or Arsonist medals, not even Cleveland. Stay at range, then close the distance and use your tough hull to take on remaining cruisers in the late game. Hydro is your friend, use it effectively. Sneaking up on a smoke cloud and popping 2 Shimakazes into view in front of your team is absolutely hilarious.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

hberg is definitely more of a battleship.        havn't used it enough to really get comfy with it, but have done alright  with few matches I have had with it.    for now,   i seem to like t9 ships  for some reason.  I think better MM and cheaper service cost is part of it.       may be once I am done with grind, I will get comfy with t10 botes.  :D

Roon is still the best t9 cruiser and very capable.  

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,969 battles
12 hours ago, centarina said:

Roon is still the best t9 cruiser and very capable.  

Now if they would just give her the raked funnel cap from Hipper, she would be visually appealing as well.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,964 posts
8,109 battles

I went RoF and stealth build. Roon's AA is adequate vs. T8 planes with just AA range mod and AFT, but you'll need full AA spec to dent T9-10 planes, which does include giving up hydro.

For this CA, you need to dictate your engagements and have escape routes to be successful. HE everything, including DDs (aiming for middle to reset their torp tubes). AP is improved from Hipper, even at max range I can get plunging fire that pens even KMS BB decks; unless the BB begins turning, AP > HE for damage per volley, and especially use AP vs. KMS DDs as they trigger the pens easily.

Careful not to charge to hydro smoke, as frequently your BB and CA teammates will not follow. I made it a point to let them lead the charge, or I cannot hit the DD.

Using the above "point your stern" requires being in range, as it's easy to forget 1/4 throttle--and Roon's armor is not good at bouncing BB AP most of the time.

Double rudder is more difficult as this cruiser loses 35% of her speed during a turn and with only 31.5 knots top speed, you're not very good at escaping.

• Cool 1