You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Firing on Ships Moving at an Angle??

6 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,033 battles

I"m trying to improve my game play and the absolute hardest thing for me is hitting ships that are travelling at any kind of angle. 

I've watched Notser's and iChase's videos on reticule use. I will try the dynamic one for a while. 

I normally use the number 7 because it has the angled lines (with notches). The idea is that if the ship is moving at an angle, then you can estimate the angle and adjust more accurately. And it works... to a point. But it fails miserable at angles more than about 35 degrees from horizontal. 

Yes, I know... "Why are you shooting at ships at that angle?"

Many reasons... it's the last ship left in the match and it's running. It's the ship that is most dangerous to me. It's the only ship in view/range. Whatever. 

Any help appreciated (snark... not so much). 

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts

I am currently finding the static Type 9 really helpful as it has additional lines at angles to help with this sort of shot. Honestly though I do a lot of it by feel just based on experience shooting enough times at ships running in that vector.

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,665 battles

I use Type 7 as well and it is very useful to tell you if the ship is angled and how angled they are to you. However, I do not use it tell me exactly where to shoot on the ship and would not advise you to do that either. If the ship seems too angled then it is just better to aim for superstructure with AP or switch to HE (unless yamato).  

-Most of my shots are done on a "this feels right" and there is no math or anything complex involved...

Edited by FratStar4Life

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I use Type 7 as well. Generally just for angles of ships, because I rarely use the shell flight time, or hash marks for aiming. I generally just dead eye it.

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,962 battles
2 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

I"m trying to improve my game play and the absolute hardest thing for me is hitting ships that are travelling at any kind of angle. 

I've watched Notser's and iChase's videos on reticule use. I will try the dynamic one for a while. 

I normally use the number 7 because it has the angled lines (with notches). The idea is that if the ship is moving at an angle, then you can estimate the angle and adjust more accurately. And it works... to a point. But it fails miserable at angles more than about 35 degrees from horizontal. 

Yes, I know... "Why are you shooting at ships at that angle?"

Many reasons... it's the last ship left in the match and it's running. It's the ship that is most dangerous to me. It's the only ship in view/range. Whatever. 

Any help appreciated (snark... not so much). 

I use the eight or nine. One that does have all the angles on it.  I use chain-firing to effect in the Cleveland. If it is a juicy close broadside, I will double click. I hope, there is no evidence, that on some ships the shells from one turret might fall in a different fire area than the others. I got 3 fires on a North Carolina in one salvo doing that. 

If it doesn't do any better mathematically, the sound of Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump, is pretty cool.