You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Deputy276

Premium shop "lacking"

167 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,101 battles

Anyone else tired of seeing the SOS in the Prem shop? I mean how long are we going to see WG milk these HSF ships to death? Meanwhile, other ships that were in the shop for a short time seem to have disappeared. The Italian Duca and the French De Grassyknoll both spent the shortest time in history in the Prem shop. And they haven't been back since their first release. Were they that bad a seller that WG just won't bring them back or what?

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

What it lacks is the full product line. That's all. They should put the full product line in the shop at full price and then just reduce the price of what they are trying to promote at the moment. The way they do it is ignorant. I would have bought the Kaga and Okhotnik by now if they were there.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 4

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

You might want to get used to the HSF ships being there.

They will be in the shop until 9/30/2018.

It's not that they are being milked for all they are worth, its just that's how long the promotion with HSF dictates they remain.

• Cool 1

[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
551 posts
3,913 battles

The premium shop is badly managed, WG could make much more money than they do. Lots of money ready to be spent but the shop does not offer anything interesting for long periods of time.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts

While some of us would buy some additional ships if they were all in the shop, many players spend more money because they perceive something as exclusive when first released and dont want to wait on the uncertainty of when it would return.

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
Just now, _Luna said:

You might want to get used to the HSF ships being there.

They will be in the shop until 9/30/2018.

It's not that they are being milked for all they are worth, its just that's how long the promotion with HSF dictates they remain.

I think they are quite fine there as should all of the Premium ships. Say you want Orange juice, The grocer is promoting apple juice and takes all other juice off of the shelves except for Apple and say Plum juice. You don't want Apple or Plum juice so you buy nothing. How does this marketing strategy work? It make no sense, it's stupid.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles

Wargaming North America runs their premium shop in the following manner:

• Offer a selection of "workhorse" premiums that are constantly available.  The rotation of said ships is anywhere between 8 months to 2+ years.  These include ships like Atago, Molotov, and Saipan.  This also includes the High School Fleet ships which will endure in the shop for well over a year due to the license agreement.
  • New ships are (usually) offered over a 2-week window.  The exception to this are ships that are a part of a campaign (Hood, Graf Spee) which enjoyed a month in the shops.  New releases come out roughly every two weeks, so there's almost always something new in the stores.
  • To supplement these releases, every weekend a ship is made available from Friday through to Monday morning.  This will usually be something that hasn't been available for some time (1 month+).
  • This does not include the "free experience" premiums (Nelson, Missouri) nor the campaign premiums (Shinonome) which are permanently available.

This is a fairly decent way of setting up their premium shop.  There's a good selection of existing premiums that will appeal to new players.  Veterans of the game that have been playing less than a year will still see new stuff crop up in the form of new releases (every 2 weeks) and on weekends (every week).  Old timey veterans, like myself, will only see new stuff every couple of weeks.

• Cool 8

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

While some of us would buy some additional ships if they were all in the shop, many players spend more money because they perceive something as exclusive when first released and dont want to wait on the uncertainty of when it would return.

Impulse buying is for gum and the Enquirer. If my Ribeye isn't there I will go to another store to spend my money. WG's ships are not cheap I don't think people think like that when buying them. It's more a matter if they can spend that much at the time. Now that I have the money for the Okhotnik it's not there and when it comes back I might not again.

• Cool 3

[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
551 posts
3,913 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Impulse buying is for gum and the Enquirer. If my Ribeye isn't there I will go to another store to spend my money. WG's ships are not cheap I don't think people think like that when buying them. It's more a matter if they can spend that much at the time. Now that I have the money for the Okhotnik it's not there and when it comes back I might not again.

Exactly.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

This is a fairly decent way of setting up their premium shop.

Fairly decent is not great though. The way It is set up I could die before I can buy the Okhotnik or the Kaga for my collection. I guess it's just because I want all of the ships and besides the unobtainables, those are the two I am missing. Well Graf Zep also I had the money for it a day late.

Members
9,863 posts
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

• Offer a selection of "workhorse" premiums that are constantly available.  The rotation of said ships is anywhere between 8 months to 2+ years.  These include ships like Atago, Molotov, and Saipan.  This also includes the High School Fleet ships which will endure in the shop for well over a year due to the license agreement.
  • New ships are (usually) offered over a 2-week window.  The exception to this are ships that are a part of a campaign (Hood, Graf Spee) which enjoyed a month in the shops.  New releases come out roughly every two weeks, so there's almost always something new in the stores.
  • To supplement these releases, every weekend a ship is made available from Friday through to Monday morning.  This will usually be something that hasn't been available for some time (1 month+).
  • This does not include the "free experience" premiums (Nelson, Missouri) nor the campaign premiums (Shinonome) which are permanently available.

This is a fairly decent way of setting up their premium shop.  There's a good selection of existing premiums that will appeal to new players.  Veterans of the game that have been playing less than a year will still see new stuff crop up in the form of new releases (every 2 weeks) and on weekends (every week).  Old timey veterans, like myself, will only see new stuff every couple of weeks.

The question is...does it really work?

Based on the anemic content upgrades and failing to the even have any type of competitive team play in place two years out of beta, I have to question whether this over priced premium system is really working out all that well.

If they were really bringing in money, would they have gotten so cheap with rewards?

[SIM]
Members
2,429 posts
4,060 battles

They just rotated the stock like two weeks ago. You now have open access to ships like the Hood and Kaga, and some uncommon low tier premiums. Do you own all of the premiums? If not, there's probably something there for you.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
12 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Thanks for the information LWM

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Based on the anemic content upgrades and failing to the even have any type of competitive team play in place two years out of beta, I have to question whether this over priced premium system is really working out all that well.

If they were really bringing in money, would they have gotten so cheap with rewards?

The short answer is:  Yes.
The long answer is:  Yeeeesssssssss.

It pays to keep in mind that the target audience for World of Warships is the new player -- not the veteran.  Everything is built around recruitment and short-term retention.  They're still laying the foundation for long term retention (Ranked Battles being the first staple, Clan Wars intended to be the next).

• Cool 2

[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
551 posts
3,913 battles

Most people don't realize that only 25% of the players spend money during the entire time playing WoWs. The premium shop is there to cater for the people willing to spend money not for the rest 75%.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
7 minutes ago, awiggin said:

WG just made a massive purchase of another developer/studio. And now also focusing on mobile games as well. So obviously they're making some money.

Edited by renegadestatuz

Members
2,748 posts
6,232 battles

The rotation and availability of the ships doesn't really bother me that much. I would like see them offer all of the signal flags though instead of just the "credit" ones.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,359 battles
21 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The short answer is:  Yes.
The long answer is:  Yeeeesssssssss.

It pays to keep in mind that the target audience for World of Warships is the new player -- not the veteran.  Everything is built around recruitment and short-term retention.  They're still laying the foundation for long term retention (Ranked Battles being the first staple, Clan Wars intended to be the next).

This^^^  To new players the premium ships are all shiny and new, so it literally doesn't matter which ones are in the shop and for how long.  Veteran players will either make a calculated purchase, or just throw money to be a collector. The collector will just buy it immediately, others will read reviews in advance and make a deliberate decision to buy. Either way, a ship doesn't have to be in the shop for months to be sold to the majority of players who want it.  Also, I am sure they track the number of purchases per hour of a particular ship, so they have a pretty good idea of when sales will drop off.

19 minutes ago, Bl4ckBaron said:

Most people don't realize that only 25% of the players spend money during the entire time playing WoWs. The premium shop is there to cater for the people willing to spend money not for the rest 75%.

Not to doubt you, but where is that statistic from?

[WG-CC]
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
20 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

Not to doubt you, but where is that statistic from?

It's a decent thumbnail statistic about the paying to non-paying portion of the population.  I believe it's closer to 1:10, though.  Lemme see if I can dig up a dev quote.

Here we go.  From https://www.superdataresearch.com/mmo-arpu/

From April, 2014: 

• "[World of Tanks] has a monthly active user base of around 9.1 million and makes $4.51 per month per user."
  • "World of Tanks also sports a superb conversion rate (share of users who pay) of over 25%, which is also sky-high in this industry."

World of Warships borrows from this similar style of monetization, though I cannot find any raw statistics for how successful it is compared to World of Tanks in its prime.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,365 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • "[World of Tanks] has a monthly active user base of around 9.1 million and makes $4.51 per month per user."
  • World of Tanks also sports a superb conversion rate (share of users who pay) of over 25%, which is also sky-high in this industry.

That's some serious moolah there.

I'd like to see more/variety of stuff in the premium shop to, but I think that if it was all the same all the time, it would get stale, and the dev's apparently can't pump out new premiums *that* quickly.

I still wish they'd do something like sister ship reskins that weren't expensive boondoggles like Prinz Eugen.  Things like maybe Salt Lake City or Houston (Cleveland class), or Detroit, for example.

Another simple and potentially very interesting one would be HMS Delhi with the US 5"/38 turrets.  Should be too hard, but would be very amusing.

But that's just me.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

They do try new things from time to time, like the current PayPal promo.

Of course, this particular one sucks; the "bonus missions" are a joke equivalent to one and a half Equal Speed Charlie London and Hotel Zulu flags.

Members
728 posts
3,794 battles

I got the HSF Harekaze but I already had the Graf Spee.  I missed the Duca though.  I should have liked to get that.

AND, if they offer an actual Armada on Black Friday or Christmas again (as in, everything, not just some, but everything) I would buy it.

~B