You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMAS_Sea_Shepherd

20km Torpedoes

20 comments in this topic

[3COWS]
Members
82 posts
6,561 battles

War gamming, please can we do something about 20km torps, these maps are way to small, even 15km torps are too long

I believe that torps should be capped at 12km, considering the levels of concealment

Everyone's thoughts?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

Anyone using the 20 km torpedoes are doing it wrong anyways, the 12 km torpedoes are way better. The 20 km ones take so long to get to their destination, plus are the most visible torpedoes in the game, making hitting anything much less likely than when using the 12 km ones.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,709 battles

Replace it with the 15km torpedo from the old T8 Fubuki.

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles

Hmmm....I thought 20km torps on Shima were removed ages ago.  Didn't realize this was still even an issue.

Members
396 posts
9,434 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Hmmm....I thought 20km torps on Shima were removed ages ago.  Didn't realize this was still even an issue.

They haven't but they are not an issue as Lert said above... they are completely useless as they are seen from Mars, you have to try yo get hit by them.

WG makes you play through the 20's (or freexp) to "upgrade" to the 8/12km torps.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,419 posts

Jeez 20km! Can you even see the target?

Honestly by the time they get there the next game will have started! I can see the point of using torps with a range outside or  close to the avarage radar range, but to far and I can't see how they can be effective.

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles
9 minutes ago, bewbs_ said:

WG makes you play through the 20's (or freexp) to "upgrade" to the 8/12km torps.

Interesting tactic by WG considering their efforts to rid the seas of these during the "torpedo soup" days.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,667 battles
2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Jeez 20km! Can you even see the target?

Honestly by the time they get there the next game will have started! I can see the point of using torps with a range outside or  close to the avarage radar range, but to far and I can't see how they can be effective.

They are just a minefield for area denial.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

The only things you hit with 20km torpedoes are:

• AFKers in the enemy spawn
  • CVs you didn't know were there
  • Friendlies who went C when you launched from A
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,709 battles

20km fish with TA was my weekend potato harvester for some time. Launched from across the map toward the red spawn and I could usually hit someone camping there. Great for LOLs. Not for wins.

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

I never liked them as they limited your options. You could only use then when you were in front of your team, and fire them directly across the map at the enemy.

You could not flank the enemy and fire from their sides or rear as the torpedo's would often run into friendly areas if they missed, which they did often.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
58 minutes ago, Lert said:

Anyone using the 20 km torpedoes are doing it wrong anyways, the 12 km torpedoes are way better. The 20 km ones take so long to get to their destination, plus are the most visible torpedoes in the game, making hitting anything much less likely than when using the 12 km ones.

i-couldnt-agree.jpg

@Lert is right the 12 km torps are the way to go, they give you a nice balance of range, speed and viability. Used my Corgi account to test the 3 top torp sets on the Yugumo and Shimikaze. The 12 km ones were the best , however different people have different playstyles so it depends.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Remember, the Gearing's torps go 16.5km without all of the baggage that Shima's 20km torps have.

The 20km torps can be used effectively, but you basically require Torpedo Acceleration (so now you're on 16km range) and you're firing at camping ships with poor acceleration and maneuverability. Everything else that gets hit is a fluke.

The 12km are the way to go. The extra 3 second reload is negligible and you don't really need too much more range than that. Detection, speed, and damage are all improvements.

[SYN]
Members
4,524 posts
11,433 battles

The Shim's 20km torpedoes are a non-issue.  They're spotted miles away and - unless you're in a stock Iowa caught at broadside -  are easy to avoid.

The torpedoes fired from Gearings with Torpedo Acceleration skill.  Those are fish you should be afraid of.

[NSEW]
Members
413 posts
7,896 battles

If you get hit by  20km torpedoes (with silly detection range), you've clearly taken your situational awareness off your screen whilst trying to delete a bote...

[TF-64]
Members
364 posts
12,576 battles

Please quit telling everyone about gearing Torps with TA. I use these will pretty decent success. I don't need more people watching out for me when that scary shima is out there getting more of Thier attention. If they start paying more attention to me then I lose some of the surprise. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,147 posts
3,867 battles

I've long suggested removing Shimakaze's 20km torpedoes in exchange for buffing her 12km torpedoes.

Or shortening the range on the 20s (to 16) in exchange for buffing their speed and reducing their ridiculously stupid detection range.

Edited by AraAragami

Members
537 posts
2,753 battles

20km torps are total trash, no one uses them.  They can be seen miles away.